Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Following the Dream

Fallen Valkyrie

OOC: https://mlpforums.com/topic/144941-following-the-dream/?p=4305321

Following the Dream

Chapter I                    

Gathering Storm               

It was sunny day on the east coast of Equestria when the journey of our hero wannabe's started.Each of our 'heroes' comed to this small town of Oturna,because of diferent reason.Some came here because they looked for money,some looked for fun and some looked for knowledge.Yes,all  they joined this journey for a diferent reason,but all had same goal.To see what truly is Deverol is hiding.

It was a noon when our wannabe's reached the docks of Oturna.It was one slow day on docks,and so there were not many ponys around it today,mostly of population on docks were colts playing around.There were lot of ships in the docks,most of the ships were trader ships,thet had the flag of Equestria,there were couple of battle ships,with no flag so our wannabe's could not realy know to who they belong.But on the end,on far south there was one smaller ship,thet did not looked like it had flyed true the waters onces,and it name was Wolfhound.

On closer inspetion it looked like this ship,was noting more then another trader ship as it did not had anny wepons to defend it self on the open sea.

Edited by Primordus

Indus Moonquill checked his pocket watch as he approached the town dock. Approximately noon, so he was on time, yet nopony else had arrived yet.

He stuffed the watched back into the chest pocket of his suit jacket and waited around diligently. He could not lie to himself and say he was not looking forward to the across-sea journey; as a professor of Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, he felt the expedition would provide perfect learning material, especially given his position as teacher of Advanced Magical History. So he got himself time off to attend.

He took a deep breath, smelling the salty sea air, and waited. With his neat black mane, sharp white shirt, brown waistcoat and dark suit jacket, the navy-coated unicorn no doubt looked rather out of place on the pier surrounded by burly, rough-looking seagoers.

• Brohoof 1

Walking calmly down the uncrowded streets, Vivid Clover was headed towards the docks by the edge of the city, carrying with her a fancy-looking saddlebag. The sun above her head shone with magnificence, only to be retracted by the humid, somewhat depressive mood the town of Oturna exhaled.

Under normal circumstances, the mare would certainly avoid setting hoof onto these sorts of places. Being used to more sophisticated environments, it was no wonder that she had never heard of that trading port before. However, she anticipated something greater: an unexplored island, promising long lost treasures and valuable artifacts. If not by greed, her curiosity was what pushed her into following that map and accepting the mysterious flyer’s invite. As she began to daydream about seeing her name written on a newspaper’s front article under "Equestria’s latest billionaire", her mind was promptly clouded by the unbearable, unmistakable stench of fish.

"That must be the dock…" Clover quietly mumbled to herself in a sarcastic tone after rubbing her muzzle. The scenery suddenly changed from the gloomy port town, to an endless body of clear-blue water behind what seemed to be hundreds of trader ships. She briefly inspected the area, relieved by the fact that it wasn’t as crowded with traders as she originally imagined it to be. After cleaning up her glasses from the sea breeze's moisture, she took a few steps forward, wondering which one of those boats was going to be the one used for their expedition.

@@Unicorncob

As she approached, she spotted an exceptionally well-dressed unicorn pony between the greasy-looking sailors. Taking a guess, she assumed that he was also part of the exploration team.

"Hey, buddy." Clover called out from a distance while continuing to trot towards him. "You got one of those pamphlets as well, correct? …Do you happen to know who exactly are we supposed to meet here?"

As she approached, she spotted an exceptionally well-dressed unicorn pony between the greasy-looking sailors. Taking a guess, she assumed that he was also part of the exploration team.

"Hey, buddy." Clover called out from a distance while continuing to trot towards him. "You got one of those pamphlets as well, correct? …Do you happen to know who exactly are we supposed to meet here?"

Indus's ears twitched as he heard a voice calling out, and he turned his head to see a unicorn mare approaching and looking his way. No doubt she was addressing him.

Judging by her appearance and her expensive-looking saddlebag, no doubt she was no local. She must be part of the expedition team.

"In that order," he spoke up, in a light Canterlot accent, "Yes, I did receive a pamphlet, but as for our contact's identity, I'm afraid they remain a mystery, even to myself."

He turned his body to face her properly, and held out a hoof. "If we are to work together, I propose we get introductions done right away. Professor Indus Moonquill; teacher, author, historian."

@@Unicorncob

She smiled politely and shook the stallion’s hoof. "I’m Vivid Clover, but everyone just calls me Clover. Psychiatrist by the day, poker player by the night. Nice working with you." She would normally pay no mind to formal introductions since she did have more important details to worry about regarding the expedition, but seeing as they were most likely the two only members to have arrived up until that point - and that neither of them had further instructions on what to do -, getting to know each other seemed like a good idea. Besides, she was glad to know that an intelligent-looking pony with titles such as those would be joining the search as well. Perhaps getting along wasn’t going to be so difficult.

"I can’t recall the last time I set out to the sea." Clover mentioned after sitting down, staring at the horizon as if trying to find out where it ends. "We can’t know for sure whether this mysterious island deal is just a shameless hoax or not, but I do hope this will be a fun trip nevertheless." She said, being honest with herself. Even though she was primarily going after the treasures, the least she could do was enjoy that little adventure. After all, that was almost like a holiday trip.

"So, um... Now we play the waiting game, I believe?"

"Likewise, Vivid Clover," Indus returned the greeting with a bow of the head, A psychiatrist on the expedition would make things rather interesting indeed.

"I haven't been overseas since I studied in the Griffish Isles," he agreed, remembering his days as a younger stallion when he went abroad to study historical magic. He nodded at Clover's next point. "Yes, whatever happens, this will be an interesting voyage."

He nodded once again. "Yes, a game I don't really enjoy playing. At least, for long."

a young pegasus flew over the dock, looking for something. her light blue coat looked allmost white when the sun shone on it, and her pink manes where flying around her face as the wind played with them. her brown, basic looking saddlebag was full with everything somepony could need on a journey. summer looked like had seen something, she flew a bit lower and concluded it was where she was looking for, a ship called wolfhound There where two ponys standing near it, could they be the ponys summer would work with? Summer hoped they would be nice, and maybe around the same age as her. Summer felt exited to meet them and to start their journey to the unknown.

summer landed at the beginning of the dock and calmed herself down, she wanted to make a good first impression. She tried to get her manes to look a bit less messy. 'I should have made a pony tail' summer said to herself when she blew an earlock out of her face. when summer finaly had gotten her manes back in order she turned around and calmly walked to the other ponys. but when she came closer her exitemend got less and less, these pony's where a older then summer. and they where unicorns, summer didn't have anything against unicorns but she doesn't like magic. but they didn't look like bad ponys so summer would give them a chance

@@Unicorncob, @@Lume WMj,

'hello there' summer said when she reached the two unicorns 'I'm summer breeze, are you here to explorar the new world?' and she smiled to them. Summer was right, they both where older as summer, young adults. where summer was just a teenager. I'll just have to show them my best side summer thought.

then she looked a bit more carefully at the two unicorns standing in front of her. the mare had a brown coat and redish manes. she had a cutymark with playing cards with cogs. that must mean she likes to play card games She thought and was slightly dissapointed because summer didn't know any card games.

the stallion was blue with black manes, he was wearing a dark jacked and summer saw something which looked like a pocket watch. the stallion looked like he knew a lot, maybe he was a teacher or a doctor.

they both didn't really look like anypony summer knew, but she was sure they would get along. at least, she hoped so.

• Brohoof 1

@@Summer Breeze @@Unicorncob

"The new world? ...Ah, yes, indeed we are!" She responded to the young pegasus mare who identified herself as Summer Breeze. The question she’d asked implied that she was there for the exact same reason as Clover and the Professor. "I’m Vivid Clover – only Clover for short. Seems like the three of us are going to partake in this little journey together, eh?" She said with a smile on her face.

While she still didn’t know for certain how said journey was going to be carried out, Clover found it interesting how there were a few other individuals signing up for the matter. In a broad sense of thinking, more members meant more competition towards whatever valuables their findings could bring up, and more ponies to stand in the way. However, she decided not to feed those negative thoughts. After all, she definitely did not want to immediately make enemies out of those ponies. They both seemed kind and trustworthy thus far.

"Do you guys think anyone else will be joining us?" Clover decided to make some small talk. "Because if so, I guess they’re running a bit late... Then again, so is our supposed Captain." 

Indus couldn't help but let out the ghost of a smirk at the newcomer's question. Exploring the new world, now that would be an accolade.

Perhaps my next book could be an account of the journey, he mused.

As Clover introduced herself, the stallion put out a hoof to the young mare. "Professor Indus Moonquill, it is a pleasure."

He nodded agreement to Clover's comment. "Yes, whoever our contact is, they are being very unprofessional."

@@Unicorncob, @@Lume WMj,

'it's very nice to meet you both' summer said , she gave clover a gentle nod and shook the professor indus' hoof. then summer looked at professor indus 'you are a professor you say, but what are you teaching then, or do you do research? is that the reason you are here?' summer asked him. the last question had been buzzing around in her head already since she decided to participate in this. her own goal was to find new places and meet new ponys and other creatures, if there where any.

when the others addressed the possibility there might be others to join, summer said quickly 'I don't think there will be anypony else joining us. I flew around the area for quiet some time and I didn't see anypony who might not belong here, appart from you.' but then she realised she had been impulsive by saying that and she would look foolish if somepony else would come, so she quickly added: 'but, I could be wrong ofcourse' and she turned her head to look at the end of the dock, so it looked like she was looking if somepony else came. but she actually didn't want the others to see her cheeks turn red.

• Brohoof 1

then summer looked at professor indus 'you are a professor you say, but what are you teaching then, or do you do research? is that the reason you are here?' summer asked him. the last question had been buzzing around in her head already since she decided to participate in this. her own goal was to find new places and meet new ponys and other creatures, if there where any.

"Oh, I teach Advanced Magical History at Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns," Indus explained, a smirk of pride appearing on his muzzle, "I also do research on the matter. I studied Arcane Magics at the University of Trottingham, you know."

He was always happy to discuss his educational history, especially since history was a subject he held dear to his heart. All magic began somewhere, and he was always on a mission to find the beginnings of the shaping of the world.

'I don't think there will be anypony else joining us. I flew around the area for quiet some time and I didn't see anypony who might not belong here, appart from you.' but then she realised she had been impulsive by saying that and she would look foolish if somepony else would come, so she quickly added: 'but, I could be wrong ofcourse' and she turned her head to look at the end of the dock, so it looked like she was looking if somepony else came. but she actually didn't want the others to see her cheeks turn red.

"Hmm..." Clover briefly pondered about Summer Breeze’s statement. While the Professor explained about his fields of study, she took another quick look around the dock, where everything seemed to remain the same as when she arrived: a few fisherponies continually transported their merchandise in and out of the boats as a small flock of seagulls flying nearby eagerly awaited any leftovers. One more time, she levitated her glasses off and cleaned them with a small piece of cloth, then put them back on.

"Well, did you happen to find anything fun to do in this town while you were flying around the area, too?" Clover directed a follow-up question back to the pegasus mare. "Because when I got here, all I saw were filthy-looking taverns and fish markets." She said jokingly, yet sincerely. "Maybe we could do something while we wait... Otherwise, we should go find our boat. Wolfhound, isn't it?"

"Oh, I teach Advanced Magical History at Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns," Indus explained, a smirk of pride appearing on his muzzle, "I also do research on the matter. I studied Arcane Magics at the University of Trottingham, you know."
'magical history' summer repeated 'so you are history teacher! sound's nice. but you're also a student in magic, also nice, I guess' summer said, but was a little less exited about the last one. magic was not summers favorite thing, she actiually found it a bit scarry. but she didn't want the professor to know that, he might didn't like it if she said that.

"Well, did you happen to find anything fun to do in this town while you were flying around the area, too?" Clover directed a follow-up question back to the pegasus mare. "Because when I got here, all I saw were filthy-looking taverns and fish markets." She said jokingly, yet sincerely. "Maybe we could do something while we wait... Otherwise, we should go find our boat. Wolfhound, isn't it?"
'I don't know about the town, I flew over it to get here as quickly as possible' summer said to awnser clovers question, 'but when i flew over it, it looked rather boring' then clover said to go search for the boat 'it's not to far away' summer said 'I saw it when I came here, but then I saw you and decided to go here instead. the boat is that way. and maybe the captain is there to.' summer said to the others.
  • Brohoof 1

Clover looked over at the general direction Summer signaled, where a smaller ship than the rest stood anchored. It wasn’t noticeably different than the other boats around the dock, except for the fact that it didn’t look very appropriate for fishing – let alone exploring uncharted waters. Upon closer inspection, she could confirm.

"That’s the Wolfhound?..." Clover asked herself in disbelief. At the very least, she hoped that the expedition’s crew was skilled enough so to make up for the lack of adequate equipment. Sighing in dismay, she walked back to her group. Leaving aside her concern about the boat, she once again faced towards Summer Breeze.

"Say, Breezy... Correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t seem to like magic very much, do you?" Clover asked, having caught up on the pegasus’ manner of speech that hinted the matter. If that was the case, she could only assume that travelling along with two unicorns – one of them being a researcher of Magical History and Arcane Magic – wasn’t going to be very pleasant for the young mare.

"Say, Breezy... Correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t seem to like magic very much, do you?"
summer smiled 'hehe, i've never been called breezy before, i like that nickname' summer said before she answered clovers question. then the smile vanished and she looked down 'I'm not really a fan of magic indeed' she said, scraping her hoof on the ground 'it's invisible and untouchable, just like the wind. you can only see it's here because you see what it does to other things. but the problem is that i'm used to let the wind do whatever it want it to do. but i can't controle magic and that makes me scared sometimes' summer didn't look at the others while explaining that.

the origin for summers fear for magic laid somewhere else though, in her youth. over the years she tried to forget it but she could wake up screaming from a dream she couldn't remember, the only thing she remembered from those dreams was the feeling of being unable to controle anything, even her own body. she felt trapt and could only watch when somepony else had the controle of her. this also resulted in summers claustrofobie. the only place where summer felt safe was outside, where you could not be driven into a corner and where you allmost always could run away if somepony tried to catch you.

'don't worry, I don't dislike unicorns. well I don't dislike most of them' summer added and her smile came back 'some of my best friends are unicorns, and I would trust them with my life. I know they would never use their magic on me, and that's what I'm scared of' summer didn't want to make the others think she judged them, even before she knew them. clover and the professor both seemed like trust worthy ponys. ofcourse nothing was sure untill they proved it but right now, summer was really positive about them. suddenly summer realised she never said she disliked magic, maybe she hinted it a little bit but not really noticable for most ponys. summer looked at clover 'how did you know I don't like it?' summer asked her.

• Brohoof 1

summer smiled 'hehe, i've never been called breezy before, i like that nickname' summer said before she answered clovers question. then the smile vanished and she looked down 'I'm not really a fan of magic indeed' she said, scraping her hoof on the ground 'it's invisible and untouchable, just like the wind. you can only see it's here because you see what it does to other things. but the problem is that i'm used to let the wind do whatever it want it to do. but i can't controle magic and that makes me scared sometimes' summer didn't look at the others while explaining that.

the origin for summers fear for magic laid somewhere else though, in her youth. over the years she tried to forget it but she could wake up screaming from a dream she couldn't remember, the only thing she remembered from those dreams was the feeling of being unable to controle anything, even her own body. she felt trapt and could only watch when somepony else had the controle of her. this also resulted in summers claustrofobie. the only place where summer felt safe was outside, where you could not be driven into a corner and where you allmost always could run away if somepony tried to catch you.

'don't worry, I don't dislike unicorns. well I don't dislike most of them' summer added and her smile came back 'some of my best friends are unicorns, and I would trust them with my life. I know they would never use their magic on me, and that's what I'm scared of' summer didn't want to make the others think she judged them, even before she knew them. clover and the professor both seemed like trust worthy ponys. ofcourse nothing was sure untill they proved it but right now, summer was really positive about them. suddenly summer realised she never said she disliked magic, maybe she hinted it a little bit but not really noticable for most ponys. summer looked at clover 'how did you know I don't like it?' summer asked her.

Indus turned his eyes to listen to Breeze's explanation to her not liking magic. Her analogy comparing it to the wind was rather poetic, he had to admit. He'll need to remember that for when he takes a new class in the next semester.

"You have naught to fear from me," he assured the young mare, offering a small but sincere smile, "We are colleagues for the moment, and I will treat you both as such."

'how did you know I don't like it?' summer asked her.

"Well, you seemed to become a little uneasy whenever the Professor mentioned his studies on magic while you two were talking." Clover explained. "I'm a poker player. After so many years of gambling, you sort of learn to understand what somepony else is thinking just by the look on their faces and their way of speaking... Don’t worry, though. I promise I won’t read your mind with my magic without your consent." She winked playfully and cracked a smile. "But really, the Professor is right. You have nothing to be scared about. We won’t bite."

As much as Clover tried to comfort Summer Breeze, she had never heard of anypony with a fear of magic before. Taking into consideration the history of Equestria, magic was something that all of its inhabitants breathed like air. However, if there was a deeper meaning for the pegasus’s antipathy towards the arcane, Clover couldn’t know for sure. Thus, she decided to leave it be for the time being. She then moved back closer to the Wolfhound vessel and signaled to the others.

"Shall we climb on board then? Maybe our Captain is just sleeping in there or something." She said, as she began crossing the plank that gave access to the ship.

Edited by Lume WMj

And as the Clover, frst of our 'heroes', set her hoove on the Wolfhound soft mare laugh could be heard.It was soft and short, and after it hoove steps could be heard. "We welcome you to the Wolfhound stranged." mare voice said.This voice was coming from one mare thet was walking right in the Clover direction. As mare was walking next to her was levitating one lantern.

This mare was quait a small unicorn, compered to normal hight of her kind.Her mane danced on the sea breeze, and same as her tale, it was fiery red color.

Indus followed Clover onto the Wolfhound, a rather diminutive ship compared to the others in the port. He supposed it was for convenience's sake, as a crew of four would not be needed to sail a stallion-o-war.

A small unicorn stepped forward, welcoming them to, he assumed was, her ship. A small ship for a small pony, he joked in his head.

"Professor Indus Moonquill," he began, bowing his head to the mare, "I trust you are our contact?"

"We could be,or we could not." Fiery mane mare started with a small grin on her face,she contineued "It all depends on what contact you are looking for." Mare walked close to our two 'heroes' on boat and looked frst at this so called Professor and then at Clover. "There are many diferent contact we could be you know." Mare looked at her lantern as she said 'we',

Clover was a bit startled by the mysterious figure so suddenly appearing out of the Wolfhound. Levitating a lantern by her side, the mare of a short stature for a brief moment didn't look much different than an apparition that haunted the ship. As she began to talk after Indus introduced himself, Clover looked back at both her companions and shrugged in confusion, as the ghost-like pony appeared to be somewhat speaking in riddles.

"'We', huh?" She asked, deeply intrigued, not being able to see anypony else nearby. "So, um... Wha-- Who the hell are you?"

"Who the hell are we..." Mare grin desapired as she repeated,almost the same thing Clover asked her "....we are knowen by meany names,are we not?" As mare asked the question it,she was looking at a lantern as if she asked it for an answer,but moment later she reutrn her look at Clover "But if I am not wrong,at this point in time we are called Jacky." Mare grined at our heroes and her horn started to glow.And at the same second fire burst out of her lantern.And was now,like some sort of a ball,flying around our 'heroes'. "But I was polite for long inaf.And now we would like to know who you are."

summer was a bit ashamed she had already shown her fear the moment she met the others, and she blushed a bit when the others wanted to reassure her.

when the others boarded the ship summer wanted to follow them, but something fell out of her bag and she had to put that back in before she could follow the others, it took her quite a long time because her saddlebags where full of stuff and trying to get it back in was rather difficult. but at last she did it and she was ready to go on board.

when summer came on board her eyes where wide open, a fireball was flying around her new friends and a pony was standing in front of them with a glowing horn, that must be the pony to do that! summer heard the pony saying that she wanted to know who they were, the flying fireball made summer scared and she wanted to run away, but right now she couldn’t leave her friends alone so instead she flew high up in the sky, hopefully out of the range of the fireball, but not to high the other pony wouldn’t hear her ‘hey, you there!’ summer shouted ‘I am summer breeze and I want you to leave my friends alone!’ summer knew she couldn’t do much if the pony refused to let her friends go, so she hoped she sounded intimidating enough to make the pony listen to hear.

As soon as the magical fireball blasted out of the lantern, Clover hastily took several steps back and assumed a defensive stance. Her horn, too, began to glow a dark red color, preparing herself against any preemptive strike the mysterious mare could launch.

"Hey hey hey, woah now, Jack-o! Let's calm down a little bit, shall we? There's no need for this kind of violence." The gambling mare said, attempting to defuse the situation. "My name is Vivid Clover, and those two are my partners. We're here for the treasure of Deverol - we received your letter... If there is any sort of misunderstanding, we'll be on our way. No hard feelings."

As the flames continued to surround the group, Clover grew more and more apprehensive. As much as she disapproved of Jacky's riddle-like, somewhat devious was of speaking, it didn't look like she was playing around. Clover looked up to where Summer Breeze had flown off to protect herself, and then at Professor Indus by her side. More than anything, she wished to avoid any unnecessary quarrel that would compromise the safety of those ponies around. After all, if Jacky got furious, it was most likely Clover's own fault.

Indus simply watched as the orb of fire circled him and his companions. He simply raised an eyebrow; as a student of magic, he was not exactly intimidated.

"Pyromancy," He spoke up, "the practice of creating and manipulating fire through magic. Not often I get to see it practised, so thank you for this nice treat. However..."

His horn glowed a dark navy blue, and from the side of the ship came a stream of sea water, collecting together into a clear rippling orb above his head.

"...should you choose to fight, I will defend myself. And my allies, if need be."