Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Art and Stuff. :)

Sonatica

Hello dear art-lovers,

Art is what actually got me into MLP, because there are so many great artists out there who create stunning pieces. Being in love with drawing myself, it was no surprise I had to get into pony-fanarts as well. :')

And I LOVE drawing ponies. I don't know why, maybe it's because the anatomy is easier than that of a human or maybe it's because you can choose all these great vibrant colors, but it's just so much fun to me!

I thought I might as well share some of my stuff in here, because why not I guess.

These are pictures I drew all the way back when I started watching the show in 2012/13:

Applejack:

applejack_by_strawberryninilein_d5oy0tu.

My (old) ponysona/OC:

sleepy_by_strawberryninilein_d5lotjz.png

Pinkie and Dashie in summertime (I was SOOO proud of this one at the time :D)

fun_in_the_water_by_strawberryninilein_d

These are some of the more recent pictures of mine :) :

Quickly drawn Twi Chibi:

TSeverythingelse.png

A pixelart of Flutters and Dashie trying to wrap up decorations: (I finished part of this on my laptop in a bus. It was... Interesting XP)

flutterdash.png

A portrait of everyone's favorite princess of the night (also my current avatar :P)

lunasmall.png

... aand a commission for someone on dA (maybe you're on here, too? If so.. Hi! :D)

Commishsmall.png

Edited by Sonatica
  • Brohoof 15

Thank you guys soo much! You are too kind :)

I just finished another one. :) (Also a commission by the same person)

Commish2small.png

Amazing artwork! :pinkie:  :sunbutt:  And this one is just jaw-dropping! :love:  :pinkie:

What program and brushes do you use?

Edited by Bluenavyangel
  • Brohoof 2

Aww thank you guys, reading this makes me so happy you don't eben know it :')

What program and brushes do you use?

I usually use Paint Tool Sai, and right now I generally almost exlusively use the brush that is called "brush" (:D) with slightly varied settings, though I'm still not 100% satisfied with said settings ^^; .

• Brohoof 2

Aw, your responses are really warming my heart. I hope I can create more as well, it really is so much fun to draw ponies. :P Or to draw in general. :D

Today I finally got the last of the commissioned pieces done :D

I really had trouble with this one and I personally think I did a better job on the previous one... But I just couldn't get it done better this time :(

But I'm just glad I don't have to draw these portraits anymore :P They are fun but I kinda miss drawing the rest of the body :lol:^_^ I already got an idea for the next picture, I hope I can get it done the way I imagine  :please: 

Commish3small.png

• Brohoof 4

Pleasure is all or at least mostly mine. : )

Relinquish the pleasure, I hereby claim a part of it for myself! And more than that small part you left unattended.

The first Applejack piece lacks a bit in terms of perspective, but even despite that it looks rather good. And it only gets better from there on.

I absolutely ADORE the piece with Pinkie and Dash standing in the water. Your inferred lack of being proud of it in the present is unacceptable, it is amazing! Water is generally a difficult topic and you got it just right there. The body proportions, the expressions... and the hair. Their hair looks so... uh, "non-canon", and yet it almost does. And at the same time it looks very real. Awesome.

The bus-drawn art of de-decoration is pretty, too, despite its simplicity. I live how you played off Fluttershy being a tree in it. The positions and expressions speak volumes, very much confirming that it's a picture worth a thousand words (which is, like, a short one-shot. Sounds about right.) Also, I have to wonder if the interesting part of drawing it was it drawing attention to you. Role-reversal, no?

The portraits are... kind of similar, upholding the quality albeit not necessarily awe-inspiring... except that Luna. You captured her expression just right, somewhere between serene and troubled, like relief mixed with guilt or a bottled-in sadness that's struggling past her peaceful demeanor. There could probably be a lot said about the technical side of it, but I don't really know about it, so... I like her mane. I really like her mane.

Keep it up, there can never be too much fantastic pony art!

• Brohoof 2

@, & @@pyroshark, :

Thank you guys a lot! :yay:  This community is so motivating  :muffins: 

@@Hederik,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me an honest opinion and critisism! :wub:

I absolutelty agree with the portraits being similar. Because it was commissioned to be portraits I kind of forgot to consider maybe still using different poses, expressions and points of view for the different pictures, which I realized kind of late. I will definitely change that whenever I do pictures like these again (which I hope isn't in the near future :lie:)

Your inferred lack of being proud of it in the present is unacceptable

Oh, I think I must've expressed myself wrong here. By what I said I meant that this was the first picture I really took some pride in making and while I now see some mistakes I didn't see back then, I still think it is possibly the best picture I've ever drawn. But I do hope to improve from this. :)

• Brohoof 2

Thank you :)

Yesterday, while I was trying to draw our favorite sunbutt princess, I failed so hard at drawing the pose and perspective that I rage-quitted and decided to make some sketches instead, focusing on colors and lighting to make my pictures more interesting to look at. I might or might not finish the Trixie piece because I just really like her :P (Yes I know the cutiemark is missing :wau: I kinda forgot to add it in and didn't bother in the end because it's a sketch)

all_da_pon3s.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Twilight's legs' position looks kinda funny there. I understand that the aim of the exercise was focused on the light, but... why does it shine so far onto the flying paraphernalia while only illuminating Twi a little?

Fillershy is best flutter.

The Great and Misleading Trixie had me wonder where her front left leg went until I realized that she's portrayed flank-first, looking over her shoulder. Due to the deep shadows and inherent lack of focus on the edges of the picture, I was certain she was looking forwards, her right front leg raised and the left one on the ground. Upon closer inspection, that raised left foreleg looks kind of awkward, as though it was too short or weirdly attached to her torso. Still looking great though.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight's legs' position looks kinda funny there. I understand that the aim of the exercise was focused on the light, but... why does it shine so far onto the flying paraphernalia while only illuminating Twi a little? Fillershy is best flutter. The Great and Misleading Trixie had me wonder where her front left leg went until I realized that she's portrayed flank-first, looking over her shoulder. Due to the deep shadows and inherent lack of focus on the edges of the picture, I was certain she was looking forwards, her right front leg raised and the left one on the ground. Upon closer inspection, that raised left foreleg looks kind of awkward, as though it was too short or weirdly attached to her torso. Still looking great though.

Thank you a lot :)

I absolutely see your points. The proportions are definitely not correct in these (and neither is the lighting really) and that is something I still struggle with, especially when it comes to non-general poses and (ESPECIALLY!) different points of view and interaction with objects in any way. I am working on that :)

On another note, I spend the last two days drawing a gift for one of my absolute best friends of her lovely pony OC called 'Final Sunshine'. It's not as clean as I would like it to be, but I absolutely lost motivation in the end... :please::lie:

Final_Sunshinebrighter.png

• Brohoof 3