Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Most-Disturbing Sound Effects In Games

Castle Bleck

The banshee scream in ME3. God freakin' damn it.

Also, the giant spider thingy's in Metro Last Light. I just hate all the SCRATCHING and CRAWLING. ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

;_;

• Brohoof 2

THE HAPPY MASK SALESMAN LAUGH

This times 1000.

I would like to add two, both from Five Nights At Freddy's.

The backwards talking animatronic voicein later nights "the joy of creation."

The animatronic scream...especially when played in its entirety.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry to post again so soon, buuuuut

Redeads. In LOZ Ocarina of Time.  The moaning and the high pitched scream.

They gave me a lot of nightmares Christmas 1998.

• Brohoof 2

The really nasty sound the Clickers make in The Last Of Us (a constant clicking noise, which is actually echolocation as they are blind)

Just about every sound Endermen make in Minecraft, but especially the horrible noise they make when you accidentally look at one and it becomes aggressive.

The absolutely chilling screaming of the Big Sisters in Bioshock 2.

The near constant screams of agony from tortured souls in Dante's Inferno.

And of course, the old classic, the Sonic the Hedgehog drowning music. A bit more obscure, but arguably even scarier, is the music that plays when time is about to run out in the Game Boy version of Donkey Kong.

• Brohoof 2

I'd say many of the sounds from Doom 3.

This.

But also...

The spider death screech in World of Warcraft. (Those who play it know what I'm talking about) Not very disturbing to me, but to some people it would be.

The banshee screams in Fable / Fable: The Lost Chapters (The banshees in Hook Coast before and after you get the book to open the gate).

The skittering sounds of the Swarm in Halo: Combat Evolved. (This part of the game used to scare the sh*t outta me. Not anymore though ^-^ )

If I think of more I'll post them.

I remember a video from a scene from Uncharted 2. During the game you get trapped and the ceiling(With deadly thick needles) slowly comes down. Easy to get out of their, but if you stay and it's too late the screen goes black and you hear only the crushing from you and the other character. urghh.

Sorry to post again so soon, buuuuut

Redeads. In LOZ Ocarina of Time.  The moaning and the high pitched scream.

They gave me a lot of nightmares Christmas 1998.

Absolute truth, very creepy. Did you know that if you kill a redead, all the others will suddenly ignore you, instead choosing to slowly walk towards the corpse of their fallen comrade? Too spooky for me.

• Brohoof 1

Absolute truth, very creepy. Did you know that if you kill a redead, all the others will suddenly ignore you, instead choosing to slowly walk towards the corpse of their fallen comrade? Too spooky for me.

Yeah, like they're either showing reverence, or...eating the corpse...

I don't know why, but the creepiness in those 64 Zeldas got to me. I couldn't even get past Majora's Mask once I learned Elegy of Emptiness and made the creepy statues - that was the end for me and I never came back to it.

And that was a decade before the Ben Drowned creepypasta brought back memories.

One more thing:

Note that the Link statue ("Ben") seems unlike the Link in the game, different face, different shading, different look - more like a true life human rendering. And if the other statues are of souls that are dead...then the human that is dead.

Is you.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, like they're either showing reference, or...eating the corpse...

I don't know why, but the creepiness in those 64 Zeldas got to me. I couldn't even get past Majora's Mask once I learned Elegy of Emptiness and made the creepy statues - that was the end for me and I never came back to it.

And that was a decade before the Ben Drowned creepypasta brought back memories. 

One more thing:

Note that the Link statue ("Ben") seems unlike the Link in the game, different face, different shading, different look - more like a true life human rendering. And if the other statues are of souls that are dead...then the human that is dead.  

Is you.

I think they're probably eating the corpse, as it disappears once they get close.

• Brohoof 1

Oh. There was that one time in SCP - Containment Breach, where you have to (I think) lure SCP-106 (there he is again) with a live victim. You have to break someone's femur to lure him with the sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMpRVY1imzM

This really scared the shit out of me.

Secondly, there was a guy in Rayman 2: The Great Escape, who had this really creepy sound when he spoke.

https://youtu.be/ZiOQUbwz_Ug?t=51s

It doesn't help that he brings you to "The Cave of Bad Dreams" where everything is skulls and bones, and creepy as hell.

I always found the walking sound of the Arachnotrons from Doom 2 quite scary. They sound like the discordant mechanical tones of your impending and inevitable annihilation.

Then there's the creepy breathing sound of the Regenerators from Resident Evil 4. It's so stuttery and sad, it creeps me every time,

The screaming of the headcrab zombies. Specially reversed. Jesus...

Giygas' theme. Quite a classic, Flowey's laugh, and quite a good deal of the soundtrack of Silent Hill 2. There's also the Deviljho roar, which sounds more like a bomb exploding than a roar. Gee... And Rootmars' laugh in Metal SLug 3 creeps me a bit.

The sound of bones snapping, necks being snapped, and throats being slit disturb me greatly and as for sounds that scare me really any unexplainable sound like enemies I can hear but can't see but only in horror and multiplayer games...

• 4 weeks later...

Flowey's laugh in Undertale.

Undertale spoilers below:

Especially when Omega Flowey shows up!

Also unsure if this counts, but also the little bit of music just as Omega Flowey is showing up and the screen is flashing red.