Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with DwhitetheGamer

Illiad Easle

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Midnight could feel the energy permeating the area as he approached, he was hesitant to touch them, but his caring nature required him to try. As soon as he touched Gari the trance seemed to be broken, each of the other children began to stir as he held the unicorn "That was weird, for a moment it was like I was seeing the world through the eyes of another. " She looked directly at Midnight. "You look so much older than you did, I remember... things I never did, yet... it feels so familiar." Another unicorn rose from the ground. "I remember it too, experiments I remember reading about seen though my own eyes. I think we connected to the past generations!" Midnight carefully set the first unicorn down. "​That is a definite possibility, I always felt that you were connected to the original twelve in more than just appearance and mannerism. It is likely you will suffer from memory disorganization for the next few days if that is indeed the case." Midnight then went around helping the other get up.

At this distance Copper could see the children clearly. They were all about his age. (Here are pictures of the Mares and Stallions, aged down.)

@@Illiad Easle

(Thanks for the pictures.)

Copper was hesitant to approach them with the massive energy displayed there, but as soon as each of them got up, one by one, he slowly smiled, knowing the Children would eventually be fine.

He walked up towards the Children as they would slowly get up.  "Hello.  I hope you guys'll be okay.  I'm Copper Strikes.  It's a pleasure to meet you all."

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(This way I don't have to describe them. Cookie Pie is a mix of Magpie and Gari btw.)

The children that had gotten a better hold of themselves looked at Copper with a bit of curiosity. The unicorn that Midnight helped first approached with a warm smile. "It's good to meet you Copper, you must be the one Midnight was excited about. I'm Gari, the others are Spirit, Magpie, Night Light, Springsign, Moondancer, Candlelight, Nightshade, Wind Whisper, Tingle, Trotanumdo, and Fly-By-Night." Each of the children waved as their names were called so Copper could distinguish them easier.

@@Illiad Easle

Copper smiled and waved a hoof at each of the Children as Gari introduced them to him.  He was happy he could meet the children, and he couldn't wait to tell them some big news.

"Indeed I am.  So, what was that all about?  If I heard right from Midnight, all of you managed to do something that gave you memories of the past and saw him at a younger age.  What were you trying to accomplish?"

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Candlelight spoke up, "Well, at this point we were trying to get a successful magic pool going, which is essential before the power can be put to any sort of focus. Now that we've figured out how to pool the magic we just need to figure out how to stabilize and focus it. We'll be doing a bunch of research and experimentation before we try another circle again. No doubt the past memories will be a great help once we can sort them all out. We should probably take a few days to recover while we adjust." 

@@Illiad Easle

Copper nodded at Candlelight.  Taking a few days off after what just happened would be a good idea for him as well.

"That's good to know.  Since we're all here, though, I should introduce myself fully.  You can call me either Copper or Sonic, I'm fine with both.  The reason I'm call Sonic is because of my talent, called the Spin Dash." He shows his cutie mark for all the children to see.  "It shows how fast I want to be there for anypony in need, which is my destiny.  I'm as fast, if not faster than a racing Pegasus, according to my friends back at Ponyville.  You may believe it or not, but I am considered the fastest Earth Pony in Equestria, and if you want to know who said it, it was Princess Luna.  Point in fact, me and Midnight are going to have a race during our exchange to determine just that, and Luna wants all of Equestria to witness it.  I'm sure she'd talk to her sister about it today."

"That is exactly why I am here, Copper Strikes."

Copper was caught off guard and turned quickly towards his left.  There she was, Princess Luna, ready to meet her Children.

@@DwhitetheGamer,

The children all stared at Luna with varying degrees of confusion. They did not know her, yet they did once. Many rubbed their heads and looked as if they had developed headaches as they tried to consolidate the memories they had. "Hello again Luna, you're back awfully soon. Any news from the last time you were here?" It wasn't long before all the children had headaches of some degree, Gari worst of all as she had been the closest to Luna before. The ones whose headaches weren't as bad were looking over her curiously.

@@Illiad Easle

(I was hoping they would be so happy in meeting Luna.)

Both Copper and Luna had looks of concern as they looked at the Children, who looked as if they were having headaches trying to remember who she was.  Copper looked at Midnight.

"Are they going to be okay?"

"I hope so.  Anyways, yes, my sister has agreed to endorse the race between you and Copper, Midnight.

She turned to the Children, not daring moving back a little as she would make the headaches worse moving towards them.  She needed to do something fast, so she decided to introduce herself.

"Children, do not fret trying to remember me.  I am Luna, Princess of the Night.  I am very proud of thy accomplishments and wish thee nothing but the best in thy future."

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Luna's words seemed to ease their pain slightly, but not by much. "They just managed to connect to their previous selves, headaches are to be expected for the next few days as they adjust to their new memories. It's likely seeing anything from their past selves will cause similar effects until they recover, though I'm surprised them seeing me did not have the same effect." Midnight turned back to the children, "​It would likely be best if you all rested now, being unconscious should help your minds to reorganize. Perhaps your new pool of experience will help you discover what you need to succeed." The children nodded and began to walk inside through the grand hall, each of them said something similar to 'It's good to see you again' to Luna as they passed. Midnight turned to Luna, "Celestia wants to endorse the race now does she? What would that entail?"

@@Illiad Easle

Luna smiled warmly to the Children as they left to the grand hall.  She then turned to Midnight.

"She wants to hold the race in Canterlot in a few days so that all of Equestria can see it.  She also agreed to make two separate tracks for both of you to showcase your abilities."

Copper went wide-eyed.  "Two races?  One where I can use my Spin Dash?  That's great!  I'll thank her later."

Luna turned to Copper.  "On top of that, she wants to have the Children be the announcers of the winner."

To say that Copper was excited was an understatement.  He was bouncing up and down in joy.  He suddenly stopped as soon as he realized something.

"Wait.  What if Midnight wanted the race to be held here in the Archback Mountains?"

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

"Having the race in Equestria does present a bit of a challenge, especially as Canterlot doesn't have a long straight area to put a track long enough to truly measure speed. In addition, I can only use my lightning sprint in conjunction with Sir, and you know Sir and Celestia are not on the best turns after Discord's return. If we had the race here we already have long flat areas, the children, and Sir all together. It would make much more sense to bring Celestia and reporters here for the race." 

@@Illiad Easle

"That is understandable.  I had brought that up with my sister, but she insisted on the race being in Canterlot.  But she would understand if the race needed to be held here.  It would be nice for Copper to showcase his Spin Dash to the Children so that they can understand what Midnight would be up against.  That reminds me."  She turned to Copper.  "Copper, is it okay that Midnight and Sir are in conjunction for the Lightning Sprint?"

Copper nodded at Luna, smiling.  "Fine by me.  I want a fair race and if I can use my ability, so can my competitors."

"Well then that is settled.  The race shall be held here in the Archback Mountains."

Copper swung around to see Princess Celestia standing right behind her.

"Princess Celestia?  How long have you been here?"

"After the Children left, my little pony.  Hello, Midnight, it has been a while."

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Midnight's expression was nonplussed at Celestia's appearance. He sighed, drawing it out much longer than necessary.

"That's right, I haven't seen you since..." He pretended to look contemplative, "Oh, since you turned Sir to stone." Needless to say, Midnight did not look happy to see Celestia at this moment. "You have some nerve showing up unannounced, last I checked Sir still hasn't forgiven you for leaving him in your abandoned castle, Alone, for a few centuries during that time. You best have a phenomenal apology ready once Sir stops pretending to have not noticed your presence."

@@Illiad Easle

Copper was wide-eyed with shock.  He turned to Celestia, a bit angry in his part.  "Why?  Why did you do it?"

Celestia held her head down in shame and anger on herself.  "I did not know what I was thinking, okay?  I was a total fool back then.  If only I was not heartbroken like I was when I banished my own sister."

Now Copper shook his head.  "That's no excuse, even for you, your highness."  He turned to Midnight.  "I want you to go get Sir so she can apologize to him.  

Celesia turned to Copper.  "Copper?  This is a first-"

"I'm sorry, Celestia, but it's best if I stopped you from talking.  I don't know how your favorite student and her friends would react if they found out you made somepony mad."

Celestia was wide-eyed when she realized Copper was right.  She didn't want to lose the Elements of Harmony because of a mistake she made.  She dropped her head again.

"I guess it is time I apologized to him.  Go ahead Midnight, find him, please."

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Midnight looked at Copper with a bit of surprise, "You shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on your rulers Copper, we were fighting before she turned Sir to stone, we were trying to stop Luna's decent, though I see now how our efforts contributed to it. And before that we were terrorizing her ponies to free the enslaved zebras, in the eyes of her people it was the right decision and they applauded her for it." His expression went a bit more stern. "And threatening your leaders is a good way to end up missing, you're lucky it's Celestia you're talking to and not say the griffon king or Sir." He then turned to Celestia again. "You know how Sir works, you go to him or he comes to you when he wants, he will not be summoned. But you're in luck because he's coming this way now."

As if on cue the grand hall doors swung open and out strode a creature Copper had never seen before. The bipedal figure looked like an oddly proportioned minotaur, and was clad head to hoof in black armor. A long red cape billowed behind him, connected to a red sash that ran around his neck and under his right arm. He wore a necklace of five golden triangles, each one almost as big as one of Midnight's eyes. A long sword hung from his side, and it seemed to buzz with electrical energy. But the most distinctive feature was his face, firstly the mask that covered it was flat, betraying no muzzle if Sir had one, and secondly, the eyes and breathing holes all glowed with a red/orange light. "So, you have returned. To what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?" His voice was deep and commanded power.

@@Illiad Easle

Celestia, Luna, and Copper turned to see the Black Knight coming, as threatening as ever.  Copper gulped in fear, backing up a bit, Luna just stood there, not moving at all, and Celestia just closed her eyes and dropped her head in shame.

"You do not owe anything, Black Knight.  It is I who owe you, an apology to be exact.  I know now you were trying to save my sister, and I was deeply in the wrong for imprisoning you in stone.  I acted like a fool that day, thinking that you were trying to help her take over Equestria.  I will never forgive myself for doing so, which is why I came here to make amends with you, Black Knight.  Will you forgive me?"

She had a sort of pleading look on her face, something neither Copper, Luna, nor Midnight saw in the side she's showing right now.  But she wanted him to forgive her nonetheless.  

@@DwhitetheGamer,

The courtyard seemed a bit darker, a bit colder.

"For a thousand years I was trapped in stone. After you banished Luna, I knew you wouldn't be able to free me, I felt you lose your connection to the elements and you told me so yourself. I forgave you then."

"However, one day a century or two later, you were suddenly gone, and everyone else with you, I felt as the other statues were removed, even Discord went with you, but I remained. For centuries I waited in vain for your return, for anything to break my solitude. But Nobody Came. It was so cold and dark in that castle, I wanted to die if only so I could be free. I wondered what I had done to deserve it, if perhaps the great evil had followed to doom me to a worse fate than death.

"Then Luna returned, and with her the new elements of harmony. I felt their power as they healed Luna, then I felt you too, at last the keys to my freedom were within sight, so close I could almost see it."

"Then you left. My freedom was at hand and you denied me it. I never knew how much one could hate another until that moment. In the end it was Discord who set me free, how fitting that your worst enemy was the one to set me free. He gave me the condition that I keep you out of the way of his plans, so fitting to my goals. I trapped you in your room after you sent the elements away, you didn't know it was me. But you got to feel as helpless as I was if only for a moment, your kingdom in danger and you unable to help."

"No Celestia, I will not forgive you. Not until you have suffered as you made me suffer. It is fitting in a way this encounter, I hold the keys to your relief, if I were to forgive you then you could forgive yourself, but so long as I do not, you will find your guilt as inescapable as my stone prison."

The Black Knight turned and began walking away. "I will tolerate your presence here, perhaps I will forgive you in a thousand years time, the same length to the day that I was imprisoned by you." He reached the great hall doors and passed through them without another word.

@@Illiad Easle

Celestia was shocked at the words Black Knight gave to her.  She was speechless, and when Black Knight left, she was crying.  She had lost a dear friend, and now she couldn't do anything about it.

But Luna had other plans.  She got so angry at the words she rushed to the grand hall to stop him.  

"Luna, wait!" Copper yelled.  But that didn't stop her.  She reached the grand hall.

"HALT!" she shouted in her royal Canterlot voice.  "THOU SHALT NOT MOVE ANOTHER INCH!"

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

The first thing anyone would notice is that it was instantly silent. The area quickly grew cold enough that even Midnight was shivering slightly. He looked worried and was backing away in a way that would put him between Sir and Copper.

The Black Knight halted his movements, he was past the threshold of the door, but not quite far enough that the doors could close without him moving. A black, smoke like substance emerged from the top of his helmet, like the plume of a royal guard, it moved as the manes of the princesses did, billowing in an unseen wind. When he turned to face Luna his sword was in his hand, despite his mask's inability to show facial expressions, the glow seemed angry. When he spoke his voice was deeper, "No one tells me what to do in My castle, in My domain. So unless you want to fight me again I suggest you back off and leave me alone ere we see how skilled we are after our respective absences."

@@Illiad Easle

(I was literally crying as I was typing this.  I was in the mood.)

"Thou doth not understand what my sister has been through, Midnight.  She hath been singing lullabies to me since my banishment.  Her heart hath been through enough pain, and I do not want-

"THAT'S ENOUGH, LUNA!"

It was Celestia.  It was obvious Black Knight wasn't going to change his mind, and she knew it.  She was shedding tears through her words.

"Let him go.  He shall not change his mind about this.  As for the race, I'm afraid it shall have to be cancelled."

"WHAT?!  NO!"

Copper was beyond shocked.  He wanted to race so badly, and Celestia stopping it was only making things worse.

"I'm sorry, Copper.  But this will not work out between us."

Copper was now crying streams out.  He galloped at full speed out of the courtyard.  He wanted to get as far away from the castle as possible with everything happening.

"Copper, stop!"  Luna shouted.  But it was too late, as Copper was out of earshot.

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(I love when an RP just seems more real, I'm glad when I can make a moment just that more intense. Get ready, the Black Knight isn't finished yet.)

"All actions have consequences, and they must be resolved in the end. You have the curse of seeing the long term effects of your mistakes, as well as the benefit of the power to make them right in the end. It's good that you're taking the steps to fix your mistakes with your sister, it shows that you are redeemable, that one day I will be able to forgive your actions against me. But this community is a testament to your mistakes, the Children, the Zebra, the Thestrals, and me. I am disappointed because I know you can do better. I know you can be forgiven of those you have wronged, even though it will take you some time to earn it." He turned again to leave, the smoke disappearing and the sword returning to his belt, it felt warmer and brighter in the courtyard again. "I'll be watching, good luck."

Once Midnight saw that the situation was mostly diffused he ran after Copper, he wasn't hard to track nor was a full sprint possible within the castle. He was sure to catch up eventually, and when he did, he would wait for him to calm down, like he did for many of the Children in the past.

@@Illiad Easle

(It'll take just as long for Black Knight to apologize to Copper if so.)

"No, Black Knight.  I have already suffered the long-term consequences.  I was heart-broken for those thousand years of being without my sister, and I regretted my mistake, every single second of it.  I would do anything to bring her back, even if it meant waiting for the stars to align, weeping and singing a lullaby to her throughout the entire time.  I have learned my mistake, and I do not want to repeat it to you, Black Knight."

"Please, give her another chance, Black Knight."

Copper kept galloping, ignoring the fact that Midnight was after him.  Once he was out of the castle, he charged up his Spin Dash, ready to leave and never return.

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(I don't completely understand your statement)

The Black Knight sighed, but did not look back. "You don't get to choose the consequences of your actions Celestia. You suffered for Luna, I know that much from my time before you abandoned me. Have you suffered for the slaves you allowed to be persecuted? Did you suffer for the nation you embargo because they dared to leave your kingdom? Did you suffer for the thestrals, who to this day are persecuted by those who have been raised to fear them because they sided with Luna?" He paused, "Did you suffer for me?" He continued into the hall, his words coming through as the doors closed. "I'm giving you a chance to redeem yourself, make right with those you have wronged, and I will forgive you. You can't hide your mistakes forever.

(This is certainly an interesting path that I did not expect this story to take. So much drama and high tensions, I love it.)

As Midnight chased Copper through the castle they passed near the armory, which gave him an idea. a few seconds later he was back on the chase with a tube strapped to his side. He found Copper ready to launch just outside the castle doors, if Copper could not navigate the settlement well enough he would crash into the structures, ponies, or fall right down the jagged mountain side. Midnight leaped with all the strength he could muster in an attempt to stop Copper from charging blindly down the mountain.

@@Illiad Easle

(If Black Knight does forgive Celestia, it'll take quite a bit for Copper to forgive him)

Celestia did not consider the disaster that he had described.  So she stopped the doors from closing with her magic, nodding to Black Knight.

"Of course.  I have forgotten about all of that.  I shall make right to those who I have wronged, starting right now."

She followed Black Knight out of the courtyard, with Luna following close by.

Meanwhile, Copper was nearing his full charge when he was tackled by Midnight.  The small Earth Pony got up quickly to see who it was, and when he saw Midnight, he erupted with rage.

"Do you not see how heartbroken I am?!" he shouted.  "Thanks to Sir and Celestia, we're not going to race each other!  Do you not realize how excited I was with the race?!"

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

The Black Knight sighed as the princesses followed him into the grand hall. They couldn't seem to get the hint that he wanted some time alone, which is why he was so pleasantly surprised to see a small group of delegates had formed near the throne. they gave a polite bow to the princesses before returning their attention to The Black Knight as he sat on the throne. "It would appear as if Equestria has finally submitted a delegate for the time being. You all may now address your grievances to her instead of at me for all the diplomats she turned away." He looked over at the princesses, "I will ensure that this does not get out of control," he turned back to the delegates, "You are all to behave yourselves." He looked back over at the princesses, "Would you like to say something before we begin?"

Midnight got off of Copper, he had intended to land in front of him, but this worked too. "I understand how upset you are, I too am a bit disappointed, but throwing yourself blindly down the mountain is not a good way to deal with it. We can still race even if it isn't official, we'll know who the fastest one is, and that's all that matters."