Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think the world will look like in 2070

Lithophila

I see two possibilities.

Technology has advanced too much and people can't take care themselves because technology does everything.

or

Everything is going terrible and humankind is either destroyed, or at least population and advancement have decreased enormously.

Edited by The Cerberus

I'd give myself a pat on the back if I make it to 2040.

One of the things I would ask is how today's economic orthodoxy would look in the eyes of the generations of 2070. Hopefully as archaic as any cellphone that isn't a "smartphone" by today's standards. We are seeing new means of production that can produce additional units at ever-decreasing costs (for energy, soon enough we'll have to measure the upfront cost of solar PV in $/kilowatt instead of $/watt) with said means of production themselves turning up at decreasing costs. What we could see is that the means of production will be more dispersed throughout the population instead of being centralized and controlled by the holders of large capital like it has been and still is.

Something else. It is highly likely that there will be more leisure time as labor becomes increasingly automated and done by robots and computers. It is not clear how an economy will function with a labor market a tiny fraction of today's but surely civilization would have figured something out to solve that problem by that time (given civilization and our species survive).

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 2

@, @@chirox the pony, @@Gestum, @, @@Side Bird@@Twiggy,    

Jesus Christ, lighten up the lot of you! We're bronies, we're supposed to be the optimistic side of the internet!

Me, I'm not qualified or educated enough to make even a solid prediction, but I can tell you with admantium clad certainty what 2070 won't be, extinction nor dystopia! People have predicted the end of the world, since the beginning of the world. And you know what? I'm sick of it, I truly am. Every generation thinks there's is somehow the last, yet every generation has proven wrong and the world's kept spinning. 

At least a portion of you are Star Trek fans as well, do you think Leonard Nimoy would look back on his own life and how things changed just in his own lifetime and think that we were on our way to something terrible or just annihilation? Where is that hope and optimism that our children will inherent something better than we have that my parents felt for me?

If I were to hazard a shot in the dark, I would say 2070 won't be that much different than right now. Maybe some watershed technology like the iphone or something at most. Not Star Trek or Mass Effect but nor Bladerunner or Mad Max, just another year in the saga of human history with it's own peaks and troughs for society and the individual. 

Bronies everywhere.

Cmon guys, lets make the world a better place. :D

Yeah, exactly! I second the motion.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 5

@, @@chirox the pony, @@Gestum, @, @@Side Bird@@Twiggy,    

Jesus Christ, lighten up the lot of you! We're bronies, we're supposed to be the optimistic side of the internet!

Me, I'm not qualified or educated enough to make even a solid prediction, but I can tell you with admantium clad certainty what 2070 won't be, extinction nor dystopia! People have predicted the end of the world, since the beginning of the world. And you know what? I'm sick of it, I truly am. Every generation thinks there's is somehow the last, yet every generation has proven wrong and the world's kept spinning. 

At least a portion of you are Star Trek fans as well, do you think Leonard Nimoy would look back on his own life and how things changed just in his own lifetime and think that we were on our way to something terrible or just annihilation? Where is that hope and optimism that our children will inherent something better than we have that my parents felt for me?

If I were to hazard a shot in the dark, I would say 2070 won't be that much different than right now. Maybe some watershed technology like the iphone or something at most. Not Star Trek or Mass Effect but nor Bladerunner or Mad Max, just another year in the saga of human history with it's own peaks and troughs for society and the individual. 

The only problem is, we are very close to an atomic war (i don't make poilcies) and our world will destroyed by that, if not, we will destroy the wildlife and we will make this planet uninhabitable. If we keep doing this, our planet will permanently destroyed...

@, @@chirox the pony, @@Gestum, @, @@Side Bird, @@Twiggy,

Me, I'm not qualified or educated enough to make even a solid prediction, but I can tell you with admantium clad certainty what 2070 won't be, extinction nor dystopia! People have predicted the end of the world, since the beginning of the world. And you know what? I'm sick of it, I truly am. Every generation thinks there's is somehow the last, yet every generation has proven wrong and the world's kept spinning.

At least a portion of you are Star Trek fans as well, do you think Leonard Nimoy would look back on his own life and how things changed just in his own lifetime and think that we were on our way to something terrible or just annihilation? Where is that hope and optimism that our children will inherent something better than we have that my parents felt for me?

If I were to hazard a shot in the dark, I would say 2070 won't be that much different than right now. Maybe some watershed technology like the iphone or something at most. Not Star Trek or Mass Effect but nor Bladerunner or Mad Max, just another year in the saga of human history with it's own peaks and troughs for society and the individual.

Well, I'm not an optimist -- never claimed that I was. I'm a realist. ;) If we are going by the current state and direction of the world as it is now, I think a dystopian future is a reasonable prediction. Disagreeable? Perhaps to some, but it's not illogical. That's not to say that it won't get better, because eventually it will. But it's going to get a lot worse before that happens. Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1

I was actually optimistic. That image is the effect of a bomb with just 21 kt. Nowadays there's bombs with 400 kt. So when the bombs drop it will look a lot worse.

The only problem is, we are very close to an atomic war (i don't make poilcies) and our world will destroyed by that, if not, we will destroy the wildlife and we will make this planet uninhabitable. If we keep doing this, our planet will permanently destroyed...

Ever heard of Colonel Stanislav Petrov?

I was actually optimistic. That image is the effect of a bomb with just 21 kt. Nowadays there's bombs with 400 kt. So when the bombs drop it will look a lot worse.

IF they drop, and you can go on believing they will till you lie on your death bed. Me, I'll pass on smiling knowing my children will live long and fruitful lives.

Well, I'm not an optimist -- never claimed that I was. I'm a realist. ;) If we are going by the current state and direction of the world as it is now, I think a dystopian future is a reasonable prediction. Disagreeable? Perhaps to some, but it's not illogical. That's not to say that it won't get better, because eventually it will. But it's going to get a lot worse before that happens.

Funny how the "realist" comes up with a prediction outright compared to an Orwell novel and the optimist just says it will be like it always has.

Ever heard of Colonel Stanislav Petrov

The guy who supposedly stopped ww3? I don't see what has to do with anything.

IF they drop, and you can go on believing they will till you lie on your death bed. Me, I'll pass on smiling knowing my children will live long and fruitful lives.

I'll pass on knowing that my children will live their lives in a world ofoverpopulation and resources. And that's if the bombs don't drop. Edited by Gestum

Ever heard of Colonel Stanislav Petrov?

Funny how the "realist" comes up with a prediction outright compared to an Orwell novel and the optimist just says it will be like it always has.

It is, isn't it? I guess that is just how the cookie crumbles. But seriously, for the sake of the world and the people in it, I hope that I'm wrong. Edited by Jaxsie

The guy who supposedly stopped ww3? I don't see what has to do with anything.

Well if we came that close to annihilation at the very height of the Cold War, the time I would consider nuclear war a possibility, and actually avoided it all together I don't think it's even remotely probable that it will happen in our lifetime or any time shortly after that.

• Brohoof 1

Well if we came that close to annihilation at the very height of the Cold War, the time I would consider nuclear war a possibility, and actually avoided it all together I don't think it's even remotely probable that it will happen in our lifetime or any time shortly after that.

Why not? Most of the words major countries have nuclear weapons, all it takes is someone crazy enough (Putin or Kim Jong Un, for example).

It is, isn't it? I guess that is just how the cookie crumbles. For the sake of the world and the people in it, I hope that I'm wrong.

My point is, who's the one being more realistic here? The one who compares their prediction to a fictional dystopia or the one who's not making wild assumptions based on there preferred view of what humanity "deserves" (either due to malevolence or stupidity) once he's no longer around to actually suffer those consequences himself?

I have the utmost certainty that our world will not end by 2070 and may God strike me down if I'm wrong.

Well if we came that close to annihilation at the very height of the Cold War, the time I would consider nuclear war a possibility, and actually avoided it all together I don't think it's even remotely probable that it will happen in our lifetime or any time shortly after that.

So because someone realised that a compute program wasn't working correctly back in 1983, there won't be a nuclear war in our lifetime? I'm not following the logic here.
  • Brohoof 1

So because someone realised that a compute program wasn't working correctly back in 1983, there won't be a nuclear war in our lifetime? I'm not following the logic here.

I need to agree with Gestum

Why not? Most of the words major countries have nuclear weapons, all it takes is someone crazy enough (Putin or Kim Jong Un, for example).

Because even if they are that crazy, the rest of the world isn't all it takes is one Colonel Petrov to either stop the launch or warn the target nation. People simply aren't going to retaliate if that did happen (which it won't) when they know it will lead to the end of everything.

I'm at a loss to explain it further. We came that close to nuclear war, and humanity as represented by Petrov investigated because he didn't want it. When we're at the line, humanity wants to live.

It's an accident. But if you watch the news, you will see the signs of the nuclear war.

I see no "signs" I see events of insurrection and mass murder but not nuclear war.

@@Yamet@, @@Gestum,

So this is it then? I'm the one on this thread that thinks humanity is not rotten to the core, stupid, in anyway deserves mass extinction, and will not suffer that fate?

• Brohoof 1

I see no "signs" I see events of insurrection and mass murder but not nuclear war.

And from the murdering, it comes the "revegnes" ,like from Russia and France's "revegne" to the ISIS. And from that, the Third World War begins...

I'm at a loss to explain it further. We came that close to nuclear war, and humanity as represented by Petrov investigated because he didn't want it. When we're at the line, humanity wants to live

Petrov didn't investigate because he didn't want a nuclear war, he did it because he didn't believe that USA had fired nuclear weapons at the Soviet Union. There's a slight difference between those two.

And from the murdering, it comes the "revegnes" ,like from Russia and France's "revegne" to the ISIS. And from that, the Third World War begins...

That is just ridiculous. Why would either France or Russia or anyone use nuclear weapons to kill a decentralized threat? That's what the Special Forces were created for, search and destroy. What you suggest is like running over the neighbor's dog because they peed in your yard.

Petrov didn't investigate because he didn't want a nuclear war, he did it because he didn't believe that USA had fired nuclear weapons at the Soviet Union. There's a slight difference between those two.

There is?

"They wouldn't destroy us because it would mean the end of everything."

"I don't want the end of everything."

The common man saved the world because he didn't assume others, the country he was at war with even, would willfully destroy the world. We are not at the height of the Cold War, there is no incentive for countries to use nuclear weapons on each other.

• Brohoof 3

My point is, who's the one being more realistic here? The one who compares their prediction to a fictional dystopia or the one who's not making wild assumptions based on there preferred view of what humanity "deserves" (either due to malevolence or stupidity) once he's no longer around to actually suffer those consequences himself?

I have the utmost certainty that our world will not end by 2070 and may God strike me down if I'm wrong.

You shouldn't say things like that -- because you're not all knowing.

I never said the world would come to an end; I believe that this earth is without end. Nor am I a sadist that has preferred view on what humanity deserves. I'm afraid you're the one that is making wild assumptions here. As I said earlier, I hope I am wrong. I'm simply looking at the trends and where those trends lead. Could it change directions? Of course. Do I see any signs in a change of course? Unfortunately, no.