Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think the world will look like in 2070

Lithophila

The planet will recover, it's us that are in jeopardy and even then, if we could build bunkers that can survive nukes and recover from natural disasters that have already claimed thousands of lives and destroyed homes, we can survive climate change through the correct use of engineering. (Sea walls, buoyed buildings, what have you.) See above for the oil business, but even if it did start to run dry, I imagine that would only make people invest more in alternative energies. Even if we don't have new sustainable power, humanity got along fine without it for thousands of years. So we may experience some regression but I hardly equate a return to coal trains and no wifi the end of humanity as a species and civilization.

The planet will recover? Do you have any scientific base for that? 

I'm expecting the events of Soylent Green to take place, just with more advanced technology and medicine.

Either that, or people will become so obsessed with technology that they'll find ways to live virtual reality lives or upload their consciousness to machines.

Edited by LeonShi500

The planet will recover? Do you have any scientific base for that? 

Yeah, the KT extinction. That reduced the Earth to near its primordial state but the sky's cleared and the Earth found its way back to a life sustaining equilibrium. Rising tides, higher climate temperature, those are a walk in the park compared to what the Earth has been put through long before we got here.

All that being said, here I am offering up ways by which humanity can survive, do you have any actual solutions to these problems?

• Brohoof 1

By making a new ecosystem, yes. But I don't really think that we are able to do that.

I think we can. I'm not an engineer or anything so I don't have the knowledge to propose a realistic solution but at least I'm trying to think of one.

Yeah, the KT extinction. That reduced the Earth to near its primordial state but the sky's cleared and the Earth found its way back to a life sustaining equilibrium. Rising tides, higher climate temperature, those are a walk in the park compared to what the Earth has been put through long before we got here.

All that being said, here I am offering up ways by which humanity can survive, do you have any actual solutions to these problems?

A meteor? Yeah that's quite different. I mean sure the Earth recovered... over millions of years and nearly everything was dead. And the meteor was a chance event that nothing could have predicted or stopped. And do I look like a scientist to you? And what's your solution to these problems anyway?

How? Are we going to wave our magic wands or are we going to wish upon a star?

All right, that seemed very much like an insult to me. I just said:

I'm not an engineer or anything so I don't have the knowledge to propose a realistic solution but at least I'm trying to think of one.

I'm a writer, and a science fiction one at that, any solution I propose would not be rooted in education when it comes to infrastructure or mega-scale engineering. But given what humanity has already built in its history such as Mt. Rushmore, the Roman Coliseum, the Pyramids, etc. and with the benefit of modern technology, again it's not at all improbable that human civilization could survive massive climate change.

I'm a writer, and a science fiction one at that, any solution I propose would not be rooted in education when it comes to infrastructure or mega-scale engineering. But given what humanity has already built in its history such as Mt. Rushmore, the Roman Coliseum, the Pyramids, etc. and with the benefit of modern technology, again it's not at all improbable that human civilization could survive massive climate change.

So because humans have built the pyramids we're suddenly able to create new ecosystems? That makes no sense. 

• Brohoof 1

So because humans have built the pyramids we're suddenly able to create new ecosystems? That makes no sense. 

I didn't say we could. Just that we could adapt to a new one.

A meteor? Yeah that's quite different. I mean sure the Earth recovered... over millions of years and nearly everything was dead. And the meteor was a chance event that nothing could have predicted or stopped. And do I look like a scientist to you? And what's your solution to these problems anyway?

I don't know what you look like at all so I could ask you the same. However if you don't have a theoretical solution to these problems why trumpet them?

I mean, as outlandish as this sounds, we could build insulated arcologies where the climate and atmosphere within can be maintained and controlled artificially. Sounds like something out of sci-fi, I admit, but at least it's an idea for how we can live.

• Brohoof 1

Slavic Republic..Ukraïna back to Russian soil

Depletion of oil

Eurozone breakup

Economic development in North Africa and Latin America

Better computers or worse internet censorship

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 2

You also said that you think that we can build a new ecosystem without giving any reason for why. By the way I'd love to hear some reason.

I never said we could create a new ecosystem planet wide. Please quote me and show me where I said that.

Slavic Republic..Ukraïna back to Russian soil

Depletion of oil

Eurozone breakup

Economic development in North Africa and Latin America

Better computers or worse internet censorship

Finally, a little cynical in parts but at least it's actually somewhat sensible.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I never said we could create a new ecosystem planet wide. Please quote me and show me where I said that.

I think we can.

There it is, though it doesn't really make sense without context.

Hmmm......

~More conflict

~More advanced technology

~Weather patterns would probably be different (Global Warming)

~Water level would increase (Global Warming)

~Huge chance of "over-population"

I can only assume that It's going to go downhill from here.

Edited by Uber_Stallion

There it is, though it doesn't really make sense without context.

You're right it doesn't. I also said, once again:

I'm not an engineer or anything so I don't have the knowledge to propose a realistic solution but at least I'm trying to think of one.

I'm a writer, and a science fiction one at that, any solution I propose would not be rooted in education when it comes to infrastructure or mega-scale engineering.
Edited by Steel Accord

I also said, once again:

What does that have to do with anything? If you think that we can build a ecosystem then you should give reasons for why you think so, regardless of what job you have.

You're right it doesn't. I also said, once again:

Gestum said that we'd be able to survive if we made a new ecosystem but that he didn't think it was possible. And you said that you think it was possible but that you're not a engineer.

There's the context.  

• Brohoof 1

What does that have to do with anything? If you think that we can build a ecosystem then you should give reasons for why you think so, regardless of what job you have.

Gestum said that we'd be able to survive if we made a new ecosystem but that he didn't think it was possible. And you said that you think it was possible but that you're not a engineer.

There's the context.  

I don't know if it is possible. Must I defend one communication mistake and have my actual suggested solution ignored?

• Brohoof 1

Don't know what about global warming, but it's really cold here, more than I used to during last years.

And, frankly, I'd rather have warm weather, than shaking from cold like I'm doing now. Well.. if it doesn't involve drowing, that is.

As for other things... I hope asian nations and/or NASA will finally make it, to Mars. Other than that, nothing too important will happen in space. That is, if there wouldn't be another Cold War. Seems like humans advance far better when trying to find out, who's better, stronger, richer, have a bigger... nose and so on.

Maybe one or two major civil wars, numerous conflicts, well, you know --like always.

I don't know if it is possible. Must I defend one communication mistake and have my actual suggested solution ignored?

I'm assuming that this is your actual solution:

we could build insulated arcologies where the climate and atmosphere within can be maintained and controlled artificially. 

How would you do that exactly? Is it even possible?  

If your suggested solution was the "insulated arcologies" then I have bad news for you, we don't have the technology for that on a big enough scale.

Also that really doesn't solve the problem with the animals.

• Brohoof 1

I'm assuming that this is your actual solution:

How would you do that exactly? Is it even possible?  

Completely insulated buildings? That's entirely possible with the means we have right now. It's the same technology that allows people to ride in airplanes with the same atmosphere as when the plane was closed for take off. It would be difficult to retrofit these measures on to some buildings right now, but wholesale new structures could handle it. Less windows, if any, air locks at all entrances and exits, etc.

If your suggested solution was the "insulated arcologies" then I have bad news for you, we don't have the technology for that on a big enough scale.

Also that really doesn't solve the problem with the animals.

Not enough to house absolutely everyone, but enough for the species to survive and remain viable. What about the animals?

• Brohoof 1