Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Your favorite handheld game system of all time

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I think my favorite was the PSP. That system was so far ahead of its time with so many awesome features and functions, with a really good UI too. The redesigns were also great. The lack of games later on and the overly expensive memory sticks definitely were a pain, but I still found it to be a wonderful system.   

I agree actually! The PSP is definitely close to the top of my list, it just sucks that it came out shortly before smartphones which more or less harmed its sales :c

• 2 weeks later...

THE NINTENDO DS

Didn't have the greatest graphics tech, but there are SO MANY different games with SO MANY different ways to control them- buttons? obviously. Touch screen? had those too. Both buttons AND touch? Could take some getting used too, but can be quite intuitive. Some games were even SIDEWAYS. As in, you hold the system like a book, it was rad! And don't get me started on dat library doe... which can all be played on a 3DS as well, but DS was the original dual screened handheld, so it wins out for me. :D

I'm gonna go with GBA SP. It has so many great titles from Golden Sun, to the Mega Man Zero series to Castlevania, Minish Cap, Konami Crazy Racers. Mine still works. Except the shoulder buttons have become less responsive. Sadness. :(

Edited by Leave a Whisper

• 7 years later...

I don't play hand held much. But I played Game Boy the most. Metroid II was great. But Playstation Portable was the best. I could load 2 GB memory sticks into it and watch movies and play music. The PS Vita can control the PS4, but from what I could figure, it used the PS4 wifi connection, and I could not have PS4 on wifi at the same time.

Does Virtual Boy count as hand held?

I still the champion the 3DS, because it had such an incredible game library. Of course, you could also play any of your original DS games on it, which really gave you so many great options.

3 hours ago, Silly Druid said:

A phone with Android is a good enough handheld game system for me.

That is interesting :)

What do you use to play your game? The touch screen, or something else?

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Silly Druid said:

touch screen

Some more conventional games might be more difficult to play with touch screen. I can think of some platform games as well as some puzzle games that when using a touch screen may alter how the game is played. Once a game has become touch screen specific, it is no longer possible to play it in the more regular game-pad/keyboard way without making one or the other easier to play.

I am just interested as a developer to hear your thoughts!

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Some more conventional games might be more difficult to play with touch screen. I can think of some platform games as well as some puzzle games that when using a touch screen may alter how the game is played. Once a game has become touch screen specific, it is no longer possible to play it in the more regular game-pad/keyboard way without making one or the other easier to play.

I am just interested as a developer to hear your thoughts!

Well, the kind of games I play on my phone work well with touch screen, these are puzzle games, card games and turn-based strategy/RPG. I suppose other kinds of games, especially those where maneuvering and fast reaction is required, could be more difficult, or play very differently on the touch screen.

• 2 weeks later...