Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv There is no good Star Wars movie

Lithophila

Although i tend to like the third. I guess its because it atleast tried to be somewhat plot related rather than PEW PEW you're dead XD

Although you could just describe it as popcorn movies in general.

But i was watching this too. Had a good laugh. It is spoiler free though.

(edited)

Well i had the opinion before i watched the video clip in general though, i bought the third movie just because i felt like watching it at the time. Like i tend to think that all movies are just PEW PEW, BANG BANG in general. Like i don't see a specific reason to argue one over the other i guess XD, since there is no good movie in general (Nerds on the net i mean). But i don't mean to ruin it for the general audience. Its just my opinion in general.

Edited by Lithophila

I agree with many of his points and thought mostly the same before. It just seemed to slap me in the face constantly with a plethora of nostalgia and with plot points far too similar to A New Hope 

• Brohoof 1

The Force Awakens currently has been the only Star Wars film I have seen in full, but I loved it. I do know details about A New Hope and I definitive felt similarities, but it has been what, 30 years since those movies came out? I see episode 7 being the way to establish a new trilogy of movies and it did that incredibly well. 

• Brohoof 2

I have watched all of the movies so far, and I have two things to say to that.

a) I think that they are all good movies.

B) They aren't all PEW PEW. Some are VJWUNG *that is a lightsaber noise*

Edited by FlutterFly761

Well i had the opinion before i watched the video clip in general though, i bought the third movie just because i felt like watching it at the time. Like i tend to think that all movies are just PEW PEW, BANG BANG in general. Like i don't see a specific reason to argue one over the other i guess XD, since there is no good movie in general (Nerds on the net i mean). But i don't mean to ruin it for the general audience. Its just my opinion in general.

Wait, NO movie is good in your opinion? Like . . . . none at all? 12 Angry Men, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, the Godfather, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Ordinary People, West Side Story, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Seventh Seal, To Kill a Mocking Bird, A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, On the Waterfront, It's a Wonderful Life; I could keep going and going! NO movies have any artistic merit in your opinion?!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well reviews aren't everything. But i know they are considered typical movie classics. I just don't consider Star Wars to be that great. Its like watching a popcorn movie to describe it, if that is your cake then thats totally ok. Nobody is better than the other :)

Edited by Lithophila

Well reviews aren't everything. But i know they are considered typical movie classics. I just don't consider Star Wars to be that great. Its like watching a popcorn movie to describe it, if that is your cake then thats totally ok. Nobody is better than the other :)

I think an Olympic Swimmer is better at swimming than the guy sitting on a pool raft but that's besides the point.

It's not just reviews, trash them all for what I care, I've seen all of those movies I listed and they are all wonderful pieces with themes, arcs, and/or messages. They are not just mindless entertainment to pass the time, they have the power to change people as all great art does.

You don't like Star Wars fine, but of all the movies in the original, prequel, and new trilogy, they have moved the culture of the entire world so they are among those examples of great art.

I don't think so. Great minds and intellectuals have. Science fiction is more or less entertainment. Entertainment is good though. So i won't complain about that. I mean i am not anti sci-fi person, there are some i liked which went on TV like Stargate SG-1. Although i can't say i've been a mega fan of Star Wars in general.

• Brohoof 1

I think you should redo the thread title. 

As for the topic at hand, I disagree. I think all the movies are good. The prequels are still somewhat crap in my opinion, but I still like them.

Star Wars broke so many records in its industry, holding many of them to this day. It became one of the most famous franchises on the entire planet. It literally defined an entire genre of fiction. To say you don't like it is fine enough. But to say it's objectively a bad series, is just objectively incorrect.
Nice bait, I'd bite harder if I had the energy.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think so. Great minds and intellectuals have. Science fiction is more or less entertainment. Entertainment is good though. So i won't complain about that. I mean i am not anti sci-fi person, there are some i liked which went on TV like Stargate SG-1. Although i can't say i've been a mega fan of Star Wars in general.

So . . . science fiction, has NO artistic or intellectual merit beyond entertainment?

So, the story of a man struggling to hold on to his humanity and individuality in the face of being reduced to a tool with no agency of his own . . . .

[spoiler

Robocop1.jpg

[/spoiler]

. . . has nothing to say about the human experience?

A polemic about mankind's paradoxical penchant for war as well as our ability to unite in peace and the possibility of a new age or utter annihilation being entirely of our own making . . .

dayearth1951.jpg

. . . . could leave no emotional impact on the person watching it beyond it's actual viewing?

A slow meditation from the very origins of human intelligence all the way to our conquest of the stars to confronting the ultimate unknown . . .

2001-a-space-odyssey-poster.jpeg

. . . . could never aspire to be great art?

In truth, there is no good or bad anything in arts in general. Just stuff people like and stuff people don't like.

That is absolutely not true. I may not like James Cameron's Avatar for instance, in fact I felt outright insulted by it, but to call it a bad movie would just be dishonest of me. It's not without elements that make a good film even if I don't find the piece as a whole enjoyable.

On the flipside, I quite enjoy Michael Bay's Transformer films but they consist of a laundry list of bad movie making decisions even if I find some elements make them worth it.

There is such a thing as good art and bad art. Bad art insults its audience and does nothing to enrich their lives. Good art treats its audience with respect and try's to make an impact on them or illicit some kind of emotional reaction.

So called "popcorn movies" can be good art even if there aspirations are just entertainment if they are well made. Die Hard may not change anyone's life, but it certainly does better as an action movie than On Deadly Ground. Evidence to that, I can guarantee you that more people completely at random know about Die Hard, even if they've never seen it, than On Deadly Ground.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

I'm curious, have you watched Empire Strikes Back in its entirety? It's arguably the darkest entry in the entire series, and expands greatly on the philosophy of the setting, namely the workings of the Force.

• Brohoof 3

The Force Awakens currently has been the only Star Wars film I have seen in full, but I loved it. I do know details about A New Hope and I definitive felt similarities, but it has been what, 30 years since those movies came out? I see episode 7 being the way to establish a new trilogy of movies and it did that incredibly well. 

As soon as you get a chance, you should watch the original trilogy. If you liked the new one, you will like the old ones.

I think the Star Wars movies (excluding the prequels) are great movies. One of my favorite movie series. I'll admit that Star Wars is not actually quite as good as people make it out to be. Some people think they are some of the greatest movies. In reality, the directing and pure cinematic quality of the originals are not amazing, they are OK. However, it is one of those movies that captures your imagination. That is what makes it so great. 

Edited by El Duderino
  • Brohoof 1

As soon as you get a chance, you should watch the original trilogy. If you liked the new one, you will like the old ones.

I think the Star Wars movies (excluding the prequels) are great movies. One of my favorite movie series. I'll admit that Star Wars is not actually quite as good as people make it out to be. Some people think they are some of the greatest movies. In reality, the directing and pure cinematic quality of the originals are not amazing, they are OK. However, it is one of those movies that captures your imagination. That is what makes it so great. 

Completely agreed, they aren't masterful pieces from start to finish. Compare George Lucas' direction to that of say, Stanley Kubrick. Any movie Kubrick made was virtually a stream of consciousness from his brain to the screen. There's never even an ambient sound unless Kubrick wanted it in there. Compare that to scenes on the Death Star where you can hear the shuffling of the character's feet or their stolen Stormtrooper armor knocking around, it's almost unfocused in how it plays out on the individual scene. (Even though the story flows rather smoothly.)

Even comparing Lucas to one of his tonal peers, Steven Spielberg. When Lucas wanted a fight scene, he had two actors in a realistically choreographed but never very dynamic sword fight. When Spielberg wants a fight scene, he puts Indy with an iron fisted mechanic as the two brawl around a plane spinning in place with Indy using every dirty trick in the book. (That being said, you cared about Vader and Obi-Wan or Vader and Luke fighting because their combat was just as much spiritual and emotional as physical.)