Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Liberal or Conservative?

SteelSpark

Unlike some other leftists, I own the "liberal" label, and I'm hard left.

8values-pol.png.19b69b5e7c599b1334caf11ae0aead1d.png

And many of my political opinions are very firm, particularly regarding the genocidal treatment of Palestinians by Israel's modern apartheid, peace over war and sanctions and regime change, de-nuclearization of energy and war supplies, urgency of climate change, public funding of all elections, nationalization of municipal transport, anti-monopolization of businesses, ending the War on Drugs, high taxes on billionaires and fortune 500 companies, and the right to education, healthcare, income (both UBI and at least a $15/hour national wage), drinking water, and housing.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I don't like politics as a whole however If I had to choose one or the other I'd pick right instantly I can't stand the left. I feel like I can put up with the right unlike the left 

I'm apolitical and have never truly been on the side of the left or the right. I used to feel more "liberal" to the point where I had difficulty understanding why so many people were conservatives and giving credence to stereotypes about conservatives just being hard-headed bigots stuck in the past as a result of my upbringing in a Christian fundamentalist household. Part of me was suspicious about things I was being told not being the truth, but I felt no real motivation to research into what I was suspicious of until after Trump won and I saw a huge change in not just liberals whom I long believed were on the side of free speech and being fair to everyone, but people whom I thought were my friends and acquaintances too. I've felt more "conservative" since I realized that not only was the left on the side of censorship and control, but that nothing they told me that I hadn't already believed was grounded in facts whatsoever. The real side that I'm on though and always want to stay on is the side of the truth, and I will always argue not for a side, but for what I know from observation of the truth how people are being manipulated and used. 

I'm a libertarian.

Some might say I'm a combination of liberal and conservative, but that's incorrect. I'm a liberal, but in a "the government should stay out of people's personal lives as long as they aren't harming anyone" kind of way, which is different from progressive social liberalism which requires more government intervention rather than less. I'm a conservative, but only when it comes to the size and scale of government. I believe that the state should primarily exist to 1. protect people's inalienable rights, 2. help settle civil disputes, and 3. provide a military to defend against attacks by foreign countries.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really like politics but I consider myself a left-wing libertarian. I support left-wing ideas, but also libertarian ideas if that makes sense.

But I will say this is a flawed question. It's basically asking if you're far right or more moderate but also a bit authoritarian, right. I mean that's what modern liberalism REALLY is. Inverse fascism clouded by a bad attempt to woo naïve leftists into believing in it. It would make more sense if it were asking are you a left-winger or a right-winger? Or, far better, what philosophy do you identify with politically?

Edited by Dusky, the Boy Queen

To be honest I'm pretty fed up of politics and politicians at the moment but I lean more centre right.

I'm not really a fan of the Liberal/Conservative labels as I think they're kind of misleading as parts of the left can often be the complete opposite of the word liberal being censorious, authoritarian and regularly resorting to bullying and intimidation of opponents. The conservative label also has unfortunate connotations as it is ofen used a way to label the right and being old fashioned in their views, unable to accept change etc which isn't true for the majority of the right.

In the ideal world probably the best thing would be for people with different opinions to work together to strike a balance between the ideas of both sides to find something harmonious that appeals to a majority but that's unlikely to happen.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud
  • Brohoof 1

I, like 90% of America, sit in the middle. I agree with some stuff that both parties say. We even took a what party are you test in high school and I was 62% Republican and 38% Democrat but that was before the big "Blue Wave" malarkey so it's probably more like full 70/30 now.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting to see fewer liberal people than I expected. I for one am quite conservative. I used to be a libertarian, because the "dogmas" of libertarianism are airtight within the framework of libertarianism ("if you can't take money from your neighbor why is it different for the government? etc.). But, after the 2016 election cycle, and my first few doses of real life in college, I went back to the religion-driven quasi-conservative sense from my upbringing. "Traditionalist" has many connotations, depending on context. But I am alternatively a traditionalist and a conservative in nearly the same sense as J.R.R. Tolkien, whose literature is influential on my worldview.

21 hours ago, Dusky, the Boy Queen said:

I don't really like politics but I consider myself a left-wing libertarian. I support left-wing ideas, but also libertarian ideas if that makes sense.

But I will say this is a flawed question. It's basically asking if you're far right or more moderate but also a bit authoritarian, right. I mean that's what modern liberalism REALLY is. Inverse fascism clouded by a bad attempt to woo naïve leftists into believing in it. It would make more sense if it were asking are you a left-winger or a right-winger? Or, far better, what philosophy do you identify with politically?

Also, political ideology varies from region to region. A German conservative is vastly different from an American conservative, and a Japanese liberal is vastly different from a British liberal. One good example is Taiwanese politics; Taiwanese liberals actually advocate for Taiwanese nationalism and the independence movement while increasing military spending to defend against China. This is despite nationalism and increased military spending been seen as aspects of the American right-wing. Meanwhile in Germany, the CDU (Merkel’s party) is conservative but heavily pro-EU and pro-immigrant, and are usually considered centrist, if not liberal, in other countries.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I generally consider my own stance to be centre-right. I used to be quite liberal in my younger years, but gradually shifted to be more conservative as I distanced myself from 'mainstream' politics. I dislike extremism from either side, and there are still some liberal ideologies I can agree with, but most of my stances nowadays lean firmly into the conservative territory.

This is a false alternative, liberal and conservative are not opposite.

On the liberal-authoritarian axis, I'm liberal.

On the conservative-progressive axis, I'm centrist.

• Brohoof 1

Probably on the non-US scale of things, I'm moderate, leaning left. By US standards I am definitively left, I have nothing in common with today's Republican Party. The US's scale of politics is skewed so far right I have to make this clarification because it would be weird for me to call myself left by European standards.