Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming I bought the Dungeons and Dragons Starter Set

cybershocker455

Hi, I bought the starter set for D&D and I'm going to play it with my sister and her friends soon. I'm going to be the DM and I'm just here for any tips and advice because I've never played a tabletop rpg before and I would love to create adventure for my friends to play in, so I'm willing to listen.

• Brohoof 2

Just familiarize yourselves with the rules and play around a bit with the characters they no doubt provide. Generally the sets have a starter adventure or two that are more or less tailored to the characters in the box. Since it's going to be everyone's first time by the sound of it, just take it slow and walk through the gameplay process they detail in the starter handbook. It doesn't hurt to get a game or two under your belt before you consider making an adventure of your own.

Also, if you're playing with other people make sure you have enough pencils and dice. You can order a 'pound of dice' off Amazon for around $22 if you want a wide variety or you can get something like 6 full sets for $16

Its a great way to spend a weekend afternoon, so I hope it works out well for you.  :grin2:

• Brohoof 1

@@cybershocker455,

What he said, but also I recommend not taking the rules too seriously. I mean if someone is trying to open a treasure chest and it's not locked, don't have them roll for it unless someone's beating their head with a frying pan while they're doing it just for example. The DM kit usually has everything you can do and more but just coming from a player's perspective, the best DMs are the ones who can roll with the punches. If your players want to go a bit off track, let them. If it's a first game, they're going to be more prone to listening to your direction anyway so a little digression doesn't hurt.

Well its good you found a group to play with, that often is the hardest part to getting a game of D&D going.

Be aware that D&D players are ingenious, trope aware bastards that will take the game off the rails at every opportunity.  Make sure you have some contingency plans when things start to get crazy.