Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you get paranoid?

Grtxkkyz

When you live in one of the most dangerous cities in America, you tend to get a little paranoid, especially walking home at night.

I'm also paranoid (dunno if I would call it that, though) about other things... that I'd rather not post here in public.

I'm often paranoid about failing at something. Last year taught me a lot and I'm better about it now, but it's still something that stays in the back of my mind to some extent. 

I have anxiety and panic disorder, so I'm almost always paranoid, if not utterly frantic if I haven't taken my Xanax on time, even if it's just an hour's time. However, I get panic attacks when people say things like 'I really like the freckles you've got on your face. It's cute.' or 'I don't see why you wear a mask all the time, your face looks just fine'. I wear a mask because I break down whenever people see my face unless I completely trust them. Yay me.

Paranoid? Who said I get paranoid. They are lying. I don't get paranoid. You know that right? Of course you do? How could you not know, unless.... you are one of them? Are you? ARE YOU? You'd tell me if you were calling me paranoid right? Of course you would.... unless you wouldn't, because you already have. Then you could put me on one of your lists couldn't you? Or have you? I NEVER SAID ANYTHING!

Nope, and for the most part I think it's rather silly. Why stress yourself out looking over your shoulder at something that isn't there?

It's why I find conspiracy theories so groan inducing. They always consist of some shadowy cabal representing the boogeyman of the theorist's political or social ideology engaging in some ludicrously complex scheme to make bad things happen.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Which is just as cynical for my taste, but I at least find it both preferable and completely logical that bad things happen due to a series of mistakes rather than a coordinating malicious will.

Bad things happen in my life all the time, but for the most part the blame can be laid squarely at my own feet. It sucks but at least my failures and downfalls are of my own making, so they can be corrected.

Paranoia is the surrender of agency, that one is choosing to see themselves as an object being acted upon.

"They're coming to get me!"

"It's not paranoia if they're really after you!"

Heard it all before. Life, people, and the world are more likely to offer you a hand than a knife in the back if you just let them.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Nope, and for the most part I think it's rather silly. Why stress yourself out looking over your shoulder at something that isn't there?

That's a perfectly reasonable outlook...  But paranoia isn't reasonable.

Also, it could frickin' be there.  You don't know, man! <--- This is intended to be the funny part.  I unintentionally wrote the second sentence in Shaggy's voice.

There are a number of conditions that can lead to paranoid thoughts and behavior.  Silly has nothing to do with it; it isn't necessarily a choice.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 2

That's a perfectly reasonable outlook... But paranoia isn't reasonable.

Also, it could frickin' be there. You don't know, man! <--- This is intended to be the funny part. I unintentionally wrote the second sentence in Shaggy's voice.

There are a number of conditions that can lead to paranoid thoughts and behavior. Silly has nothing to do with it; it isn't necessarily a choice.

Inevitability, thy name is Ziggy.

Must I be slaved to mention every permutation of my meaning whence I call attention to the prideful inanities of the modern man when of such insight my scrutinizers clearly posses? To speak of such afflicted is redundant as they are provably being acted upon by the genes their parents gifted them not conjuring phantoms of their bane.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Inevitability, thy name is Ziggy.

Must I be slaved to mention every permutation of my meaning whence I call attention to the prideful inanities of the modern man when of such insight my scrutinizers clearly posses? To speak of such afflicted is redundant as they are provably being acted upon by the genes their parents gifted them.

Nice to see you, too.

And yes. x3

Nice to see you, too.

And yes. x3

Sarcasm's sting, a poison all too familiar. My clarification was met with sorrow? Though our discourse has shared as much bitter debate as jubilant rejoice, I call thee friend and meant no offense.

• Brohoof 2

Sarcasm's sting, a poison all too familiar. My clarification was met with sorrow? Though our discourse has shared as much bitter debate as jubilant rejoice, I call thee friend and meant no offense.

Sarcasm's Sting: 1d6 +2.  Have you been hanging out with Bill Shakespeare since last I saw you?  You sound good.  Have you been eating enough?

And none taken.

I'm usually quite sane, but there are moments when I go into full-blown paranoia mode, generally when I want to keep something hidden. Of course, being on edge like that tends to give me away, so yeah.

I usually get paranoid about my safety due to giving away too much information about myself. For example, I could spend a long time typing up an 'about me' only to look back on it 10 minutes later and think "oh no, I've said far too much" and I delete it all.

• Brohoof 2

Sarcasm's Sting: 1d6 +2.  Have you been hanging out with Bill Shakespeare since last I saw you?  You sound good.  Have you been eating enough?

And none taken.

Sorry, I had a Bard binge last night and it was very late when I wrote back to you.

• Brohoof 1

Anxiety is linked to parnaoia like a few here have said, but its also linked to poor sleep as poor sleep can cause the heart anxiety by overowrking it, and the brain needs sleep as well plus with a weaker heart you get less circulation to the brain also and are more prone to paranoid thoughts because the anxiety is like a pain thus you become expectant of things that will cause more of the anxiety you already feel. If you choose to stay up later may want to reconsider. Also testing your paranoia to get it to go away might be an option. Once I was afraid of the dark and had to go to the bathroom but was afraid to go downstairs, so I waited for a few hours hoping to sleep til the sun came up but was so worried I couldnt sleep, so I went to the bathroom and decided to meditate in the dark. After a while my eyes adjusted a little, and more light came from the rising sun and the room slowly became illuminated and I have not been afraid of the dark since, but after that I was also walking around eyes shut and was developing the habit of leaving the lights off when i walk at night through the house to keep my ability to not be afraid of the dark.

Accidentally scaring fam a few times was pretty funny.

Frequently.

In addition to social anxiety in general (my autism may also contribute to it to some extent), I've had my trust abused enough from 'friends' who have lied to my face and stolen from me in the past so, I'm suspicious of everyone.

I even used to have two MLP-related tumblr ask blogs for fun before deleting them about a year ago, once I realized what a cesspool of sociopathy most of the site's userbase was made up of-with all of the organized harassment campaigns for those expressing 'wrongthink' given the seemingly perpetually offended and oversensitive nature of the vast majority of the site's userbase (like freaking out over petty things like the color 'yellow' not being tagged with 'trigger warnings') and the complete apathy of the administrative staff-I also realized how screwed I'd be if they ever decided to go after me, so all of the stress really defeated the purpose of creating those blogs in the first place, deciding it would be safer to leave.

Edited by Ianpiersonjdavis

• 4 weeks later...

When am I not paranoid? I check the locks over and over every night, make sure the security system is on. When I hear a noise I fear someone's going to break in. If my parents are at all late when coming home or picking me up from school I think of the worst possible thing happening, like them getting into a horrible accident. When I walk to school, I'm always looking behind me and fearing someone will kidnap and/or kill me. Yeah, being paranoid is an awful, awful feeling.