Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone have Autism?

Lithophila

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last December. (so nearly a year at this point) It turns out when I was a kid, I was assessed and was found to have "autism-like symptoms", but it took nearly 20 years for an official diagnosis.

It's said that being on the Spectrum can have it's benefits to go along with the disadvantages, but given the choice, I'd rather do without.

I have Asperger's Syndrome and was diagnosed with it way back in 1998 when I first started high-school.

To be honest, I think I am too, but it's kinda hard to explain why I think that.

not really but I do have some autistic traits

What do you mean by that? I'm just curious.

To be honest, I think I am too, but it's kinda hard to explain why I think that.

I got diagnosed with it when I found out that I was struggling with my studies along with being a withdrawn individual. This was back in Grade 10 mind you, so it's been eighteen years since then.

I Was diagnosed with mild high-functioning autism when I was around 2 years old. I'm actually in the education gray zone haveing a IQ too high to go into eany special schools and truly unable to keep up in mainstream schools. I really did suffer in primary school but we found a high school that was very small that actually was designed for kids in the gray zone and that's where I am now. I'm really surprised that I recovered within a few hours of a really traumatising event that took place last Tuesday after school. I arrived at the station as normal only to see and walk straight past this guy that I later found out was on crack and he was already going crazy making animal noises and frantically dancing around. But it really frightened me when he ran over to my friend and threw him on to the tracks. Lucky all the trains on the line had been stopped when he arrived on a inbound train that was still on the other platform. You would probably know about this incident if you live in Australia as it was broadcasted on national news. :)

Edited by Techno Universal

I Was diagnosed with mild high-functioning autism when I was around 2 years old. I'm actually in the education gray zone haveing a IQ too high to go into eany special schools and truly unable to keep up in mainstream schools. I really did suffer in primary school but we found a high school that was very small that actually was designed for kids in the gray zone and that's where I am now. :)

Very similar to how I was. I actually read at a college level in 6th grade, I remember. Had a very hard time finding a school right for me, but like you had, we found a place right for me.

• 2 weeks later...

my parents thought i did for like, the past 14 years but it was actually adhd. still pretty knowledgable on the subject

Funny, what I thought was ADD turned out to be Asperger's They tend to look pretty similar.

*raising a hoof* I have autism. But, even though I am, it made my life, like, really hard. I was bullied so many times during my early teen, sometime also targeted at. That got me to have an "darker side" in me when I'm being targeted by bullies. I was, even I'm autism, still managed to make few friends who would protect and defend me, like when I was in school. So my life has never been easy. Do you all, who has autism, feel the same? 

*sigh* ...Yes. I have autism. Now I may not show it but I am extremely sensitive to a lot of things, but no one in my family seems to care enough to genuinely listen to me. I also have OCD, major depressive disorder, and insomnia. I'm just a big mixed bag of nuts...

I sort of have Autism, but It's on a very weak spectrum which is lucky for me. I try not to let it bother me but it has a huge impact on my life. See, I tend to have these periods where I find something really cool I get attached to, and then for a few months I can't stop thinking about it and talking about it. After a while it dies down a little, but it stays as one of my normal interests. This was also the case for me and MLP, back when I first joined the fandom, and even now after rejoining it. However I like to think that other than that I'm completely normal (Well, other than I like MLP and that I still even watch cartoons and play E+ video games even though I'm a male teenager. OK, I'm done pointing out my flaws now XD) and that my Autism doesn't define who I am. To be honest I find it more comfortable to just pretend I don't have it and fool myself, it makes me feel better. However it has more of an effect on my life and the people around me than me myself. Seriously, at school all the teachers talk to me like I'm braindead or that I'm 5 years old and I'm a "special snowflake" as they call it. I've had to put up with that all the way up to high school now, and it really, REALLY gets annoying.

OMG I've found my people xD Seriously, the first half is SO me.

OMG I've found my people xD Seriously, the first half is SO me.

Wow, I found that pretty relatable as well. It's weird, I feel like I'm a normal person most of the time, but at the same time I know I'm not, people always notice that I act differently, but not so much that they would suspect I have a condition. It's like being in some sort of  weird limbo. It has its advantages, but sometimes it's exhausting, I feel like I get the worst part of both worlds.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Yes, I apparently have Asperger's syndrome (i.e. autism, high-functioning autism or whatever term you prefer). Not exactly sure how it affects me as I'm not the least bit socially inept, academically unable or sensuously challenged, but some fuckboy doctor "analysed" my strange and obnoxious four-year-old self (I used to think that I was a dinosaur, used to dress up as a literal mermaid and had the most clapped hair on the planet) and thought, "oh yeah lets just diagnose this four-year-old kid with an extremely complex disorder thats gonna hugely impact the rest of his life xD." Fast forward ten years and I've been put in a "SpEcIaL" school full of spastics, Eugenes, low-functioning autists and overly hyperactive specimens with attention-defect disorders. What could be better, amirite? 

Edited by BulkyBright

I don’t have autism but I have met quite a few people who have it; mostly high functioning.

I, personally do not have it, but I have good friends who have it (I don’t know how bad it is or what type it is for them, they have not chosen to divulge that information with me yet). And I get upset whenever anyone calls someone autistic because, well, some of my friends are autistic, and I don’t think they should do that