Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dealing with depression... pony-style.

SnowDust

Okay, so I doubt I'm the first person to say something like this, and nor will I be the last. But seriously, for anypony out there with depression or other like-"disorders," do you use ponies to deal with them?

I personally find that ponies are the cure for EVERYTHING. For example, just today, everything went down the drain as of my English class. So, I come home, pony, and then? BAMF, I see everything in a whole new light. Months back, when I was fighting depression at its worst, I found ponies-- and six months later, I'm happy for the first time in several years.

Not only has this all been thanks to ponies, but to the people out there who enjoy them-- the entire fandom. I'd just like to tell the world how thankful I am that I found ponies, and all of you, the fans. Without you guys, I'd have been dead long ago. I really appreciate it, and fully plan on giving something back to the community now.

...erm, yeah, just really wanted to throw that out there. Plus, I'm new to this specific website, and I'd like to introduce myself and get to know some of the users (I haven't seen a forum specific to this yet...)

My name is Tom Ebert, and I'm from good old Missouri, USA. I'm a huge gamer and basketball player, and (of course) a pony lover to the end. I enjoy just about everything except for Asian pop music, most animes, and country music. I'm a huge RPer, and my OC is Snow Dust. He's a purple Unicorn with a love of farming and the cold. I'm new to the site (restating information WOOPWOOPWOOP), and fully plan on joining your community here. This is a picture of my OC, using that ponycreator from DeviantArt (I'm sure you all know of it, and I can't remember the author's name, so I'm skipping the citation).

post-3901-0-51163300-1335381064.jpg

tl;dr -> New guy. OC in pic.

• Brohoof 5

I've never personally had to deal with depression, but I've heard stories about people who are on the edge of suicide and ponies managed to help them out of it.

Welcome to the forums! Although introductions should be posted in the introduction forum...

• Brohoof 1

I deal with depression myself. As for others dealing it with yourself is best, because your the only person that can resolve most of your problems.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

i agree with fox X3

i deal with depression alot, but sometimes life sucks, thats the honest truth, but ponies have helped, espically pinky pie, she basiclaly taught me to turn life into a game when you can.

Edited by Midnight Moon
  • Brohoof 1

Im not trying to whine about myself, but I do get quite depressed from time to time. I usualy either watch an episode or look at some ponies on EQD or here to get over it. So yhea, ponies have helped me allot over the past year :)

And welcome to the forums! Cool OC!

• Brohoof 1

Ponies do cheer me up and make me happy, but they've never really help me through depression though. People on brony forums though? They're the best people on earth IMO. They've helped me with some of my problems, but i'm still not completely fixed yet... i love you guys.

Also, hello Tom, nice to meet you.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't struggled with depression in awhile, but I do struggle with a lot of anxiety issues, I have PTSD and while after years of therapy and learning coping mechanisms have helped me be able to control it for the most part I do have moments where my anxiety is crippling.

When I heard Pinkie's song "Giggle at the Ghosties'" It made me remember something I learned in therapy, that sometimes the things that trigger my anxiety or are overwhelming to me I have to remember the bigger picture and not let myself get caught up in the monsters I let my anxiety make out of things. Sometimes you have to take a step back take a closer look and let yourself giggle.

My Little Pony reminds me of that, and I find it soothing or a good pick me up on some of my harder days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tiynTPuUUM

• Brohoof 1

post-2915-0-35922400-1335401591.jpg

...Sorry, I had to.

No, I don't use ponies when I'm feeling down. I watch some TTGL.

Seriously, this is no joke. Ponies make your day better. I've taken to listening to pony music while I game to bolster the relaxing effects OF gaming. Bad day? SMILE SMILE SMILE! :D That episode NEVER fails to make me feel better. In fact, my husband now instinctively knows when to turn it on our DVR. That and a glass of wine (if you're 21 :P) make EVERYTHING better. And hugs. Hugs and ponies and wine make EVERYTHING better. And Mike's hard Limeade...And ICE CREAM :D :D :D

FREE PONY HUGS, HARD CIDER (for those over 21) AND ICE CREAM FOR EVERYPONY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I have struggled with depression for as long as I can remember. I don't believe that ponies cured my depression. I think it was more like ponies showed me the joy of living and having friends which changed my view on life and the depression just went away with my and was replaced by my new take on life. I have my down days as much as anyone else. When I'm down I usually listen to Pinkie's Smile song and I'm instantly in a good mood again. Watching an episode also helps but not as much as Pinkie's song ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I have depression too, and ponies seem to help sometimes (with the help of my boyfriend!). And I guess the pills... but I don't feel much of a change with them /:

But welcome to the community! I'm glad you found something that helps make you happy, and even more glad that it's FiM!

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes the ponys have helped, other times they have made it worse (since the world isn't Equestria). It usually depends on the source of the depression. If its based on something like school or something else physical then they usually help. However, if it's based on something philosophical like "the world is such a terrible place" then it's usualy worsened since Equestria is such a wonderful looking place.

I hope that made sense.

Yes, I am a negative person :[

I get depressed when I realize how much of an awful person I am/how stupid the world is/etc.

Ponies do help that, it cheers me up, and also helps me to remember that I do have friends and that there are still good people in the world.

• Brohoof 1

I deal with depression myself. As for others dealing it with yourself is best, because your the only person that can resolve most of your problems.

Hes the only person who can solve it, but the only pony that can solve it is?

I haven't struggled with depression in awhile, but I do struggle with a lot of anxiety issues, I have PTSD and while after years of therapy and learning coping mechanisms have helped me be able to control it for the most part I do have moments where my anxiety is crippling.

When I heard Pinkie's song "Giggle at the Ghosties'" It made me remember something I learned in therapy, that sometimes the things that trigger my anxiety or are overwhelming to me I have to remember the bigger picture and not let myself get caught up in the monsters I let my anxiety make out of things. Sometimes you have to take a step back take a closer look and let yourself giggle.

My Little Pony reminds me of that, and I find it soothing or a good pick me up on some of my harder days.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-tiynTPuUUM

That song didnt help me with nightmares from cupcakes.

Through all of our lives, our severity of depression varies. I guess recently however, I've been living in fear and suffering anxiety attacks because of something that happened recently to me... My doctor has even told me to find ways of calming down or my psychosomatic induced symptoms could get the edge on me. While I've always enjoyed watching MLP in the past, I actually found that being with my friends have made me feel the greatest when we do things together. In fact I'm about to go visit one whom is returning from Porto Rico.

I feel bad because, lately I've been very reclusive around them, but they still stick beside me when they realized what I was going through, and truly those are the friends I consider practical family. I always welcome them with open arms into my house and feed them whenever we hang out. I owe them so much that I fear I may not live long enough to give them my all, and that has been one of my biggest regrets thus far, is not spending more time with them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm generally a cheery person, but I'm also manic depressive. When I get into one of my funks I've always had a really hard time getting out and there really never was an easy fix. That's a little different now, I don't think that I'm actually able to ever cure a depressive fit with ponies, but I can always mitigate it so my highs can go higher without my lows getting lower. There's a lot of time spent doing things that I enjoy that I've been feeling is wasted, but that is never true about mlp. There is always something about the show that works, whatever the mood I'm in its always a little better after watching it.

Also welcome to the forum Snowdust!

Depression and being a teenager go hand-in-hand.

Life get a whole lot better once you're out of the unholy Hell that is high school. Once you're out of high school, life doesn't just get 20% cooler ... it gets about a hundred times more fun.

Sometimes the ponys have helped, other times they have made it worse (since the world isn't Equestria). It usually depends on the source of the depression. If its based on something like school or something else physical then they usually help. However, if it's based on something philosophical like "the world is such a terrible place" then it's usualy worsened since Equestria is such a wonderful looking place.

I am actually very similar to this. It really does suck that quite a few people out there are mean and cruel to one another, people discriminating, and all that. Not saying there isn't any nice people out there though of course. It's just I wish that everyone or almost everyone could get along.

However, when I get depressed/stressed out over how the world is right now or with my current life the depression actually helps me because it reminds me and gives me more energy and resolve to strive for the life that I want to have. It gives me determination and drives me to try harder at everything and in becoming a better person. It can definitely shape you into a wonderful person!

Turn a negative situation into something positive, right? :)

Anyway, yes, MLP has helped me a lot - probably more than anything else ever has.

• Brohoof 1

ABSOLUTELY YES Because of todays peoples attitude the way people treat others.I sunk into sadness all the time.But Ponies showed me the light. Edited by Flutter Derp

(edited)

Yh I deal with depression. Yh, ponies help 'cause the show is pretty funny and the ponies make me laugh. As for 'disorders'.... what do you mean by that? 'Cause I have mild Autism and I wonder if something like Autism is what you mean by disorder. If not..... then sorry T_T

Edited by Lucky Fire

• 5 years later...

This post is so late. :lol: I'm only, what... five/six years late. 

Anyway. 

I have periodic depression and pretty severe social anxiety. Thus, I've always had a really hard time making friends, which can be even more depressing. Watching MLP never fails to help. I've learned important lessons from the ponies and can always rely on the show (and the fan base) to cheer me up, whether or not it's intentional. ^^

• Brohoof 4