Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv "Let's Make A Deal" vs. "The Price is Right"

Courageous Thunder Dash

Gameshows  

3 users have voted

1. 1. Let's Make A Deal or The Price Is Right?

• Let's Make A Deal
    • The Price Is Right

Let's Make a Deal and The Price is Right are two of my favorite gameshows. They both give away big prizes but in very different ways. 

Let's Make a Deal stars Wayne Brady as host. In this game, there's almost always a chance you can go home with something, even if it's just money. However, it's up to you and it all depends on what choices you make. Don't let looks be deceiving in this game. Sometimes, people say that "big things come in small packages." This can be true in some situations in this game, but unfortunately, not all of the time. Let's say you've been picked to make a deal. First off, you're given a choice between $500 or a small box. It could be a trap, but you decide to go for a box, only to get what is known a "zonk". Yeah...a zonk is a nonsense item (like a log car) that can't be given away. It's like the bankrupt in Wheel of Fortune. The biggest problem in Let's Make a Deal is you don't know when a zonk could occur. In fact, just today, a double zonk occurred and two people left with nothing. There are also designated "car rounds" where the contestant chosen has a chance for the car. However, Wayne can offer them a sum of money, usually around $2,000 for them to stop the game and walk away with money instead of going for the car. These rounds will lead up to what is known as "The Big Deal of the Day". The Big deal is usually worth $20,000 or higher, and it's behind only 1 of 3 doors. It could be anything in that price range. Sometimes, it's a trip to an awesome place plus a car. After the Big Deal, the host and his assistant scour the audience to give away extra cash. However, in order to give it away, the person must have something special. The list of things to bring can be found on Let's Make a Deal's twitter page. 

The Price is Right dates all the way back to the days of Bob Barker. Drew Cary now hosts it. There are two halves to the show, each running the same way, but both leading to what is known as the Showcase Round. In the Price is Right, there is already a list of pre-selected contestants, in comparison to let's make a deal where Brady chooses contestants on the spot. Each round starts with the four contestants being shown an item and they have to guess the price of the item. The person who's closest to the actual retail price gets to go on stage for a shot at a bigger price. There are many different mini games. They all can be found on The Price Is Right website. The biggest thing you have to be careful about is that one mistake can cost you the game. However, there are some minigames that give you more than one chance. After four contestants have been though their minigames, it's time to spin the wheel to see who can get the highest amount of money. The wheel has values in increments of 5 starting from 5 as the lowest to 100 as the highest. Each person gets two spins and their values have to equal 100 or 1 dollar. The values on the wheel are in cents. After the first group gets their spins, it's back to regular play, until the showcase round. The two people who spun the wheel and got the highest values get to go the showcase round. The showcase round is just like the selection round, only this time, the prizes are bigger and better. They often come in bundles. The person with the smallest difference in their bid to the regular price wins. Sometimes, people get so close to the price, that they are rewarded with both showcases. There was even one guy who guessed the price right on the nose. 

So, now that we got all that information, let's get to the pros and cons of each show to determine which one you would pick

Let's Make A Deal

Pros

• Better chance of being selected
  • Bigger chance of winning something
  • More money opportunities
  • Post-gameshow money giveaway

Cons

• 50/50 chance of items behind doors, curtains, or inside boxes are zonks
  • 1/3 chance big deal is won
  • Chance of being selected is low

The Price is Right

Pros

• Chance of walking away with up to 3 or more prizes
  • Chance of winning $100K or $1M
  • Designated "kids week" where everyone walks away with a trip to a fun kids destination
  • Designated "dream car week" where there's a chance to win a very expensive car

Cons

• Predetermined list of contestants
  • Only one chance on minigames (except only a few)
  • May not be able to go on stage even though you're selected

So...now that we got the info, which will you choose. 

Personally, I'd choose Let's Make A Deal. It's more fun and not as serious as The Price Is Right, where everything literally has to be perfect on the mini games. 

What about you guys?

• Brohoof 1

Not being a huge fan of game shows like this myself, I have to go with the Price is Right, simple because it holds a ton of nostalgic value for me. I remember watching it constantly at my grandma's when I was little, as she watched game shows all the time. The Price is Right in particular stuck out to me. I always love the big wheel for some reason. :P

• 7 years later...

Let’s Make a Deal is my favorite of the two. It was way more interesting and I liked the host (I’m talking about Monty Hall in the original version here, folks). I think his personality put the show over, and there was always a chance of losing everything as opposed to not winning everything; there was risk involved. So that's one advantage over Price is Right.