Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

slice of life A Musician and a Nerd - A Poniverse Mascots fanfic

Lightwing

Put it on the scale please  

2 users have voted

1. 1. Bad or Good?

• 10/10 would ship again
    • 0/10 not ship worth

Disclaimer: this follows by no means any established canon about any of the mascots of Poniverse. This is only written by my own amusement, so if you love it, I will love you back, and if you don't love it, I will give you a patient smile and ask what should I do to make it better, m'kay? c:

It was the beginning of a new day, and things seemed to look positive and bright for anypony around. The fillies were running around, the colts and mares were opening their shops, getting for a new day of business. As the light of dawn crossed through the trees, it started to touch somepony's face, and thus bringing her away from her slumber...

"...Just 5 minutes more, and then I will get into it, please..."

That was none other than Viola, the always lovable musician pony. Just like she said that, her promise was met, and after 5 minutes, Viola got up and starter putting her hair in the style she loved the most. After she was done, Viola looked at the mirror and started talking to herself:

"Don't I look simply divine?. Now, Buffy still won't come around for at least in a couple hours, so I can use this time to practise my music for a bit..."

As soon as she finished that, she streched her hooves for one brief second, and moved on near her favourite instrument, the violin. She carefuly removed it from its box and started playing it, and at the same time she started making a subtle whistling. In her own words, it "helps to keep concentration early on".

It's a beautiful day outside, without a doubt. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming. On days like these...

"IN THE NAME OF EVERYTHING I LOVE AND RESPECT, HOW THE **** COULD I DIE LIKE THAT?!?!?!"

That sudden scream made Viola drop her violin to the floor, and it caused it to break its strings, specially due for how fragile they normally are. While normally she doesn't get angry, that one thing was something that truly pulled Viola's inner anger, which made her to open the door quite violently and to mumble something as she went outside, onto her Neighbour's residence:

"..ponies like him should be burning in hell"

Viola recognized that voice immediately, as only one pony would scream at such high volume for something like a death. She quickly rushed to the door to the buiding that faced hers, and started to hit the door quite hard.
"NOVA, I KNOW YOU ARE THERE. I HEARD YOU SCREAMING OVER YOUR DEATHS AT YOUR VIDEOGAMES, SO YOU BETTER OPEN YOUR DOOR"
After that hard knocking, a few seconds passed... and nothing happened. She waited a minute more, until she got tired of waiting, and was about to start to knock again. But, just as if her prayer was heard somewhere, the door opened slowly, revealing a light coated pony, along with his bright orange mane.

"Oh hai there. You should know by now that I like letting people wait before tasting this stallion, y'know? Not that it's a shame to admit..."

Nova Blast had always had that sort of personality. He was by no means evil or nothing like that, but he always thought of himself as "too cool to touch", which leads him to be the way he shows himself. Evidently, Viola wasn't in the right mood to argue with Nova about that, as she had more important problems to take care of at that point of time, specially as her mind was busy at that moment...

Oh my celestia, you are so dead Nova, I am going to rip... calm down, Viola. Don't lose your mind. Take a deep breath and then think again about what you are going to say... Ready? Then let's go...

"Nova, darling, I know that as much as I enjoy your presence around here, your constant screaming has lead me to some... accidents. Namely, your last scream made me lose my concentration, and my violin has payed the price. So I thought that, maybe, you had something to say?"

Nova noticed that Viola was wearing the violin on her back. In that same second, Nova quickly used his magic to move it near him, much to Viola's dislike.

"Come on Violy, this has an easy fix, y'know? Just give it to me and you will have it sorted out in less than what it takes me to beat a side scroller with my eyes closed"

Viola couldn't avoid but blush slightly at that nickname, which he always uses whenever referring to her, with both a smile and a bit of anger. Both Nova and Viola have always had a long historial of bickering between them for almost everything, but that didn't kept them from having a strong friendship, even when they didn't showed it to each other that often.

"Can I at least walk inside while you do your "magic"? Not that I don't trust you, but you know..."

Nova knew that her worries were founded, so he just nodded, which was a positive signal for her, which lead to her coming in. Even after all this time, this was the first time that Viola had seen Nova's house from inside. Yeah, they have met before in other places and such, and even he made a visit or two to her house, but she never had the chance to see how did Nova's house looked like. Maybe this was some sort of "destiny" thing, although she could only focus on having her violin repaired in time at this moment.
"Nova, can I ask how long will it take you to fix this? Again, not doubting about your skills or nothing, but I don't have all day."

Nova simply pulled a small tool and pulled the strings away. In less time than she thought, it was fine and perfect for use, thing that actually left her completely confused.

"Violy, Violyy, Violyyy... You should know by now that I know what am I doing. I use this small tool oftenly when the cables of my controllers get broken and such, and seeing that your strings are no different from my cables, it should do the same job... which it looks like it did"

Viola was actually impressed at that. Sure, she was a bit angry that Nova was comparing the strings of her instrument to some... cables from a video console controller, but she saw by herself that she was in no position to argue about its effectiveness. Either way, she took the string of the violin and put it again on it. After that, she started to play something on the violin, which sounded clean and pure... in fact, it sounded more clean and pure than anything she ever played before! Whatever Nova did made the violin's strings capable of producing much more pure sounds than what she could have never imagine.

"N-Nova! I don't know what you did, but this is incredible! My music sounds so pure now... I cannot thank you enough for this!"

The anger that she formerly had was long gone. What Nova did truly made her happy, and even Nova seemed to enjoy the new sounds of her violin, specially with its new sound. For all of its flaws and criticisms against video games, Viola always admitted that they helped Nova to have a surprisingly good taste for music, along with a good knowledge of it, which worked in tandem with his skill as a video game creator and the music being an important part of it. Sure, it may not be as good as somepony's knowledge if they actually studied about music, like her, but that didn't made it less impressive.

In that moment, Nova approached Viola and heard once again the notes that she played.

"You know, Violy? Maybe you could try playing some different notes, not that I doubt about your talent, but I would like to see if something can work. Here, let me see if I can..."

In that same instant, he grabbed Viola's hooves and moved them slowly, along with the violin's bow, until they were in a slightly different position. For many ponies, this would not make a difference at all, but Viola knew what he wanted her to do, and she played the same song as before, although this time it gave a better sound. She wanted to argue against that, specially seeing how she was properly taught in the art of music, while Nova just learned by hearing videogame tunes, but he somewhat found an harmony on her tunes, so she let it pass this one time.

"See, Violy? I know what I am doing, after all, for a reason everypony likes to have me around"

Even after this show of kindness, Nova was still the same silly pony as before, always showing the best of his confidence, while kindly flipping his hair with his hood, which actually managed to crack a laugh out of Viola, which caused Nova to laugh back at her. Even with their wars and battles and such, they enjoyed each other's company.

With all this dandy stuff and all that, she just noticed that she only had 30 minutes left to prepare herself for when Buffy comes!

"Oh god, Buffy will be coming soon! I'm sorry Nova, but I have to leave, I'll see you later, I guess"

She immediately got up and ran back to her house, although Nova noticed that with all the hurrying, she forgot her violin on his house, so he followed Viola without her seeming to notice him just to give her back the violin.

Viola didn't tend to close her door with key, so Nova just knocked as he came in, while trying to speak to let her know that he was no stranger. Even if he has been at her house before, it was always a mysterious place, seeing how he was not used to her "organization", vastly different from his house.

"Violyy... Just for your information, I am Nova. I just want to give you your violin baack, because it seems that you forgot it at my houseee.... Just sayiiingg...."

He put the violin back at her room, and gently walked outside, although he got interrupted by a cloud of water vapor. In the middle of that cloud there was a weird and not commonly seen Viola, with her hair watered down while she was cleaning it and such,, although with a towel over her head, keeping most of her hair under it. She was getting ready for Buffy's coming, as they were going to take their morning breakfast, just like they did for a while already.

Viola was actually going to hit Nova with a random bottle under the assumption that it was going to steal something, until he noticed that he wasn't a thief and it was just Nova. Then she stopped right on her track and looked at him annoyed.

"Nova?!?! What are you doing here?! Do you even known the most basic rules?! A gentlecolt would never present himself in such an uncouth way!!"

In that same instant, her towel fell from her head, leading to the show off of her hair when it was totally free. This was truly something strange, as Viola rarely showed her hair without her recognizable hair style, although this "watered hair" had some sort of charm to Nova. He didn't knew what it was, and he couldn't mumble a word for the life of it.

"V-vio.. y-you ha-hair.. It looks so.. so.."
"So beautiful..."

That last sentence went unheard by Viola, so she just picked off her towel again, and put her hair back to its prior state before continuing talking. After Nova explained how did she forgot her Violin at his house, he wasn't as mad at him anymore, and she just smiled as she rubbed her head in a forgiving manner.

"Heh, yeah, sorry darling. But I bet you would react the same if I suddenly came to your house and I caught you at the shower, or wouldn't you?"

Nova suddenly smirked a bit and quickly hide the subtle red on his cheeks with his hoof, before coming with his confident self to answer Viola's question
"Hah, I bet I would love it, ponies like my company, and I cannot reject the love, y'know Violy?. Wait, I mean... No! Of course I wouldn't! You are sneaking at my house! But the love though..."

He was about to speak again, but then he knew that the more he talked, the more he would mess things up, so he simply answered with a "Maybe not that much". Viola just smiled and had a sudden red shade on her cheeks before quickly going away, just before Nova could notice it. For a few minutes, they just were staring at each other, just smiling, and even if they were only a few minutes, for them they looked like hours... hours that neither of them wanted to end.

But as the minutes went on, neither of them noticed that Viola left the faucet open, while it was still dropping water, although thanks to Viola's habit of not letting the faucet to drop a lot of water, it was a very slow flow, which left a tiny pool at her bathroom.
"O-oh Celestia! I got distracted and I forgot about this!"
Viola quickly ran and closed the faucet, but she ended up slipping afterwards thanks to the water pool. In that moment, Nova went and helped her to get up, although he pulled her a bit too hard, and their faces ended up a bit too close...

Nova was the sort of pony that didn't tended to show this kind of things, but this was one situation where he had a hard time hidding them, so he simply showed a slight shade of red on his face

"Sooooo....."

Viola, on the other hand, wasn't doing much better. When she first got up, she didn't thought that she would end up like this with Nova, which, unexpectedly, caught her by surprise, and her face also showed a shade of red.

"Sooooooo.....?"

He hardly knew what to do on this situation. He would normally try to be the confident one and the brave one, but again, he was put in a situation where this wasn't as easy as it sounded.

"Sooooooooo..."

Not too long later, Buffy knocked on the door, while playing with her scarf. She was ready to go with Viola on their morning breakfast, which has been a tradition between them for a long time. But as the minutes went on, she didn't seemed to reply.

"Hmm, I wonder what will be that silly pony doing..."

She knew perfectly that Viola never closed her door with key, so she just knocked in and walked through. She observed that the main room was still covered in vapor, which meant that it wasn't too long ago since her last shower, so she kept looking for her, until she spotted her silhouette, being shown by a bit of light. Buffy then approached the corner and started to see Viola, although she was not ready to see what she was about to witness....

"Hey Viola, what are you do.... WHAT IN THE HOLY NAMY OF, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?"

She inmediatly saw something, something that she would have never expected o her entire life. Viola and Nova were still in the same position as they were minutes ago, but they were, they were...
They were kissing each other. Not a big kiss like those that she saw in her trash movies, but it was a kiss, a genuine kiss, which was the absolute last thing that she expected to see in like... ever.

"B-but h-how is t-this possible.. i-i cannot process..."

Viola and Nova got distracted from their kiss as soon as Buffy started to malfunction, and they simply stared while still holding their hooves, although Viola spoke first.

"Uh..."

Nova then continued what she was going to say, seeing how Buffy was about to explode in some way.

"We can explain this..."

Buffy was still speechless after what she just witnessed. Again, nobody would have expected neither of them kissing each other, so this came as a surprise to her, expecting to just have a nice breakfast with her lovely friend Viola, but coming to see how did she kissed Nova Blast, the Nova Blast.

"Okay... I don't have nothing against what you just did or anything like that, buut... Can I ask for an explanation, please...? I think that I wasn't simply ready for this kind of thing..."

The end...?~

• Brohoof 2