Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking for advice for a new upcoming fanfiction

DeadRightNowBoi

So as I attempted to write my first MLP Fanfic on FIMFiction.net a couple months back, things didn't quite go so well. My first fanfic was about a crossover with MLP and I received a lot of negative feedback. I guess my type of crossovers only work so well when it comes to SFMs. I guess I can't pull it off on FanFiction :(  So what I did was just simply got rid of the story and I would work on it another time.

Now, I'm planning to write another fanfic that's NOT a crossover, and an plot that's more unique than my previous one. I would really wanna put all my time and effort in this one, but before I start though, do you guys have anything I should keep in mind when writing? I'm a newb at this stuff, but I would really want to get into it! :)

Respect the status quo. Don't immitate any of the canon characters or have them do something impossible any of the characters couldn't do. No being stronger than Twilight, no flying faster than RD, more shy that fluttershy, etc... xd

If it's an unfamiliar setting, spend a paragraph or two describing the scene, but don't go over board. Also try to keep the flowery or over exaggerated descriptions (aka "Purple Prose") to a minimum. Good rule is to remember the K.I.S.S. advice: Keep It Simple Stupid! 

Afterwords, look for an editor or two. No matter how much you reread and self-edit, you will make mistakes either grammar or story wise. Even then it doesn't hurt to have a fresh set of eyes give it a look before making it live.

There are only two things that really put me off a story: The dialogue and the Tense.

I personally suffer from the former, I not very good at creating quality dialogue. You could have the most intricate plot and interesting characters, but if you have really stiff and unnatural dialogue then people just aren't going to enjoy it.

You should also ensure that you aren't writing in the present tense. I've seen a couple of people doing this and I find that it utterly ruins a story. Look at popular novels like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, these are both written in the past tense, as if someone were recalling a memory.

I'd also get a couple of people to help, someone to proof read (checking grammar, spelling, the flow of your writing). And then I'd get someone else to ensure that the story is easy to follow, that you haven't missed any details or plot points, that the dialogue flows smoothly and that the chapter/story/etc, so far makes sense.