Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship is Magic #41 - Rainbow Dash and the VERY BAD DAY

Megas

sig-4335317.1069882__safe_rainbow%20dash

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #41

Katie Cook (Writer) • Andy Price (Artist & Main Cover)  • Amy Mebberson (Subscription Cover)  •  Sara Richard (Retailer Incentive Cover)

"Rainbow Dash’s Very Bad Day" A good day turns bad and Dash can’t shake her bad mood. Before long, it infects all of those around her. What can cure this case of the grumpies?!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Admittedly I'm both excited and worried about this one. 

Pros:

+ It's a main series comic about Rainbow Dash, who hasn't gotten a a focus comic in the main series yet(Pirates doesn't count. That was a bait-n-switch about Fluttershy and her dumb fish instead :diamondtiara: )

+ It's a Katie Cook comic that's a small Slice-of-Life story, which is where she usually shines

Cons:

- It's Katie Cook writing a focus comic about Rainbow Dash, a character I feel that, even in her best comics, she usually treats like crap  :diamondtiara:

I'll wait and see, I have my reservations, but this still can still be a fun read

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I had my expectations practically at 0 considering it's Cook&Price doing a story on a character they normally treat like garbage, but now I realize that was still too high. However it feels like one of those comics that's more about the artwork than the story, I feel Andy had a lot of fun making some of the most ridiculous facial expressions, ranging from hilarious, to downright nightmarish(in an over-the-top, funny way)

But yeah, if it wasn't for Zecora and the artwork, This would be only a hair better than Rainbow's Micro, which I consider the worst of the worst of not only the comics, but all of G4. But the artwork and the use of Zecora made me feel that at least some effort and heart was put into it, so for now I'd say it's at best, marginally better than the Deer, but it's still a bottom tier comic.

You know, normally I'd be upset with this comic considering Rainbow is my favorite pony, but considering everything going against it, I just can't get feel anything. It's actually quite sad

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

how have you read this already?  my comic shop has it in, but says they aren't allowed to sell it until tomorrow.

It's availible on iTunes right now, where I usually get it

Well, I read the comic, and I'm surprised that it was Tank being brought to tears and crying after Rainbow yelled at him that broke the influence of the Drearies on all of the Mane Six as they came to comfort and console him while Rainbow was the most upset over having hurt her little pet buddy's feelings.

The looks on all their faces made it clear that this was not supposed to happen, and they were horrified at seeing Tank heartbroken over his owner taking her anger out on him. Once Rainbow made amends with him, it did not take long for Zecora to point out that even though the Drearies' influence over the Mane Six was broken thanks to Tank, Rainbow still had to patch things up with her friends first before moving on to Ponyville proper, along with everyone else who had been wronged because of her, including Celestia, Luna, and Shining Armor.

I am surprised that Cadence was the only one spared being affected with the rest of the Royal Family, but being that she's the Princess of Love, she might be immune to it, and it was the Mane Six's love for Tank that broke the Drearies' influence over them.

Not a bad comic for the latest issue, but I think it could have used some improvement in my opinion.

Howdy all!

I picked up the comic today and I liked it.

Never seen RD all grumpy before.

(Had that Grumpy Cat look it was funny)

Interesting story.

Glad there was more Zecora.

Cant wait for the next Issue next month (Featuring a certain Party Pony ;) )

How very disappointing.  I love the comics even more than that show, but this didn't appeal to me at all.

The story was pretty weak and predictable, but that could have been salvaged by Zecora narration...if it had been good.

But the rhyming is TERRIBLE.  Every other couplet was horrible if you actually tried to read it out loud.  they were awkward and weird.  lots of bad word choice.  some word combos just shouldn't be in poetry because they can't flow nicely.

And very poor syllable counts.  there were lots of lines that rambled on, or were unexpectedly short, because the expectation set by the first half of the couplet was not satisfied in the second part.  If the first half is 8 syllables, the second half shouldn't be 13!

Also, the "can't find the right rhyme" joke was good for ONE appearance.  doing it three times was way overplayed. 

I didn't even like the art.  

I've read every single comic and this has a STRONG case for my least favorite.  The loathsome linguistics had me seething by the end.  

• 3 months later...

I thought the comic was enjoyable for the most part, but I largely attribute that to Zecora herself, as well as Spike's timely interruptions. I won't say this comic was bad, but it was missing something overall. Of course though Andy Price's work shines through in both the most beautiful and hilarious ways.

So yeah; I'd say it's worth a read, just don't go in expecting a lot.

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2016 at 9:36 PM, This Whomps said:

I had my expectations practically at 0 considering it's Cook&Price doing a story on a character they normally treat like garbage, but now I realize that was still too high. However it feels like one of those comics that's more about the artwork than the story, I feel Andy had a lot of fun making some of the most ridiculous facial expressions, ranging from hilarious, to downright nightmarish(in an over-the-top, funny way)

But yeah, if it wasn't for Zecora and the artwork, This would be only a hair better than Rainbow's Micro, which I consider the worst of the worst of not only the comics, but all of G4. But the artwork and the use of Zecora made me feel that at least some effort and heart was put into it, so for now I'd say it's at best, marginally better than the Deer, but it's still a bottom tier comic.

You know, normally I'd be upset with this comic considering Rainbow is my favorite pony, but considering everything going against it, I just can't get feel anything. It's actually quite sad

I have no idea what kind of Speed I was on when I wrote this, but I reread the comic not to long ago, and it's honestly a damn fine comic

• 1 month later...

This one's not that good. Obviously it's style over substance since the story is as basic as you can get, but I don't think the style quite works. The panel layout isn't the problem. In fact, the panel layout is really great, not being too confusing while still being visually interesting. The problem is that a lot of the styles clash, especially when there are very different styles on the same page. It feels like Andy Price threw whatever he could think out on the comic with little thought about how they would fit together. That said, the art itself does look great. There are some fantastic facial expressions and when the styles feel more consistent, it's really good! If only that was the entire comic. I think the different style experimentation was done better in the issue just after this one.

Score: 5/10