Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Hasbro gave the rights of MLP to the fandom?

SticksLikeGlue

Season 6 would turn out fantastic.

6744.png

"I am Completely Original Character. You can call me COC, for short. Bask in the unparalleled splendor of COC. Let COC fill you with the warmth of friendship and love. I may appear to be larger than most ponies, but only COC will stand tall and firm in the face of adversity."

• Brohoof 2

Well, there are some fans who would do a god job of keeping the true spirit of the show, but overall, most fans would take it into inappropriate fanfiction territory.

So, yeah, it would be a bad idea.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, as much as I love the overall fandom of the show (yes, even now I still do like the fandom overall), that's one thing I would NOT want Hasbro to do.  Here's why.

The fandom at times (quite often as of late) gets very polarized, and I could see the show being consistently stuck in development hell, because areas of the fandom can't come to an agreement on which aspects of the episodes they want and which they don't.  They would argue and bicker and nothing would be done.

If the fandom (as a whole) were put in charge, it would be Little Nemo all over again.  Not recommended when the company already has a hit show.

What would be better is if one or two people from the fandom were put in charge of the show, and asked for fan input on what kinds of things they would like to see in the episodes, and then used maybe the 10 best suggestions to tweak aspects of the episodes.  Then we would have less bickering (it would still happen, but it wouldn't affect the overall progress of the show as drastically), and the show would still incorporate ideas from the fandom.

Well It would be good if the fandom had rights to make things that won't get C&D (ekhem.. button adventures ekhem..)

But it would be necessary for someone to lead the main canon like hasbro does

but then that someone would propably (unless bound_by_pinkie_promise_true_brony) get greedy and it would be worse than hasbro ...

While that'd be awesome in theory, everyone would argue about what should happen and ponies would cuss and the show wouldn't be the same.

Good thought though, I really like your creativity!

Edited by DerpyFIM4

That would destroy both the show and the fandom itself. The show would be changed to an animated version of a badly written fanfiction. The main problem is that the bronies would argue over evetything, and change everything in the show to where it doesn't make sense.

I like some of the fan works, but giving the rights would be a horrible idea.

• Brohoof 1

Imagine the Brony fandom is Iraq, and Hasbro is Saddam Hussein.

The country contains a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds, different religious sects and so on, and each of those groups has its' own moderate and extreme elements.  This volatile mix is held roughly in check by an iron fist, who, although not the most pleasant of leaders, manages to keep the whole place in some semblance of order.

Now take Saddam Hussein/Hasbro out of the equation.

We all know what happened next.

• Brohoof 2

Edgelord OCs?

Clop?

Uncharacteristically dark stories?

The dull blank slates known as background ponies thrust into the spotlight?

It would have none of the above as the fandom would dissolve into infighting and endless debates over who should be shipped with who till the show stagnates with no new episodes. The fighting still going decades later with none of the fanbase knowing what the hell they were even fighting about anymore.

• Brohoof 1

I'm unsure, because while the idea sounds nice in at first and I would like the the show to continue I think the fandom might take it too far. There are probably some that could do it well, but wouldn't want a huge staff.

I would like some more stuff for Background ponies, not episodes but just a tiny bit more interaction 

Edited by Bourbon Brisk

• 1 year later...

I think I know what the OP was actually getting at:
Having a specific team of fans, create centralized content, in the spirit of the original show, that would be a canonical continuation/extension of FiM.  In other words, a team of certain fans would be creating new pony after DHX/Hasbro Studios is no longer doing so.  Also, if there was an open idea send-in thing, then a team of head writers would review what was sent in and only allow it to be made if it fit the original theme of the show, and worked in the grander timeline.

(Which is a lot like what the project I'm heading is, that's linked in my sig [that's mostly how I understood what they actually meant])

personally I would see it as a disaster. There would be power struggles right off the bat over who covers what and fights over ownership of fan fave ponies. Not to mention copyright wars with people who hate eachother, the drama would just escalate. No one wnats to see that fallout really. I think id be driven away from the fandom entirely if it went in that direction. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...