Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is there no 13th floor in some hotels?

ILikeNightmares

Because people are superstitious idiots.

They have that in airplanes too. When you're given a ticket, you are assigned a seat where the rows are numbered and each seat therein given a letter. I remember that one time my seat was on the fourteenth row and I was looking around all confused as it appeared there were people in my seat. Upon closer examination, I realized there was no 13th row. A real eye-roll moment.

Skipping numbers aren't that much of a concern and some people are legitimately scared of certain numbers. There's also the reason that people said before: certain numbers suggest a negative connotation (especially in Asia where certain words are bound to match up with others phonetically) , not necessarily because of some superstition. Some Asians will be very offended if you put Row 4 in a plane.

So instead of seeing these as "stupid superstitions", you might want to take note that people can also be doing it for cultural respect relative to where planes or other sorts of transportation are flying towards.

People are generally horribly superstitious, which is why the 13th of anything is often omitted. I wonder what those people would do when they'd know that I turned 13 on Friday the 13th, am left-handed and own(ed) a black cat.

People are generally horribly superstitious, which is why the 13th of anything is often omitted. I wonder what those people would do when they'd know that I turned 13 on Friday the 13th, am left-handed and own(ed) a black cat.

Lol, although idk how being left handed would effect anything, but i can see them reacting to the other stuff.

Lol, although idk how being left handed would effect anything, but i can see them reacting to the other stuff.

They used to believe that being left handed was a sign of evil. The original meaning of 'sinister' is actually 'left'.

There are some people who say that 13 is unlucky. So the hotel doesn't want to take the chance of giving a room on the 13th floor to one of those people.

Either that, or just weird tradition.

Yes, some traditions don't see certain numbers well if it's used far too frequently (though most are pretty accepting if you're forced to use them anyway), so some hotels like to be more culturally sensitive to others based on where they're at. It's not really a big deal.

Also cultural sensitivity ≠ extreme political correctness.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

Superstition really, Japanese airlines and hotels don't have a 4th floor because 4 in Japanese which is "" (Shi) is the same word for death

Edited by HeavenSunset

Because if u get to the 13th floor the floor falls inwards and u land in hell. There the devil will greet u and give u a nice breakfast which then gives him the rights ur soul and u live in sin forever. Or something 

Because of bad luck and that stuff. I find stuff like this really interesting since its similar to what I said in my religion blog, people have to believe in things sometimes, being the floor thirteen one of those beliefs.

• 3 weeks later...

It's because of superstition that the number 13 is believed to be unlucky and some people may refuse to stay on that floor. I've stayed on the 13th floor in a hotel that had one and nothing bad happened, I'm not superstitious though.