Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you feel if they changed all the Mane 6's hairstyles?

CandyStrike

Wouldn't like it at all. Characters become recognizable by maintaining consistency in their design. Body build, eye shape, eye color, mane, and tail all matter. The second we see their hairstyles, we can identify the characters. Plus, corporate wants to produce products as cheaply as possible; consistency in their designs means they don't have to spend extra on production. Changing it is a bad change for removing the consistency that helped make their designs memorable and forcing Hasbro to unnecessarily increase their cost for production.

I wouldn't mind it as long as it's not something drastic

I kinda want Rainbow Dash with a ponytail to become a thing in the show  :adorkable:

400078__safe_solo_rainbow+dash_vector_ab

• Brohoof 5

Hairstyles are one of the things that distinguishes each pony in a significant way when each mare would be a carbon copy without color, hair or cutie marks. They are necessary or we wouldn't tell that Twilight is really Twilight for example.

• Brohoof 1

If the hair was the same color and the styles fit the characters, I'd LOVE it!

Actually kind of doing that myself with my NextGen universe. All the characters are a lot older.

People change their style throughout their lives after all.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 5

My thought would probably be "Hahaha, you and your jokes, show writers/Hasbro/whoever was responsible for the decision. You guys are so funny...oh wait, IT'S PERMANENT?! WHY WOULD YOU GUYS DO THAT?! That just makes no sense!"

That's what I would think.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see why it would hurt. Hair is such a superficial part of the body, and I think the color schemes of the character make them recognizable enough. My question is, why hasn't hasbro jumped on this opportunity to sell more toys.

I do think however that if they chabge their hair styles, why would it have to be permanently, they already changed it.

I saw fan art of Fluttershy with short hair and I rather loved it. Rarity could occasionally change her hair since she's the one most into fashion but I'd still prefer she keep it the same MOST of the time. Those are the only differences I really want to see.

I wouldn't mind it, as long as it isn't something too drastic. It could be an interesting way to shake things up a bit with their designs, and as long as the maintain the same color scheme they would still be recognizable.

Or they could maybe just change one characters manestyle up for a couple episodes, and then have it go back to normal.

Kinda like how they did with the Disney Princesses? :P

I don't think I'd like it very much, but I could probably get used to it. I've seem drastic changes in other franchises I like (*cough cough* Ninja Turtles *cough cough*), and I've survived, and even grown to like the new stuff. So... while it may take me a while to get used to it, I think it'd be okay over time. Ponies have a right to change their hair as much as we humans do, after all. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Like others have said, if they fit the personality, it's okay. Like the Twilight's bun in "Lesson Zero" for example, loved that made a sort of 'comeback' in Friendship Games for Sci-Twi, and if it were permanent, it would work... unsure how the tiara would factor in though.

Regardless of the permanence this topic alludes to, hairstyles in the show are quite cut and dry. It's something I wish the show would experiment with from time to time in episodes, sure we got that aforementioned bun, the 'Rarity hair' via 'hoop' wheel and Pinkie's 'straightened' look, all from the first two seasons, and outside of some gala style motifs, not much else comes to mind. If the series baseline toys are so based around 'customisation', sure the series could have at least given in to that? While the style itself is ephemeral in accordance with its episode, these characters have been involved in so many different things, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to change things up from time to time.

Just an observation.

I would actually like to see it happen.

If the characters are supposed to be getting more mature, I think that changing their hairstyles could be a great way to reflect that.

Plus sometimes, like what happened to avatar Korra, the design change can be even better than what she looked like before it happened.

Also I really liked how Twilight's mane looked during her coronation, and I wouldn't mind seeing it look like that again.

If Applejack's mane were to be changed than I would like it to be how it was in her crystal from, Rarity to have hers also in her crystal form's style, Fluttershy to have her second gala mane, Rainbow Dash to have her first gala mane, and for Pinkie Pie to have slightly longer hair.

Edited by cmarston1