Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you Consider Electronic Sports Competitors Athletes?

StudioUAC

contrary to popular belief, a large amount of the major esports players will tell you that fitness and health is actually the key to success even in video games competitions. While this might not make them an 'athlete', it does mean they require some of what athletes do. E-sports aren't as different as some people seem to think they are.

I wouldn't call them athletes myself, but then again I call all athletes 'competitors' anyway :D

• Brohoof 1

esports is not really a physical kind of sport (if you would call it that) they normally take a more a psychological way of progression. But physically you must be good at the game in order to be good at it like any other ORDINARY sport.

For example:

League of Legends

- How am I and my team going to attempt to take down the Nexus?

- Do I have any specific role?

- What do I do if I get ambushed?

And if a game that is going to be in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is a "sport" then its a sport.

Edited by Zach

You don't need to be a competitor to be an athlete. And considering that a lot of gamers you will find will be fat, I don't think you can call gaming competitors athletes. For the sake of argument:

1. You can't be a competitive runner without being an athlete
  2. You can be a competitive gamer with ease without being an athlete
  3. Therefore being a competitive gamer doesn't make you an athlete

Competitive gamers aren't athletes from the virtue of being competitive gamers. In English, my answer is no.

Edited by Socrates
  • Brohoof 1

This reminds me of a story I read where A Starcraft 2 player was issued a visa reserved for internationally known athletes that are coming to the US to compete or something like that.

I'm a little iffy about whether they would count as athletes and sports, depending on if you go by common thought of what a sport is, or perhaps classic and maybe strict definitions or if this is another case of language changing things up on us.

Edit: Boop, found the story about the visa

Edited by Mutemutt

• 4 years later...

Absolutely. You can sweat a lot by playing at a high level. And you get a lot of money too! If you manage to win or be good that is.

Not 'athletes', maybe, but I certainly think being good at e-sports requires a lot more skill than being good at darts. I really don't understand why that game's so big.