Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite National Anthem

Lithophila

This might be due to Michael Schumacher's domination of F1 over a decade ago, but considering how many times the German national anthem was played after the many races he won, I would have to go with that. Something about it sounds so grand. <3

• Brohoof 3

This might be due to Michael Schumacher's domination of F1 over a decade ago, but considering how many times the German national anthem was played after the many races he won, I would have to go with that. Something about it sounds so grand. <3

Schumacher, then Vettel, and now Mercedes. (with the occasional Vettel)  :P 

Sounds beautiful.

Oh, and 1998-2002, 2004-2008, and 2010-2015 at Le Mans too.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

Listened to a lot of National Anthems. So far, my two favorite are the Israeli and the Russian

Also love the Equestrian National Anthem :P 

The French followed by the Italian.

The Soviet one was good, too, and I like the Japanese. And the Romanian. The Greek one has great words.

Edited by Squiggle
  • Brohoof 1

I'm excluding the US National Anthem, because I live there, I'm biased!

Outside of that, I'd have to go with Mazurek Dąbrowskiego, the National Anthem of Poland.

It's even more impressive to hear at a national team sporting event:

Oddly enough I used to listen to the various national anthems of the world years ago, and some of them have stuck with me as personal favorites, really just based on tone and feeling alone rather than lyrics.

It's hard to choose a favorite simply because of how many I've heard and liked, so here's a list! In no particular order:

Barbados has a nice, cheery, regal sounding one.

The Netherlands Antilles also have a nice one. (Or had, at any rate, since their dissolution into separate islands in 2010. Also, I'm sensing a theme here with island nations having really nice national anthems.)

Albania. The country may be among the poorest in Europe, but their anthem is undeniably cool.

Belgium's "La Brabançonne". Played this one at high volume after Brussels last year.

Bosnia and Herzegovina. Still probably one of the prettiest anthems I've heard.

Cambodia's "Nokoreach". Also ranks among the prettiest.

Fiji. Again, really cheery island nation anthem, but also has that distinct feeling of pride that really gives this anthem emotion and power. The buildup is lovely. It was awesome to see the islanders' reactions when their country's athletes won gold medals at Rio!

Edited by ArDee

• 3 weeks later...

Het Wilhelmus, of course. I wouldn't be a true Dutchman if I didn't think my own anthem was the best one. That said, it is a tad too religious for my tastes, but since it's so old that was to be expected. I think I'm one of the few people nowadays who actually knows the first and sixth verses of it, and why the sixth is often used alongside the first rather than the second. (The sixth one was popular in WW2 and it became customary to know it.)

Plus, the first letter of each verse spells out the name of William of Orange, which is kind of cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the anthem of the USSR (also the current one as well) because it's so powerful.

I'm also partial towards the Star-Spangled Banner because it's the anthem of my country (the only time I don't like it is when the singer screws it up)

• 1 year later...