Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you fall asleep whilst doing something else?

Member Berry

As in watching TV, reading, listening to something etc. Lately I've been listening to a lot of guided meditations on youtube to help me sleep/calm my anxiety (this channel's pretty good) and they help me fall asleep a lot quicker. I keep reading comments of people saying they've fallen asleep half way through the recordings. I honestly cannot do that.

Most people I know can fall asleep reading, watching TV etc. I've never been able to that, not even as a kid. It doesn't matter how tired I am at all.

I suppose it's good in a sense as I know I will never fall asleep driving or whatever.

• Brohoof 1

I have real problems sleeping in general, any form of activity keeps me awake, oddly enough though, I have fallen to sleep in the shower several times :P

• Brohoof 2

I was in this one really boring lecture once. The rule was, if you're falling asleep, you have to take notes. So, I started taking notes.

About an hour later I woke up, and my notebook was filled with notes. I must say, my handwriting while I'm asleep is actually better than my handwriting while I'm awake...

• Brohoof 1

I fall asleep riding on the subway all the time. Never been mugged!....yet.

My wife needs to TV to fall asleep, and I can't fall asleep with it playing. 

I fell asleep while driving once...just a nod off for half a second, and THAT was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. 

• Brohoof 1

I can easily fall asleep watching TV simply because watching TV in my room properly and comfortably requires me to be in my bed. Yet at the same time, sometimes I can't sleep without my TV on.

When I used to watch TV A bunch when I was younger, I used to go on marathons, watching TV then I would eventually fall asleep while doing so. So then I would take a nap for about an hour. I also sometimes fell asleep while playing some games, but that doesn't seem to happen now. 

Though I often have trouble getting to sleep when I want to, I have nodded off while watching TV, and I've just about dropped a book out of my hands while reading.  My cousin repeatedly fell asleep with a Gamecube controller in his hands while playing Phantasy Star.  My aunt once fell asleep sitting in front of an open fridge with a bowl of mashed potatoes in her lap; one of the more amusing things she's done while intoxicated.

Me being a hardcore gamer, I've fallen asleep while gaming on many occasions

My most recent occasion was passing out while turning gravel into flint in minecraft

Another time I fell asleep while farming money in fable 3's multiplayer

Depends on how tired I am or if I'm even able to fall asleep. If I'm uber tired I could be in the middle of something, say a game or reading a book or viewing a show/movie, and suddenly without warning; *DING-DING*! Cracked over the back of the head and rendered out cold and appearently in a coma. 

Yep, but the action needs to be something that involves inactivity. For instance, watching TV or a live stream. Sometimes I just kind of drift from an active state to an inactive one when I'm tired enough and just sort of fade for a power nap. I know when this is happening though, so I make sure to get to safety before I konk out.

Hmm, I can fall asleep while listening to a podcast or an audio book. (Welcome to Night Vale is particularly calming for me) But I can't if I have to look at something like a TV or a computer screen. I also can't fall asleep with music.

Edited by PerplexedPancake