Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Bored Programmer

MidnightMadness1

I want to be a programmer when I leave my college (English college for all the Americans out there) but I need Ideas and I need work to put together some projects to help with my portfolio.

I have learned HTML, Javascript, Css and visual basic as well as trying to start learning C#.

So I need a challenge and hopefully this challenge can help me get a job or something so fire away!

• Brohoof 1

make a basic game or something? just something that show cases you can make a program with a fully working UI, that the game does everything in the order you programmed it to and use it to showcase you know your way around bug fixing a problem. :)

Not exactly a suggestion on what to program but i can suggest that if you want to be more employable, learn C++ and Java. Also C# with the .net framework.

In my local area the jobs i can take range from £18k-£80k, the highest paid being work for a company that makes software for the military in C++.

Personally i hate C++, C# is my favorite programming language, Java is nice too its very similar to C# so knowing one will help you learn the basics of the other.

• Brohoof 1

It's so annoying that in our GCSE course they're forcing us to SOLELY use Python. Py and nothing else. At home I've learned some HTML here and some VB there but I feel in a computing course they should have taught us a more widely used language.

It's so annoying that in our GCSE course they're forcing us to SOLELY use Python. Py and nothing else. At home I've learned some HTML here and some VB there but I feel in a computing course they should have taught us a more widely used language.

Python is rather widely used and not taught too frequently which means, from my quick search, the average salary seems to be around £40-£80k

• 3 years later...

Game developers actually make less than their counterparts in the business world. Most game software developers don't last too long in the game industry so be careful if that's what you're after.

I've seen HTML and CSS mentioned a few times. Those are not programming languages in any sense of the phrase. HTML is just markup like XML, and CSS is properties and selectors, albeit... you know, complicated at times.

For me, gonna be 10/10 this week. Diving into Perl, which I've never written before. Gonna be a barrel of fun I'm sure.