Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you struggle with mental illness?

PinkieatHeart

I suffered a traumatic brain injury when I was run over by a big rig (I mean, there was more than just the TBI, but that's the only injury relevant to the discussion), I've been bipolar most of my life, and tossing chronic pain, severe memory loss, nerve damage, and PTSD on top can be a challenge, sure. Having studied psychology prior to studying history, the logical side of my brain knows what's going on and why- but that doesn't mean I don't get flashbacks or obsessively fidget with my spinner ring or get the occasional lance of searing agony that wipes out my memory of the last few minutes. It is what it is, and a lot of is things that are physiologically impossible to fix. Dead nerves in my hands and legs aren't going to magically grow back, for example.

So it boils down to knowing what I can, and cannot, control. I can control the bipolar somewhat by simply knowing it's coming- being comfortable in your own skin to the point where you realize something is happening and can take steps to mitigate it. A manic phase is coming? Ok, buy some mulch and pavers and when it hits, we can burn off the excesses doing yardwork. Bam. depressive phase is coming, head it off with comedy movies and ice cream, or going to the museum. I can control these things. I can control dishes, laundry, yard stuff, that kind of thing. I can tweak my environment to minimize the chances of flashbacks or episodes, I can adjust my living conditions to reduce the intensity of the chronic pain. Those are all things that can be controlled to a degree, so that's what I do.

Depression is a seriously insidious condition- it's like sticking your head neck deep in a hole in the ground. All YOU see is the hole just this dirty, blackness that feels like it has you completely engulfed. But it doesn't. There's more out there than that, so much more, and getting your head out of that hole takes a LOT of effort. It feels like there's no point to it, it feels like nobody could possibly get it or get YOU, it feels like you are completely and utterly alone. You're not. Not ever.

I don't have any answers. I don't even have the questions to get to the answers. All I know is that mental illness is only a death sentence if you choose it to be.

I guess (if it counts) I'd say I've struggled with suicidal thoughts for a long while, constantly feeling like everyone in my life would be better off with me dead.

Major Depressive. It's hard to keep under control because my anxiety-filled brain can manage to put the worst situation out there for me. It's very hard to forgive past transgressions and even harder to forget them. It's currently impossible to "move on". I have to see something I have a passion for through. Get bad intrusive thoughts and vivid memories of some things I don't think I want to talk about..

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if I have any form of mental disorder mainly because I never ask for or seek help although something feels wrong there have been situations which could be linked to a mental disorder 

• 4 months later...

I've been *officially* diagnosed with Anxiety, Depression and Psychosis.  Most of which I'm getting proper treatment for, just need to get a therapist at some point too.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder a few years ago. It was really hard in the beginning—I couldn’t go out in public at all unless I wanted to have a panic attack. I still struggle with it and have anxiety attacks from time to time, but for the most part I’m doing okay. Music really helps me, and journaling. Just getting my thoughts down on paper, sorting out my emotions, figuring out what I’m scared of and why has made a surprisingly big difference.

I also think I have borderline personality disorder, although I haven’t been formally diagnosed. I’m planning to bring it up with my therapist and see what she thinks.

Not so much anymore. Back in high school I got diagnosed with major depressive disorder due to circumstances I don't particularly enjoy discussing, but thankfully I managed to get over the worst of that within a year. I still have anxiety, though it's not bad enough to where I need medication. It's mostly just social anxiety, which is tolerable once I got used to it.

I used to have major problems with depression and anxiety. I was hurting myself and I saw a number of therapists and tried a few different medications before I began to improve. I just take meds now and I haven't had major problems for several months, but I'm always worried I'll be kicked down by it again.

Yes, I struggle with anxiety and off and on depression. I also have very low motivation for things I don't really care about.

Autism and social anxiety don't mix well, ever. I mean, it's a combination that scares off everything, even my own kitchen sink.

I'm not kidding! My sink grew legs and ran off! :lostit:

6 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

None that I know of. 

C-can we trade l-lives...? I know I'd be putting the burden on you but I am so friggin jealous as well, lol

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

Autism and social anxiety don't mix well, ever. I mean, it's a combination that scares off everything, even my own kitchen sink.

I'm not kidding! My sink grew legs and ran off! :lostit:

C-can we trade l-lives...? I know I'd be putting the burden on you but I am so friggin jealous as well, lol

Only you can make smirk by using a cheesy pun in a serious topic. I'll give you that. :-D

• Brohoof 1

I have ADHD, Autism and OCD. I can cope fine, but there are point where I have to jump over a ton of hurdles.

Edited by Cash_In

• 8 months later...

I have anxiety, nothing crazy but enough for me to notice it. I also have undiagnosed depression. I know the cause though. Rather not go into specifics here. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

I have issues with anxiety (mine isn't your run of the mill anxiety. It's much worse), I also have an issue with depression as well. Neither are diagnosed, but I'm positive on the self-diagnosis, and you probably would be too if you knew me in real life. Like actually knew me, not like know me for just being the occasionally appearing background character that interacts with pretty much nobody (though that has plenty to do with my anxiety which is particularly crippling in social situations).

I also am quite sure that I have undiagnosed autism. Like 99% sure.

Edited by Aangel Dust