Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you struggle with mental illness?

PinkieatHeart

Major depressive episodes with periods of mania (in diagnosis process for bipolar disorder), panic disorders accompanied by self harm (just got stitches on my face yesterday), gender dysphoria, anorexia nervosa.

I'm going to get checked for autism m, adhd and some other shit later next month.

This is all very much of a problem as I can't go to school, and spend most of my time in emergency rooms and mental wards. I can be fine and then suddenly I have extreme suicidal impulses that I can in no way control (randomly threw myself down a flight of stairs earlier this week which I guess was more as an act of self harm but still) which makes socializing difficult. My anorexia is better though (weight restored) so that's something.

I'm not trying to flaunt about it or whatever just venting sort of.

Edited by Elysia
  • Brohoof 2

Yes

I have Borderline Personality Disorder(Recently diagnosed with this.Before they thought I was Bipolar. I have depression and anxiety issues along with that) and I have ADHD.

Edited by MEOWKB48
  • Brohoof 1

I struggle very much with depression and anxiety.  Right now, I'm feeling good though.

I think it is important to remember to take time for ourselves.  Self care is important, and that can often get left undone when we're struggling. So don't feel bad if you take that nap or need some pills. 

• Brohoof 2

I think it is important to remember to take time for ourselves. Self care is important, and that can often get left undone when we're struggling. So don't feel bad if you take that nap or need some pills.

Absolutely agree. Take my brohoof. ^_^

I have mild Aspergus and also social anxiety.

Actually...lately I've been noticing that it hasn't really been as bad as it used to be, since I've now spent about half a year getting homeschooled instead of actually going to school. 

Nowadays I barely even see people in real life except for my family...come to think of it.....I barely come out of my room these days .-.

So when I go out to places which is extremely rare these days I don't think I get that anxious anymore. Mainly because I've spent alot of time thinking about myself, worrying about myself, that I've come to love who I actually am instead of trying to act out somebody else who would more likely to be accepted by people.

But yea in the past I definitely struggled, especially going out to public places.

Edited by Rawzy
  • Brohoof 1

Autism.

Technically, it's Persuasive Development Disorder, or the "Other" category on the Autistic Spectrum.

I am somehow a little high-functioning, and even though there are some problems I have because of Autism, there aren't many. Some, when you read this for the first time, may think "Huh, I didn't think that at all."

So yeah.

Nowadays I barely even see people in real life except for my family...come to think of it.....I barely come out of my room these days .-.

Well that sounds a lot like me! :)

Yes, I do struggle with mental illness. About 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with panic disorder, major depressive disorder, seasonal affective disorder, insomnia, and borderline personality disorder.

I struggle very much with depression and anxiety.  Right now, I'm feeling good though.

I think it is important to remember to take time for ourselves.  Self care is important, and that can often get left undone when we're struggling. So don't feel bad if you take that nap or need some pills. 

This so much

With how busy I've been with work during the day I end up with little time to do anything for myself in the evenings.(Since I'm very tired afterwards I come home,eat,do chores then go to bed.) Just by doing this for the past month I've noticed my depression and anxiety have gotten worse.It's even affected me at work since I just haven't been getting as much done as I used too. I've neglected any fun and enjoyment from my life for the past month. So now I've been making sure I at least do something for me daily. Whether it would be reading for a few minutes or even watching tv.

Severe dyspraxia, autism and ADHD.

I am also worried about possible depression. I seem to be showing quite a lot of signs since the passing of a close friend of mine.

Even so, I believe things will probably get better sometime in the future.

Edited by Everleaf

Social Anxiety, Depression (forget how bad), and possibly OCD(?). I've taken medication for three years and thing's have gotten better, but I still get a spell of the anxiety and depression now and then. I've had depression and anxiety since 6th grade and I'm in 11th now, but it's genetics so I can't really do anything about it.

To everyone that is suffering or having troubles, just seek out help or go to a close friend! It always help to have someone. :3

• Brohoof 1

I had a serious case of anxiety in high school. It's a lot better now, but I'm still pretty sensitive to things that could cause it, and it's an effort to block it out. My propensity for anxiety also causes me to get stressed pretty easily.

Edited by Quartzy
  • Brohoof 1

I've never been to a "shrink" so I've never been officially diagnosed with anything. I know that I've got chronic depression that gets pretty bad sometimes and social anxiety as well. There is also something else underlying I think, some form of mild autism maybe, I don't know. I do know I've always been a bit of an odd duck.

As far as how to cope with it. The best I can say is to learn to live with it and to take solace in the fact that the bad days will eventually pass. Basically, I white knuckle through the hard times and try to enjoy the good days when they come.   

When I was a young child I was diagnosed with A.D.D and A.D.H.D. Fortunately I've been able to control my ADHD as time goes on, I sometimes get spurts of it but I'm usually able to calm myself down fairly quickly. As I child I struggled with it and caused me to either get in trouble at school or be socially awkward, but it did work to my advantage at times because I was the class clown.

My ADD is another matter, even at the age of 22 I'm still having a lot of problems. I have a lot of difficulty focusing on things, especially if it doesn't interest me like school for example. I find  myself in mid-conversation drifting off as well. I also have a very hard time coming up with the right words during conversations. I can think clear as day, but I have difficulty actually saying it. I absolutely hate it. It has made me miserable in terms of my social life. When I'm saying "ummmmm", or "uhhhhh", or "what's it called...." during mid-sentence, I'm very embarrassed. I believe it also hurts my critical thinking as well.

But for the life of me, I refuse to take pills that could help me. I just don't like the idea of being on a crutch, having this drug to support me so that I can function properly. It bothers me to even think about that. I can understand some people thinking that line of reasoning is a little unreasonable, but that's just how I feel.

I also believe I have a mild case of anxiety as well.

It feels nice to know that us Bronies support each other though. I have a hard time talking about things like this.

• Brohoof 1

I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD. Basically, I have a hard time paying attention to things. Unfortunately, my attention gets lost when IMPORTANT things are told to me, but when it comes to the dumbest things, I remember every little freaking detail. I find it kind of sad, honestly. :(

I had ADHD my entire childhood, but now I am much calmer as an adult. However, if not caring or being afraid of dying tomorrow by cancer or being ran over by a truck is considered a mental illness, then I could say that I am not even struggling with that one bit. x3

Yup, yup. I have GAD and a panic disorder. Sometimes I go through depression stages. I take two medicines for my anxiety/depression right now. I also take a sleeping pill for insomnia. I also take another medicine. 

Meds help a lot because when I do not take them I have a panic attack. :(

• Brohoof 1

I have anxiety, depressive episodes, and struggle with adhd and spatial awareness in school. I also have problems with pain management and nervous stomach. I'm doing so well these days thanks to medication and taking care of my body. Adhd is hard to manage, it takes time and dedication.

Yeah, I do, though it's not really "suffering". More like Accepting, honestly.

Anyway, I have Asbergers. Found out about 3 years ago, though really, it hasn't really done much to change me mentally. Perhaps strengthen my mental wards and acceptance? Eh, dunno. What I do know, though, is that I would undoubtedly have either turned insane or, uh... *cough*, due to the stress I've been subjected to for most of my life. I've had to keep together my parents for years, since one has much worse mental problems than me, and the other has been subjected to the same stress for much longer. Really, I'm glad I have this mental illness. It's just really made me handle stress and frustration a lot better than most(That I know), and considering that even with that, I still "blow up" at times. Honestly? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here without my mental illnesses, as dark as that sounds.

Of course, Asbergers isn't the only one, but I can't bother to remember more.

Hoo boy do I. I kinda don't like talking about it but I feel like this information might help someone.

Like I have 'moderate' (doctor's words) OCD, which has been bad enough that I was hospitalized twice last year. 

Then I have pretty bad anxiety and depression, which got me hospitalized once. 

THEN I have ADHD, that really sucks and makes anything academic for me really hard, which makes my anxiety worse, so it's like a cycle. 

I cope by listening to music, and talking to my friends. Like honestly your depression will get so much better if you just talk to someone about it when it happens. I also do a bunch of art which helps A LOT. Then there's like exercise and physical activity which is great too. 

Anyway, yeah, my heads a fun place.

Also if anyone needs to talk, you can PM me or skype me or something. I've been to a bunch of pros and know a lil bit about this kinda stuff.

Edited by rdgoesfast

I'm autistic aka I have Aspergers . I have depression. , anxiety , and ocd. I struggle with my life problems at times and get very disturbing Intrusivve thoughts . I can't always define what's got me down but I have been doing more things I enjoy . I think what I would say to anyone with struggles or suffering in silence , get help . I mean it. Wherever talking to tutor friends , family , clergy , therapist , or Doctor, it's nothing to be ashamed of and admitting you have struggles is the first step to getting better . Life is full of ugly and beautiful things . Remember the ugly but embrace the beauty . That's my advice