Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do women hold their hands over their mouth

cider float

Why do women hold their hand over their mouth when they're surprised, embarrassed or about to cry? I guess I can understand crying maybe they're trying to plug it up by holding it over their mouth but not sure why being surprised (especially this one) or being embarrassed elicits this response. It's not like they're coughing or sneezing. This gesture seems to be very universal, it's not one particular woman that does this lots of women do this.

I do that. xD  It's not an exclusively female trait or response.  I think I do it for the same reason I cover my mouth when I yawn in public: It's kind of odd to reveal the interior of your mouth, of a sudden, to others.  Or I'm automatically obscuring the physical reaction I had.  Or I haven't the slightest damned idea as to why I do it, but I'm still confident that being a woman isn't a prerequisite.

• Brohoof 3

Definitely not something that has anything to do with the show, or even MLP at all, So off it goes to the Everfree Forest! :)

• Brohoof 2

Well it's certainly not a female exclusive thing.

But the idea is that standing there with your mouth agape is undignified or bad manners.

It's why a lot of people cover their mouths when they yawn too.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

I do this when I feel concerned or in a state of intense thought, seems to happen subconsciously. Can't say for certain why the female population is prone to doing this more and for more reasons, another one of those human mysteries I suppose. 

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps relating to a past history of women being told not to express their opinions openly. Even now, women who speak their minds unapologetically are more likely to be looked down upon than men who do so. A "may I be so bold" sort of thing relating to their own surprise.

Here's the truth. 

Women are actually not surprised by anything at all. What surprises men, bores them. So they're actually yawning. But the surprise boredom happens so fast. So does the yawn. Hence why it's often mistaken as a gasp. So, as not to appear uncouth, ladies cover their mouths. 

Make sense?

• Brohoof 3

Here's the truth. 

Women are actually not surprised by anything at all. What surprises men, bores them. So they're actually yawning. But the surprise boredom happens so fast. So does the yawn. Hence why it's often mistaken as a gasp. So, as not to appear uncouth, ladies cover their mouths. 

Make sense?

giphy.gif

I lol'd... Bravo my friend... XD

• Brohoof 2

I've actually been studying this in sociology and women apparently do that, within Western cultures, at least. It is pretty rooted in the culture to do that, no way to explain it except saying "that's just how things are". 

Fascinating subject

• Brohoof 1

For the most part it seems like it's just a way to attempt to hide emotional responses that have the tendency to make ugly facial expressions, but there is more to it than that. When most people are genuinely surprised about something meaningful to them they're often moved to tears. This is why most people burst into tears when they meet their favorite celebrities. We live in a society that looks down upon openly expressing yourself and showing emotion and as a result many people instinctively try to hide their emotions when they're becoming emotional. Quite often people will try to cover their face and/or apologize.

Why do women do this more than men?

As young boys most men are taught to be tough and that showing emotion is weak. Men do have big emotional responses, but they do it less because men generally aren't as openly emotional as women so these occurrences happen less with men than women and it's primarily due to the difference between how boys and girls are raised. I am speaking in broad terms here that in no way apply to everyone, but hopefully this helps answer your question.

Edited by Nari

Hmm....how to put this....

Maybe it's me, but I've noticed that generally speaking (and it may not be a big majority), females seem to be more expressive with their emotions.  That's not to say more emotional, necessarily, but just more expressive.  Perhaps this is just another example of unfair double standards?  You know, as in men aren't suppose to have feelings?  I actually wish I could be more expressive with my emotions, because I think it's a rather pretty thing, and I think it makes you more approachable when people can tell how you're feeling.  People don't really like to approach a mysterious, gray stone wall that is utterly blank.  That's me.  My emotions don't register on my face very much.  I look rather cold all the time.  And I don't make any sort of gestures either.  In fact, it has always been befuddling to me why anyone makes any sort of gestures or explicit expressions when surprises or scared or that sort of thing.  Why widen your eyes?  It doesn't make you see any better, really.  Why raise your eyebrows?  Doesn't seem to serve any purpose.  And gasping, what kind of strange thing is that?  Why purpose does inhaling sharply serve?  I couldn't gasp when surprised if I wanted to.  It just doesn't happen.  But I don't really want to be that way.  I want to be more expressive, but I'm not, and it's not something that can be forced.

• Brohoof 1

Guys don't typically do that? I never noticed... When I think about it I most certainly do it, and I can't really tell you why.. Must have been learned? lol

Do you think it's odd? Well, I can just say perhaps when a majority of women do it it's to show a little more self control over expressions and particularly emotional situations like anger, disgust, or frustration- Holding your mouth actually helps keep you in check pretty effectively. It certainly works for me.