Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Stereotypes about Bronies that you disprove?

joshuachasseur

I actually exercise and lift weights. AND I'm not a rich yuppie salesman.

Though the latter isn't really one of our stereotypes, it's often assumed to go hand-in-hand with the former,

so it's a combo stereotype-breaker.

Edited by Trinitron Keys

Sadly, I am one that falls under some of these stereotypes. I am autistic, I do spend a bunch of time on the internet, I have little to no social life offline, that sort of stuff. However, do I break any stereotypes? Uhhh....I guess I don't spend a ton of time watching pony stuff. If that is one. I have seen some mention before that bronies constantly watch the show and stuff related to it, and that isn't the case with me. That's probably not very unique though. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't see why people think most of us are, well, what you said. I rarely see a really creepy brony who acts weirdly...

And I think we all have a life, whether you realise people care for you or not.

Sadly, I am one that falls under some of these stereotypes. I am autistic, I do spend a bunch of time on the internet, I have little to no social life offline, that sort of stuff. However, do I break any stereotypes?

Cheer up, I don't think you are one of those stereotypes, I mean a lot of people spend time on the Internet and being autistic doesn't mean people can see you as one of those stereotypes. :)

• Brohoof 2

Sadly, I am one that falls under some of these stereotypes. I am autistic, I do spend a bunch of time on the internet, I have little to no social life offline, that sort of stuff. However, do I break any stereotypes? Uhhh....I guess I don't spend a ton of time watching pony stuff. If that is one. I have seen some mention before that bronies constantly watch the show and stuff related to it, and that isn't the case with me. That's probably not very unique though. 

Like the other person said cheer up. That doesn't mean you fall in the stereotypes. There's nothing wrong with you at all 

• Brohoof 3

1. I am a female.

I am not overweight.

I do not look at erotic art of the characters.

I have a social life.

I do not have autism or aspergers.

I know many people think of Bronies as like these geeky creep who just spend their time on the internet and have no lives but we all know that is not the case. How do you disprove these stereotypes?

Actually, that's a rather apt description of me.

But since we're talking about disproving brony stereotypes, I'll just say that I'm not a fat, neckbearded, fedora-wearing, pedophile who clops to ponies all day long.

I'm a female, unlike most bronies. I also see a lot of people who assume bronies are overweight and don't exercise, which is the opposite of me. I'm barely 100 pounds and I exercise frequently. I'm in my mid-teens, which is younger than a lot of people I see around here.

I also rarely talk about the show until I trust someone. And when I do feel comfortable about it, I don't bombard them with ponies.

I actually fall under some stereotypes. I have ponies almost everywhere in my room, mainly because they cheer me up after having a bad day, which is an awful lot. I also watch the show an awful lot and most of the music I listen to is pony related.

The fact that all the sterotypes have a little truth but that they tend to be unfair hasty generalizations. I dislike all of them.

Despite not having a very active social life currently every other sterotype I just break. I'd say most bronies break the sterotypes one way or another

Edited by alpinefroggy

I work out by running and lifting and I did shoot a dollar in half from 300 yards away but it did take three shots and there was no wind and it was in daylight. But I always have a Dashie brushable when I shoot, she is my spotter.  :wub: So I guess in some ways I break them but I also confirm them?

• Brohoof 1

I fall under the "Antisocial nerd" Brony stereotype, but I do break a few. For example, I am a female that isn't 5 years old and is interactive within the fandom. I do not suffer from any mental illnesses, and I don't watch mlp as a joke.

I fall under the "Antisocial nerd" Brony stereotype, but I do break a few. For example, I am a female that isn't 5 years old and is interactive within the fandom. I do not suffer from any mental illnesses, and I don't watch mlp as a joke.

If a 5 year old managed to sign up to a forum, I...

I want to say I'm impressed, but IMVU shows how anyone can sign up to a site.

Well, I'm am aspie who isn't very athletic and I spend much of my free time on the Internet. However, I weigh about 150, I have a fairly active social life and I'm close to getting a BA in Sociology. I'm also fairly involved with my church. I don't wear pony merch or talk about ponies with anyone but my closest friends and my girlfriend. Oh, right, I have one of those. I dislike stereotypes because everyone is an individual. However, I also think stuff like the College Humor vids are more satirical. The way the stereotypes are played up to the extreme in those vids leads me to believe that they don't actually think Bronies are really like that. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

It is true that some brony stereotypes may in fact have some truth to them. However they are often exaggerated, only imply to some or are made out to be a bad thing. For example A large amount of the fandom do in fact have autism (including myself) is this a bad thing? No, not at all. Satoshi Tajiri, best known for the creation of Pokémon had autism. Even people like Elbert Einstein also had autism. In this case what is so bad about "autism anyway"

Bronies spend most of their life on the PC: I guess this has more to do with the person you are referring to rather than a fandom, I also tend to fall into this category,  I guess I'm just more of a introverted person. But that's me, not every brony out there. Besides it's not exactly a bad thing anyway. It all comes down to preference.

Generally many stereotypes, are unreasonable and exaggerated.  

Edited by Everleaf

Stereotypes usually originate from the loud minority of any group and most people will cling to the negative aspects of anything they disagree with or do not understand. This primarily stems from the fact that most people have a negative view of the world and they choose to jump to the worst conclusions.

This is only made worse by the fact that stereotypes are deeply rooted in truth. There are people within the fandom who fit these negative stereotypes and those on the outside use these people as the defining example of what this fandom (or any fandom) is all about and it only confirms their fears when outsiders encounter one of these individuals who may poorly represent the Brony community.

Edited by Nari

*Topic that supposedly focuses on disproving Brony stereotypes inevitably leads to further emphasis being put on Brony stereotypes.*

I disprove Brony stereotypes by not being a Brony.  I'd rather be called a geek, a neck-beard, a c-word-er, gay, and several other things over being labeled a Brony.  Whether they'd accurately describe me or not, there isn't anything particularly insulting about any of those.

Though, admittedly, I don't wear a fedora trilby.  Those weird little hats you see people wearing and going, "How d'ya like my fedora? #fedora4life"  More often than not, they're wearing a trilby.  I used to have a panama hat (the nearest I ever came to either fedora or trilby), and I used to wear it.  But that was years before all of this Brony business.

• Brohoof 1

I do fall under a few, but I also break a lot

I am the opposite of overweight as I should probably gain a few pounds but i'm happy with my weight

I don't have Autism, Asperger syndrome, or any other mental issue

I don't clop or draw R34 art, it's disgusting 

I'm not a pedophile, I don't even get why people associate enjoying a cartoon show with being one

I identify as straight, you can enjoy a cartoon show for girls without being gay!

And I do listen to things other than MLP remixes and other brony music, in fact I listen to a lot of 70's and 80's Metal or Progressive rock, I even got my Metallica's Master of Puppets T-Shirt on as I make this post, on occasion will I listen to brony related music, whether it be a pure MLP song, a remix of a song, or a pure brony song.

I regrettably do fall under:

Having little social life

And an unhealthy amount of time on the internet

Overall people are just look to much at the loud minority and too quick to judge for their own good, there are freaks in every fandom!

Edited by Treeclimbyou

I disprove stereotypes by just being myself. Not one person in our world is a stereotype. I refuse to listen to or respect anyone who sucks up to them. It's absolute bigotry to believe, pander, and enforce stereotypes. Rather than running away from stereotypes, speak out against them.

It is true that some brony stereotypes may in fact have some truth to them.

This is only made worse by the fact that stereotypes are deeply rooted in truth.

Stereotypes are a simplified, generalized, falsified version of someone or something. There's no such thing as a truthful stereotype. To say they're rooted in any level of truth is to say an oxymoron and believe a lie.

There's no such thing as a truthful stereotype. To say they're rooted in any level of truth is to say an oxymoron and believe a lie.

Stereotypes really are deeply rooted in truth and they do define the people they apply to very well, but the stereotype itself may not define everyone in a particular group. That's the problem. The stereotype that only applies to some in a group is usually used to falsely define the entire group.

In the media the Brony fandom has been falsely represented with stereotypes like cloppers for example and the false belief that all male Bronies are clippers has been broadcast to the world. That's just how Bronies are falsely portrayed in the media because the media doesn't care about the truth. They just want to produce a story that will get a lot of attention.