Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mlp: rainbow Bridge?

ManaMinori

While all of the Mane 6 themselves are from past generations of MLP (1 and 3), along with Spike, the (ugh) Breezies, and some background/ side characters, themselves are (Cherilee, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo), and even villain Tirek, could Hasbro slip even more past characters into Gen 4, and if so, who? Would they drop the past gen characters directly in a G4 episode or two? A movie? Some direct to DVD episode shorts (maybe 11 minutes long, or a full 30 minutes) and label them as the "lost episodes of G4" or something?

Personally, here's what I'd want to see brought into g4:

From G3: Toola Roola, Whimsey Weatherbe (possibly being related to Spike), Starcatcher

From G2: Glow n' Show Ponies (seriously, we know literally nothing about them, and they get only about 30 seconds of screen time in one episode, and they never show up again)

From G1: Shady, Firefly, Twinkle-eye ponies, Flutter ponies, Pluma the Penma, and the rest of the other Penma, Surprise, the re-return of Tambelon (and Grogar)

• Brohoof 2

I am not sure how to go into details, but a great deal is fairly obsure with legalitys and trademarks and such. I will quote someone who has everything fairly coherent in their explanation (so I don't need to repeat stuff)

"Well, Hasbro actually did lose the rights to the TV show to Disney of all companies when Disney bought out marvel productions. That's how My Little Pony Tales came to be as it was a Disney venture, not a Hasbro venture. The rights have actually changed hands a few times over the past twenty years.

However, Hasbro currently owns full rights to the G1 television show and all the content within. In 2008, Hasbro bought back their 80's shows and every news release I've seen on it specifically mentions My Little Pony. However, they've done nothing with it. While the original Transformers and G.I. Joe have both been released on DVD since then and air on the Hub, the original My Little Pony has not.

As for the characters, my guess is they did not want to go through the process of registering all the trademarks over again at once. It would be very long, very involved, and very expensive. They might have also not seen the point of bringing back old characters for a new continuity. Would the show have been better if Rarity had been called Glory? Fans might say yes, but Hasbro execs wouldn't see the point.

Then there's the theory that someone in Hasbro media just has it out for My Little Pony. That's why Friendship is magic on in the early afternoon on weekdays (and was randomly moved to a half hour early with no fanfare) and put against shows like Pokemon on the weekends.

I guess you can say it's complicated and we don't know the whole picture."

-Al1701 from http://mlplexicon.proboards.com/thread/484

also here is some more info as to why...

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?topic=302.0

There are characters they have and will use, but it's fairly obscure what they can and cannot use in the future....

• Brohoof 1

They went to Star Trek and stole Q.  Then they went into Dragon Ball Z to turn Vegeta into a bug-fairy breezie (which in itself was an earlier generation reference).  I don't see any reason not to beyond the aforementioned copyright issues.  Let's be honest, the current version ponies are way different than their original counterparts for the most part as is the show.  Stealing something if done right is just fine considering what they've already shown themselves willing to borrow.

• Brohoof 2

From G1: Reeka and Draggle, and I guess Hydiam except as ponies or some other creature, of course, since humans don't exist in FiM. I guess there were the Dazzlings in Rainbow Rocks, but Sonata Dusk is the only idiot of the group, and Aria Blaze is the sheet of sandpaper she plays off of. Reeka and Draggle are both great IMHO. Somnambula would probably make for an even better returning villain from G1, so maybe I'll add her to my list. As for main characters, I would like to see Wind Whistler, Gusty and maybe even Paradise return.

Pony Tales characters are a little more difficult for me, because I wasn't really invested in any one character, and don't think the show is very good at balancing its cast of seven(I don't think there ever was a proper Starlight episode). Clover as the unlucky clutz is my favorite though, so maybe she could make a comeback, or perhaps the self-centered primadonna that is Melody. Granted, we already have Trixie for that.

For G3, I'll hop on the Minty bandwagon. I do think she's a tiny bit overrated, but she's closer than most G3 ponies to being an actual character. I second Starcatcher though, as she's my personal favourite of the G3 cast.

Sea ponies. I don't care what anybody says, I LOVED the sea ponies as a kid and looking back as an adult, they were one of the better things about G1. There have been "merponies" in the comics so I guess that counts, but I would like to see them in the show.

I think some of the past generation's villains would be great to use. Tirek made the transition pretty seamlessly, imagine if they used Squirck, Grogar, or dare we even dream . . .

"Praise Smooze . . ." 

I'm all for them bringing back the smooze, if, and only if the Flutter ponies came back with it and kicked its gooey ass yet again, as they did before, when the Mane 6's friendship powers aren't able to.

One point.  Firefly was the 1st pony to cross dimensions.  She brought back a human.  I don't think Megan would really fit, but having Dash find out she's a distant ancestor & deciding "If she could do it, I could do it" , that has possibilities.  Especially if something goes Horribly Wrong 

One point.  Firefly was the 1st pony to cross dimensions.  She brought back a human.  I don't think Megan would really fit, but having Dash find out she's a distant ancestor & deciding "If she could do it, I could do it" , that has possibilities.  Especially if something goes Horribly Wrong 

while I STRONGLY oppose the idea of humans in Equestria (because look how nice humans treat each other, and earth. Do we really want that in Equestria?) if they do go that route and again- I hope they never do- then instead of Megan, I'd like to see Frankie/ aka. Lauren Faust, Or if not Frankie, then another red-haired female character who represents Faust

The only reason why the characters are named after the characters from G3 is for copyright reasons. They were originally supposed to be revamped versions of G1 characters, but they didn't own the rights to the G1 characters (with the exception of Applejack and Spike).

Also, if they're going to "put in" a character from G3 while making them interesting, they might as well just create an original character, considering the oh-so-interesting personality that they're given to work with.

"Hey! We have this original character with a similar name and colour scheme as someone from G3! Why? Because... people like obscure references?"

They'd have to change some things. As far their personalities are concerned...

G1 Applejack was a raging alcoholic, and a lazy bum.

G1 Twilight was a lonely god who only showed up at night and had a habit of pulling stars from the sky whenever she so pleased.

Those aren't going to travel over well. Everyone else, though, why not? I'd especially love to see Galaxy. She always struck me as the Celestia type.

I am not sure how to go into details, but a great deal is fairly obsure with legalitys and trademarks and such. I will quote someone who has everything fairly coherent in their explanation (so I don't need to repeat stuff)

"Well, Hasbro actually did lose the rights to the TV show to Disney of all companies when Disney bought out marvel productions. That's how My Little Pony Tales came to be as it was a Disney venture, not a Hasbro venture. The rights have actually changed hands a few times over the past twenty years.

However, Hasbro currently owns full rights to the G1 television show and all the content within. In 2008, Hasbro bought back their 80's shows and every news release I've seen on it specifically mentions My Little Pony. However, they've done nothing with it. While the original Transformers and G.I. Joe have both been released on DVD since then and air on the Hub, the original My Little Pony has not.

As for the characters, my guess is they did not want to go through the process of registering all the trademarks over again at once. It would be very long, very involved, and very expensive. They might have also not seen the point of bringing back old characters for a new continuity. Would the show have been better if Rarity had been called Glory? Fans might say yes, but Hasbro execs wouldn't see the point.

Then there's the theory that someone in Hasbro media just has it out for My Little Pony. That's why Friendship is magic on in the early afternoon on weekdays (and was randomly moved to a half hour early with no fanfare) and put against shows like Pokemon on the weekends.

I guess you can say it's complicated and we don't know the whole picture."

-Al1701 from http://mlplexicon.proboards.com/thread/484

also here is some more info as to why...

http://www.equestriaforums.com/index.php?topic=302.0

There are characters they have and will use, but it's fairly obscure what they can and cannot use in the future....

I'm aware there's contracts and trademarks and just some characters they might not own to have freedom to use, anymore. But that wasn't what I was asking.

If they DID have ownership of all past gen characters, then who would people like to see brought back. THAT was what I was asking.

• 1 year later...

Just got done watching an anime called Dimension W, and found it interesting that these alt dimension pockets would open up in the real world, due to dangerous devices called "Numbers" coils, which took energy out of the core of a newly discovered dimesion of unlimited energy. This reminded me of a similar Yugioh series/movie that brought together chracters of varying dimensions and timelines (yugioh ZeXal/ bonds beyond time) and then a similar scene of MLP gen 1, with Firefly travelling to the human dimension across. Rainbow bridge, to get Megan.

Would anyone be opposed if this were to happen in a pony movie that brought togethermain characters from gen 1 through 3 into gen 4, via opening of pocket dimensions, perhaps accidentally caused by Discord or Dr Whooves?

• Brohoof 2

I doubt that would happen, as it would mean taking out ponies whose rights no longer belong to Hasbro, like Firefly. Unless the leaks are changed, we probably are gonna see an expansion of the alicorn lore 

That would be fun, them traveling back in time across the rainbow to meet their ancestors, traveling across the beautiful but dangerous land, teaming up to take on old and new foes. Good times. ^^

Edited by Leave a Whisper