• Mama (or Mamma)
    • Tata
    • Majko
    • Abba
    • Pops
    • Mother
    • Father
    • Other (please explain in a post)

Is it bad that I usually do their actual names some times? Other than that, it is mom and dad.

(edited)

I usually call my mom...well..."mom". With my dad, it is pretty different. The world I use to call him doesn't actually have a proper translation to English, because it's more of something we do only in Tuscany. Odd thing is: people here use the word "babbo" (the dialectal form of "papà") to identify dads, but in every other parts of Italy that same word is used to refer to identify someone stupid!:D

Edited by Vintjack Greasymane

Mommy and Daddy. 

Hold on! Hold on! I can explain! :lie: I'm Chinese, more specifically I speak the Cantonese dialect. In Hong Kong, it's common to just call your parents 媽咪 (Ma-mi) and 爹啲 (Deh-di), that is what I call my parents by too because it's the more friendly name to approach your parents by. You can also call them 呀媽 (Ah-ma) or 呀爸 (Ah-ba), but that's it bit more informal and is viewed as somewhat rude. There also the swear words that I won't get into. :D But the name is called these words are just pronounced exactly like the words "mommy" and "daddy", alright? Just wanted to justify myself real quick. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Mum and Dad if I am talking to them...

if I am talking to an American about my parents (or mentioning them), then I'll say Mom and Dad

and if I am talking about them to someone in most cases I'll say maw and da

Edited by Sherbert Music-Guard

As a norwegian, I call them "mamma" and "pappa," and  always feels a little weird whenever I hear someone refer to their parents as "mor" or "far" :blink:

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I use to call my mother mama when I was younger, but now I've gotten into calling her mother most of the time. Sometimes I call her mom when I want to shorten it. I used mugger a few times when I say mother in a silly way.

As for my father, I've never been able to call him anything directly because he went to prison when I was young, younger than I'm able to remember. When I bring him up in a conversation, it's either "my father" or his real name since I'm not sure how to feel about him. Even then, I'm still uncomfortable using both of those terms.

• Brohoof 1

I have replied before but I figured I could be more specific. 

I call my mother both "äiti" and "äitee", first one is the normal word for mom/mother, and second is the same one but with a dialect. 

For my father, I used to call him "Isi" (somewhere between dad and daddy) when I was kid, but nowadays I call him "Isä" (Father) 

In english when talking about them, I use father and mother. 

• Brohoof 1