Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Free sketches [Closed]

Once In A Blue Moon

are there no alicorns? 

Its funny you say that, the reason many people don't do alicorns is because the person who creates the OC, generally makes it a pony that is perfect in every aspect. They are the wife or gf of some major character, the child of another major character, and have unlimited amounts of magical strength. These character have no backstory and are usually made on "Pony Generator" with little or no thought put into the character itself. These OC were rejected and shunned because it didn't portray the person behind it at all.

Many of the fans have gone to finding different animals and pony types as it better expresses who they are. as for me, I prefer a unicorn or earth pony. These two best define me, the unicorn represents my love to learn and practice what I learned, and an earth pony because It is my lifelong dream to fly and push past the limits of what holds me down.

Also alicorns are pretty much an ended bloodline and extremely rare since they have unlimited power source

Edited by Minty Beam

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your work so far and applaud the choice to align practice with a display of generosity. At the very least I can pretend I'm providing you with something in return, heh, heh.

To make this a little interesting, let me toss a somewhat original challenge your way: Cursive Initial.

Species: unicorn

Color scheme:

- coat: faded khaki (somewhere around #CCE0A4 if I were to be the judge and trust the color display on my work computer)

- hair: mostly grayed brown

- eyes: amethyst

Expression: I'll leave you the choice, but to fit the character, do not make it cheery. A scowl, an irritated frown, a look of disgruntlement or annoyance... I'm sure you catch my drift.

Other features: as per the description linked above, though I'm unsure whether it would actually be visible from such perspective, his hair are rather long and done in a single loose ponytail. The more important feature is his facial hair, short, stubby and gray - something along the lines of "I don't really wear a beard, but haven't shaved for a week or two".

Have fun, if you will. And thanks for the offer, I'm starting to like this OC and a picture to top off his profile would be great.

the person who creates the OC, generally makes it a pony that is perfect in every aspect.

That can be the case, but I avoid generalising. If someone wants an alicorn drawn, then an alicorn I will draw. 

alicorns are pretty much an ended bloodline

Judging by what we've seen, being an alicorn isn't hereditary (at least not directly.) 

Anyway, did you want a picture drawn? 

That can be the case, but I avoid generalising. If someone wants an alicorn drawn, then an alicorn I will draw. 

Judging by what we've seen, being an alicorn isn't hereditary (at least not directly.) 

Anyway, did you want a picture drawn? 

perhaps alicorns are mutations in the gene? Alicorns are born natural like the well known luna and celestia, as well as the new princess flurry heart. also I'm good about the sketch, lurking is my game.

Hi could you do my ponysona wearing a black cloak. Same expression as in pic.

It took a couple of goes to get the hood right, and I decided that the side-on view would work better.

Oh, and I forgot to add the thicker outline in the uncoloured version. Oh well.

post-34886-0-16228400-1455917889_thumb.png

It took a couple of goes to get the hood right, and I decided that the side-on view would work better.

Nice going you are getting better and better at this.Keep the good work up;)

Thank you very much, it looks awesome.

I'm not particularly pleased with this one - more mane was needed, and the hair around horn shouldn't be black-edged. Oh well. (I also forgot to scan the uncoloured version.)

attachicon.gifDyn1.png

I think this looks pretty cool and I like it. Thanks so much and I really appreciate it.  :)

Have fun, if you will. And thanks for the offer, I'm starting to like this OC and a picture to top off his profile would be great.

Alas, a £1.25 12-pack of pencils from the local post office doesn't permit terribly precise colouring, but he is at least green. CCE0A4... perhaps not. If you (or anyone else) can do fancy digital art on the uncoloured version then please feel free. Other than that, the ponytail is out of sight but means that you can't see his mane around his neck and I spent quite a while examining Granny Smith to work out how to do wrinkles, which seem to have gone quite well.

I like your work so far and applaud the choice to align practice with a display of generosity.

It's always nice to do something for people, and it gives me a wider variety of challenges than I would otherwise face. And speaking of faces:

post-34886-0-42504700-1456283614_thumb.png 

Oh, and this marks one month since my first drawing of a pony head. Huzzah.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

Alas, a £1.25 12-pack of pencils from the local post office doesn't permit terribly precise colouring, but he is at least green. CCE0A4... perhaps not. If you (or anyone else) can do fancy digital art on the uncoloured version then please feel free.

The color stamp was only a suggestion. I imagined something leaning a little more towards yellow, but I'm still very pleased with the final effect. And I don't know about fancy, but I believe I'll give digitalizing him a try once I find a moment.

Other than that, the ponytail is out of sight but means that you can't see his mane around his neck and I spent quite a while examining Granny Smith to work out how to do wrinkles, which seem to have gone quite well.

Agreed, they're very fitting. I also love the expression - inconspicuous at first, but quickly recognizable as an agitated disbelief, "Are you so dense that you can't realize you should stop talking to me by now?"

All in all... thanks a lot! And happy monthiversary :lol:

(If it won't post as a new post, it could at least display a note that the below part has been added later...)

So, uh... I did give it a shot. Despite it being my first pony digital art ever completed (not that I can claim much in the way of authorship, heh), I am pretty pleased. There are still a bunch things I don't get -- like how to do the thick outlines properly, or what is the correct way to picture graying hair in vector without a myriad multicolored lines. I am pretty proud of the yes, at least.

I hope you don't mind the few changes I've made: a delicate touchup of head-top hair, especially the upper line - since they're taut in a ponytail, it seemed to me there shouldn't be as many of them sticking upwards; the addition of the ponytail itself along the neckline - he looked kind of balding without that; and the additional forehead wrinkles to complete the "old grump" effect.

All that said, I could never do it without you and sure as Twilight is best pony, I've linked you in reference to my "remake" on the OC page. Under the risk of sounding boring, thanks again!

Edited by Hederik

can you draw mine please?

Done.

post-34886-0-80213400-1456541460_thumb.png 

I hope you don't mind the few changes I've made: a delicate touchup of head-top hair, especially the upper line - since they're taut in a ponytail, it seemed to me there shouldn't be as many of them sticking upwards; the addition of the ponytail itself along the neckline - he looked kind of balding without that; and the additional forehead wrinkles to complete the "old grump" effect.

By all means make changes - I see my sketches as an attempt to 'bring to life' (in a very loose sense of the phrase) your character, so any alterations to fit are absolutely fine.

I was surprised, when I looked up a number of pictures of Granny Smith, to see that there were no wrinkle lines on the forehead. Horses (and ponies) don't get wrinkles on their foreheads, but humans do, and so one could interpret how horse-like or human-like one wishes their character to look from such indicators. Regardless, whatever you think fits.

I was surprised, when I looked up a number of pictures of Granny Smith, to see that there were no wrinkle lines on the forehead. Horses (and ponies) don't get wrinkles on their foreheads, but humans do

How did I forget to respond to this? :muffins:

While the horse bit might be true (actually, probably the pony one, too, as long as we're talking real world) - I wouldn't know - I found it difficult to believe there were really no wrinkled foreheads in the realm of MLP. And although it is true that many of the olden ponies have no wrinkles on their foreheads, or said face part covered by bangs, hats and such, I was able to find a few images to present to you as evidence of my blind approach not being heavily un-canon:

Ma Hooffield

Old McColt

The guy on the left

Aged Snails

:smug:

(edited)

While the horse bit might be true (actually, probably the pony one, too, as long as we're talking real world) - I wouldn't know - I found it difficult to believe there were really no wrinkled foreheads in the realm of MLP. And although it is true that many of the olden ponies have no wrinkles on their foreheads, or said face part covered by bangs, hats and such, I was able to find a few images to present to you as evidence of my blind approach not being heavily un-canon:

Interesting - I wonder if the artists were given any guidance on it, or if it's left to them to decide.

Anyway, to all waiting for a request; I'm afraid I've got a bit sidetracked, and I'm not working on them at the moment. I am, however, still doing some arty stuff (see below) and if you wish you can have your OC featured in it (please do ask.) It won't be the same level of detail as the earlier sketches, but it will most likely be done sooner. If not, the queue will remain as-is when I resume work on head sketches.

Anyway, on to the project I spent the last five hours on:

post-34886-0-02730400-1457583444_thumb.png

Inspired by the game Deadnaut, here we see the CMC scouting the hulk of an abandoned starship - and encountering the unfriendly locals. Deadnaut is a good game with a great atmosphere - I'd recommend it, especially since you can customise the team you take into the campaign (so you can have a team of your OCs venture forth, drawn by myself or some other esteemed artist... or you  can give your ex-girlfriend a shotgun and have her walk first into every room. No, I'm not bitter, I just have a vindictive sense of humour.) 

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon