Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Who do you like to play as?

CastletonSnob

I like to play as different styles, but most of the time I go for stealth and accuracy. Sort of the assassin/sniper/thief type character. For example, my character in Skyrim can't take on a high level enemy in a fight, but can kill almost anything in one shot with a bow or dagger if I'm hidden. As soon as I've been detected though, I'm screwed. 

I also make sure my character has high charisma if that is an option. I like to be able to talk my way out of tricky situations.

Edited by El Duderino

I tend to prefer a supportive damage dealer, sort of like an Engineer if you will. If something screws up then I like to be able to do something about it, while at the same time I like to dish out the pain.

Plus, they sometimes get a weapon that excels at creating a big boom, I like it.

It really depends on the type of game.

In WoW style MMORPG, I like to be a tank. Most raid groups boil down to some combination of tanks, DPS and healers, and I have the most fun tanking. Sure, dealing tons of damage is fun and I do get some satisfaction out of keeping everybody at full health, but DPS is usually just running through your rotations and healing is setting up and aura or two and then spamming heals on the tank (or somebody else in an emergency).

But with tanking, you have to manage aggro, sometimes on plenty of enemies at once. You have to run around the room, making sure to aggro all the adds as the pop up. You have to know the perfect time to use your interrupts and damage mitigation, when a taunt is appropriate as opposed to drawing aggro normally, making sure you don't run near any squishies when you get hit with AoE, stuff like that.

In single player RPGs, I usually prefer a DPS mage or rogue, especially if it's a party based system like Dragon Age. I don't trust AI to kill things quickly enough. If you have control over everybody anyway, then I tend to think of the party as a whole and build the main character as whatever the party needs.

In RPGs with combat based on die rolls (either literally or just RNG in general) I greatly prefer accuracy over raw damage, which usually ends up being a rogue or mage character. In old school Fallout games, I'd usually go with high agility and perception, but with the newer ones, I just do whatever because they're basically just open world FPSs with some numbers and dialogue choices (okay, NV had some nice RPG elements).

In MOBAs, I like to play whatever is the most fun, although I almost always call fill. It changes from time, and at the moment my favorites for each position in LoL are: Vlad top, Talon mid, Leona/Morgana support, Varus adc, and Xin jungle. I don't have as much experience with HotS, but I like to play Jaina, Azmodan and Muradin. Again, totally different. I've played Dota barely at all, but I'm partial to Undying. So you figure it out :P

In shooters, it really varies from game to game. I played a ton of UT04, and flak canon was my shit. Wrecked so many noobs with that. In TF2, I played Pyro, Heavy and Soldier, so I guess I preferred AoE damage. In a lot of slower paced games (such as the newer Fallouts, Borderlands, Farcry) I usually go with a sniper rifle and a full auto secondary for close range.

The FPS I play the most is Planetside 2, where I main Light Assault. LAs are fairly weak, but have jetpacks and great mid/close range weapons. I rely on trickery and mobility to get kills on people before they can see me, as opposed to just fighting them head on. And also dropping C4 on vehicles is just too fun.

But then we have Warframe, where I main Valkyr and Ember, which don't have much in common on the surface, but they do share one great thing. Toggle ults that I can turn on and then not die. Valk is just straight up immortal while ulting, and Ember has a ton of AoE CC while hers in on. Both ults also do a lot of damage, so that helps. My main weapon is Hek, which is up there with the best shotguns in the game.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm always the one who's good at taking hits, dishing out hits, aswell as minor/medium healing. Basically, I always pick the class that can solo stuff :P

For example: Paladin, WoW. They do a good bit of damage, they can take a decent amount, and can fully restore themselves if things go wrong.

I play single player games only, and because of it I will just cheat and play completely invincible Lightning Bruisers who can dish out tremendous damage, soak up tremendous damage, and still move extremely quickly. I'll also wield a sword if at all possible. I don't play games for the challenge most of the time anyway, merely for the chance to feel like a god.

* i usually go for a character that can kill quickly or from a distance so that i don't get owned. sometimes i like to play as a tank class, but i mostly like to go for power above all else.

I prefer fast and agile characters who don't hit hard, but hit rapidly in succession. Characters like Greninja and Meta Knight in Smash Bros, for example. You can outrun (and out-jump) your opponents and quickly attack them from behind, below, or above, however the moment they fight back it's wise to leap or dash away. I guess, sometimes, these characters can be predictable, and usually aren't too great at taking hit after hit, but I certainly favour them. Not to say I don't like using tank-like characters, though. Particularly those with a good range. :)

I am and will always be a Tank. This is because I tend to be brash and impulsive. Acting on horrible instincts without any forethought of the situation. Playing tanks makes my behavior a lot less risky.

Whatever the game, I always prefer lighter armour and moving faster. Even as part of a larger team, I often lone wolf, trying to find sneaky routes or flanking to get behind the enemy and just do as much damage as possible without exposing myself.

I genuinely struggle playing any other character XD

I'm a bit of coward, so I like to focus on quick characters who can attack first, fast, from a distance and runaway if needed. Reason why sniper is one of my preferred classes.

this is why I'm playing as Zer0 in borderlands, even though krieg is much stronger. playing Zer0 feels more like playing a sci-fi-ninja, which is just much cooler than playing as a random psycho.

usually, I prefer quick and strong characters that can't take many hits. it really puts my reflexes to a test, and let's be honest: it's just much more logical. in all the games where people use heavy armor, you still see the weapons slicing through them. I prefer to dodge them instead of having to put too much trust into my armor.

Really depends on the game.

I tend to be a bit of a challenge gamer, so a lot of times I'll go out of my way to make a really shitty or lopsided build. I may use nothing but the starting weapon for the entirety of the game, or I may wear no armor. Maybe both, have a glass cannon without any cannon.
When I'm not doing that, I usually play as big guy with a big sword. Whether or not my defense matches my offense is entirely up for grabs. In Dark Souls and TES Oblivion I played as a straight glass cannon. Enormous damage output, but couldn't take a hit at all. In Dark Souls II I made a ridiculosly overpowered build that hits very hard, uses the heaviest armor in game, and moves completely unhindered.

When it comes to shooters (which I don't believe was the focus of this topic but I'm including anyway) I think my play style can be entirely summed up by the fact that my favorite "sniper rifle" in gaming history was Battlefield Bad Company 2's M2 Carl Gustav Recoilless Rifle. Few things are more satisfying than getting "most headshots" in a round with a fucking rocket launcher.

I was Kirito before SAO was a thing.

I'd usually pick a rogue-style class, and I'd switch between stealthy gameplay, and high-speed gameplay.
Sometimes I'd poison enemies, sometimes I'd go toe to toe with as much evasion and attack speed as I could possibly gather on gear, plus whatever I could squeeze out of skills for crazy burst damage.
I don't know why I went past-tense. I still play like that. :v

I usually play tanks or priests -- whichever class is favored most by the game when it comes to skill and success.  IE in games where money is done by item repair and tanks pay the primary burden of that cost, or if tank DPS is reduced to near 0, I am less likely to play a tank.  In games where Priests are one-dimensional healbots especially if they are saddled with cloth armor making them glass solo, I am less likely to play a priest.

Optimally I play something like a shaman from everquest where a whole raid could live or fail due to the right or wrong decision at the proper time.  Then there was Swordmaster in Warhammer where playing well could completely turn a scenario. 

It takes a very skewed environment to get me to play a pure dps.  Originally I played a tank in Aion, but it was SOOO SLOW.  When I came back for the second try at said game, I went sorcerer. 

As much I like to get in there and bring the fight to the enemy, I like to think I'm better at staying back and helping the team in other ways, so some kind of support class is usually my first choice, but only in games that have them of course. Otherwise, something with range, or even speed, is usually what I prefer to go with. ^^

On console games I love playing a tank or balanced. Tanks I play when i wanna bash some heads and take on a group of enemies at once. Balanced is when i want to actually think about what i am doing in the game. PC games i play as god. Yes, i cheat and have 10/10 skills and multipliers that are times ten thousand.

• 6 years later...

I’m not a stealthy player. I prefer a more in-your-face style of dealing carnage. When I’m in battle I like to use the most destructive weapon I can get (shotgun is my go-to) and I charge right at the enemies, blasting away until I’m dead or they are.

Yeah, I die a lot.

Depends on the games and its play styles. In general I'm more of the stealthy DPS type of player. I'm always cautions while playing so I depend on stealth and far range attacks to weaken my enemies first. Once they're dying then I go to short range to finish it.  If there's no far range weapons for me to use, I focus on power/defense. I'm never a fan as being the healers or focusing on that field, it's not my type. As for games that's not RPG, I played characters that are easy to use or the underdog. That way I could learn to use them more effectively while not trying to focus on how to control them if they are too difficult to use.