Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Sweetie Belle's magic color not well thought out?

ggg-2

Sweetie's magic is shown to be a pale green color. However, many characters with green magic, such as Flim and Flam, Chrysalis, and Rarity under the effects of Inspiration Manifestation, have been antagonistic in nature. So, is Sweetie Belle's magic just poorly thought out?

Edited by ggg-2
  • Brohoof 1

Shining Armor probably also inherited his magic color from his mother, as did Twilight. I remember Twilight Velvet having the same color magic as he and Twilight at the coronation. 

It may also be disregarding the usual rule to emphasize the bond between he and Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

Never thought of the cutie mark thing, that explains Shining Armour anyway.

A good example is Celestia and Luna.

Celestia's eyes are purple, but her magic is golden yellow like her cutiemark. Luna's cutiemark on the other hand is black and white, but black doesn't stand out, and white is too plain, so her magic is the color of her eyes; blue.

• Brohoof 2

I was going to say Rarity's magic is white and her eyes are blue but upon looking back, I see that her magic is blue so I guess it does match her eyes though they are different shades of blue.

Edited by Aurora Storm
  • Brohoof 2

All of the villain's magic we've seen so far have had pure green. Sweetie Belle's magic sits more in between green and white.

Pretty much, the colour of unicorn magic generally matches their eye colour, and Sweetie Belle has green eyes.

• Brohoof 2

I think they just meant it to match her eyes. The one problem with that is that it ruins the way I thought magic colours worked. They always matched the cutie mark, even if they didn't match the eyes. Now Sweetie Belle has a pink & purple cutie mark and green magic and my system is ruined. :okiedokielokie: So yes, It was badly thought out.

• Brohoof 1

I don't understand when green meant something bad. Don't the jedi use green lightsabers?

Yeah, but they've been more consistently paired with blue.

It's not a 100% thing, but over the years green (especially LIME GREEN) has become one of the colors of evil in media.

Here's a bunch of Disney examples: http://40.media.tumblr.com/c4e9f477d7f6a48a48f2706250c58a23/tumblr_n3wj9oH0NQ1ty1epio1_r1_500.jpg

And there's several examples of it in my little pony.

Chrysalis' magic. The magic from the evil book that possessed Rarity.

I KNOW there's more, but I have to go looking for them.

• Brohoof 3

I don't understand when green meant something bad. Don't the jedi use green lightsabers?

The only reason Luke Skywalkers lightsaber was green in Ep.VI was because the blue colour used previously didn't show up very well against the sky in the scene on Tatooine when they were being fed to the sarlaac.

• Brohoof 2

I think they just meant it to match her eyes. The one problem with that is that it ruins the way I thought magic colours worked. They always matched the cutie mark, even if they didn't match the eyes. Now Sweetie Belle has a pink & purple cutie mark and green magic and my system is ruined. :okiedokielokie: So yes, It was badly thought out.

Hon your system was always flawed.

Look at my comment about Celestia and Luna's magic. It's always been eyes OR cutiemark.

And nothing wrong with that. Cutiemarks represent what's unique about you, but eyes are the windows to the soul.

• Brohoof 1

I have learned something new today. Thank you forums! :D Never thought about the eye color thing, after 3 and a half years I never made such a connection. Seems to be the case with most ponies that use magic, with some exceptions as stated above. 

That or Sweetie Belle is sooooo sweet that she is taming the wild color that is green. 

• Brohoof 1

It's not poorly thought out.

Most unicorns have the same colored magic aura as their eyes.

SweetieBelle's eyes are green

So, her magic is green.

• Brohoof 1

The colour of a Unicorns horn-nimbus is (in most cases) the same as their eye colour,  Sweetie Belle has green eyes, ergo, she has a green horn-nimbus.  There are exceptions to this, Shining armour has purple for some reason, even though his eyes are blue.

Shining Armor has Cadance's magic color and Cadance has Shining Armor's. 

One wonders if this was done by them on purpose or if it is just a further sign they were meant for each other.

• Brohoof 2

Shining Armor has Cadance's magic color and Cadance has Shining Armor's. 

One wonders if this was done by them on purpose or if it is just a further sign they were meant for each other.

Cadance and Shining Armour both have magic colours that match their own cutie marks.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, Green and red tend to be the go to "Evil" colors for magic. Doesn't mean you can't use them for good as well, its just they tend to be associated with evil.

Actually, it's lime green that symbolizes evil. Sweetie Belle's magic isn't lime green. 

LIKE JELLO!

it makes perfect sense....

168074.JPG

• Brohoof 1