Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Ever been asked to hang out, and just hung back?

ManaMinori

In a surprising, super rare occurrence, I was invited to go ice skating with a large group from my religious congregation. I wanted to decline at first, but decided to at least try to come out my shell more. (And I appreciated the opportunity to get out the house) so I slept on it, and accepted. But oce at the ice rink, I bought skates. Didn't even touch the ice, for fear of making a fool of myself, and beinv recorded. We went out to eat. Bought a tiny salad, but didn't touch it, because I'm self conscious about eating in front of other people. I just hope no one thinks I'm a boring, do-nothing person.

Have you guys ever been asked out with friends, accepted the invite, but just kinda hung back and not involve yourself in ything?

• Brohoof 4

Sure have. I can relate with you about feeling self conscious about eating in front of people (though nowadays I feel a lot less awkward about it). I also sometimes hold back a bit socially if I'm out with a group of others, often because I get people drained and want to get lost in thought, or I'm more interested in observing my friends. It happens! :P

That used to be my MO back in high school and college. Even now, when I was working, going to work functions with co-workers I kind of just hung out and observed. But with people I'm more close with, I'm more open. As a general rule, I've come out of my shell like 2000%, but I'm still very shy with people I've just met.

I remember during my senior prom, I mostly hung out by the soda machine in the corner...yeah. That was prime example. 

My advice, if you want advice, is to not worry about being recorded and making a fool. Either they won't care, of it they do, they'll just record you in fun and you can laugh about it with them. And I'm sure no one cares about what you're eating. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah dude, all my friends live on campus not far from here, ( i don't go to the same college as they do) But all they wanna do when i go down to their dorm to hangout is they play Mortal Kombat, and i hate that game so i just kinda sit there wishing i was back home by that point.

Absolutely. Pretty much all I do when I hang out with my friends. My mom made me go to every single unbearable school dance/party, and I always end up in a corner by myself waiting for it to end. I don't hang out outside of school much, because of my job and chores to take care of.

Actually, my friends have started actively avoiding me. I'm moving soon, so I'm sure they do it so they don't miss me; but it stings when the only three friends I made in 5 years get up and leave whenever I sit by them at lunch.

• Brohoof 2

I used to do this pretty often, but I noticed that I was being invited less and less to places because I was like that.

People saw me as boring, and I didn't blame them.

It's been a long time since then and i've grown out of most of my insecurities. When I am in a group nowadays, I am very social and I try my best to get involved.

• Brohoof 1

That's actually kinda what my friends and I do when we get that "once in a blue moon" chance to hang out... I'm serious, we just hang back, watch TV, order pizza, and down mountain dew while LAN'ing either Minecraft or Garry's Mod.

I can seriously relate to you on this one. My two closest friends invite me to an arcade called Fast Lanes on a regular basis. When there, I kinda just hang by the machines to actually win prizes and tickets. I don't play that often except to claw for a little stuffy occasionally. Anyway, my friends do invite me to do something with them but I always feel like I'll make a huge fool out of myself just by playing said game. I'm perfectly fine with my skills, but not with the game I end up playing.

Considering hanging back now, actually. Been getting invited to clubs recently which I hate compared to pubs and bars, but I suppose it helps in the fight against social anxiety to force myself to go. That I don't get a lot of opportunities to go out. It always seems like there's an air of hostility at them, but that might be just me.

A few weeks ago, I was invited to my first college party by my friend from a club he was in, and as expected, drug and alcohol were involved. Besides smoking my fair share of second-hand marijuana (there were like a dozen people doing weed), declining multiple servings of 80-proof vodka and vaporized weed, and rejecting a 120% drunk+high good-looking flirty girl's offer (I actually took the mandatory sexual-assault/drug/alcohol edu program in my college seriously, "an intoxicated girl cannot give consent"). I stood back, sipped some non-alcoholic lemonade, and observed my semi-conscious peers' erratic behaviors.

Major accomplishments of the day:

- Did not succumb to peer pressure

- Stayed up until 3 AM

- Carried my friend's drunk roommate back to their dorm with my friend (who actually knows how to drink for the "buzz" without getting drunk)

- Managed to avoid choking from second-hand weed.

On a side note, slipping on ice is far from foolish, and to acknowledge and laugh about your seemingly foolish screwup is on the contrary a sign of courage and confidence.

Personal anecdote: Take judo for an example, picture some guy who hasn't done somersault in years doing an instant backward somersault jump back to his feet for the first time ever. That was me last week, after serveral 90 degree semi-somersault-like-but-not-really-somersault-which-resulted-in-falling-on-face actions, my friends and I had some good laugh, and I fortunately avoided breaking my neck.

Edited by Solid
  • Brohoof 1

I tried going to parties with my girlfriend, but I generally don't enjoy them much because her friends and I don't usually have much in common. I don't drink, smoke or do any kind of drugs so no common ground there, my music tastes are vastly different and I generally don't know the people or events they're talking about, so I'll just sit on a couch staring ahead most of the night, counting down the hours.

I still go to certain parties because there are some cool people there, but most of the time I just stay at home because it's honestly more fun for both me and my girlfriend.

• Brohoof 1

I am always like that. My, lets say cough"friends", sometimes act pretty immature. I said sometimes, not always. Rather to say, most of the times. Majority of them are homophobic, rude, troublemakers and many more. Now homophobic doesn't impact me personally a lot because I am not, well... But another friend I know IS homosexual and he gets a lot of nasty words from the rest of my "friends", mostly behind his back. It is still rude because I am a type of a person who puts himself it other's positions a lot. Example; A straight friend tells me he doesn't want to have any business with the homosexual friend anymore, and I ask him why, and he says "Because he is gay and stupid". Come on........ I feel for that guy, so do I feel for everyone else.

They also act dumb sometimes such as doing some dumb things while on the streets, telling me what to do in my own house and trying to teach me how to live properly. Also it is impossible to avoid them; they force me to go outside with them every day possible, come to my place out of nowhere and act smart and tell me how to live, and all of that got me to the point where I am thinking like "I will just go with them and keep my mouth shut until I finally get to go home, make the fools happy so they can finally leave me alone." There was also a day in the past when for just a LITTLE moment I thought of faking death in the future to get away from them, but lol that's dumb...  ^_^

• Brohoof 2

* if i'm ever somewhere with a lot of people then yes, i tend to hang back a lot. if i'm at my friends house with just them or a small handful of people, i'm usually very involved.

Depends of the context, if you ask me.

If it is with a big group of people, I am very silent and barely get involved in anything they do, no matter if I like it or not. I simply dislike big groups as a whole, I cannot do nothing properly while being in one.

When it is with a small group though? Things suffer a radical change, I become more open, I become more active even if I may not like that activity, but hell, it will be fun to have a good time with my friends just because.

So to answer your question, I only hang back when it is with a big group of people, but when it is with a small group, I cannot hold myself and I have to partake on the activities that may take place (unless they break the law, of course. I am a prankster person, not an idiot)

Absolutely 100% yes... even if its just me and another person I'll still hang back. But if there's at least 4 others and you're quiet, you can sneak away easy enough... if that doesn't work you lie and say your going downstairs for something and you just leave and go home! Hey, I've done it before. With only 2 other people its way tougher though... can't sneak away from them easily enough.

uhhhh

bluh?

Semi Relevant, from Imgur.

uyDlAru.png

iCA49gs.png

3oGd0fY.png

lhLBOSh.png

Tm8cZlJ.png

Though I'm not entirely anti-social as it were, I do hang back most times.

I don't really find many social gatherings spark my interest much to begin with.

• Brohoof 1

I never get invited anywhere any more, but I like it that way, so it's fine.

In the past, when I did get invited out, I usually did just hang back and avoid interacting with anyone. I've always preferred to observe rather than participate.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

In high school I've been invited to one or two things, but they went badly, so now I don't hang out or go anywhere. People thing I'm boring but I'm not, so it's hard to get out there.