Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Ever been asked to hang out, and just hung back?

ManaMinori

This happens to me a lot, mainly because I get overshadowed very much in most social situations involving more than 2-3 people. I do want to get involved, but I'm usually easily overlooked which leads to me becoming too ill motivated to even continue. I think FOX Sports Go has become one of my new best friends now.

I am very rarely ever asked to go anywhere with anyone, so it usually just depends on what it is. If it is going to a friend's house to hang out or going a road trip, these I really enjoy so I will go for it unless I am tired or something. 

Anything larger than that, it really just depends on my current mood. 

Yeah totally, a lot of times I just sit back and let the events play out. I mean I talk and contribute but I'm just more passively involved. Nothing wrong with it, Fluttershy could be said to be doing the same whenever the Mane Six hang out. (Such as being the scorekeeper during Dash and AJ's Iron Pony competition.)

I do it a lot to girls. Im not bein sexist or anything. I just am afraid of being tempted into another relationship. Me and my woman are polyamorous but Im still uncomfortable with the concept of having more than one partner.

Usually, I'll only hang back in cases where I sense something's not quite right, like if I sense impending disaster at a location or it's someone I don't feel I can trust with that. More often though, I'd rather be honest and tell them straight up I don't feel the friendship is ready for that yet, unless it's one of those people who REALLY don't take turndowns well.

I am currently looking to possibly take an online friendship or two into the real world, if any of you live in Austin TX or a neighboring city, PM me and maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Many many times... if it is a big group. If there are at least 4 persons, I might hang back, if there is at least one person who I am not familiar with and don't really see often (who is really a stranger to me). 

If I am with my own friend group, then no, I participate fully. 

• 1 month later...

I have had a close experience with what you said. I was invited to come along with some people I knew well to Winter Wonderland ( Kind of like a fair, but winter themed) and they had an ice rink, while everyone went on the ice rink and had fun. 3 of us didnt go on because we were all afraid of looking stupid. The entire night was so awkward and I regret going out.

Maybe its because I felt out of place? There was two couples in our group, and they spent time with each other and the rest of us sort of watched. If I was with my close friends I dont think It would've been such a bad night.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. I've never been asked by any small amount of friends I've had over the years to do anything. It was usually me asking them all the time and spending money on those who weren't really friends at all. Some life I've had yeah?

Plenty of times. Sometimes, we just hang out together, playing video games, watching movies and if the weather in the summer is good, we like to make an old fashioned BBQ. Of course, sometimes i just don't feel like doing that.

We are usually a group of 4 to 5 guys and that works out pretty well. I remember a time going to brony meetups, where we are like 15 to 20 people and these are just chaotic and are no fun at all. That's why i always recommend to stick to a few close friends. It's not about how many you have, it's about how much you trust the ones that you have.

Whenever I walk anywhere with an odd number of any friends. There is always that one guy walking at the back because the footpaths is only ever wide for two people. That was me most of the time but ehh. I had music to listen to.

(edited)

No. On the rare occasions I am invited out by someone other than my immediate family, it's usually one of my friends inviting me and some other friends round his to play video games, watch films, drink, eat, etc. I like all of that.

Although recently I was invited paintballing by a sort-of friend and I straight up declined because it was in the morning, and I hate mornings.

Edited by BritishBrony 13

Sometimes hanging back is necessary, it's all part of the mechanics of maintaining popularity. Make yourself too available, and you come across as needy, desperate, and have nothing going on; conversely, if you make yourself too inaccessible you'll cost yourself a lot of good interaction; this is also important if you want something more than platonic friendship. There's a two-sided margin you want to stay inside of there.

Nobody has asked me to go anywhere with them since like...Middle School. So, I don't really have a choice to hang back or not.

When people did use to ask me, I usually did hang back quite a bit, I kind of regretted it a lot. But whenever I decided to "Join the fun" I always ended up regretting that three times as much, so it was the lesser of two evils.

Yes, i have done that.

There were a few situations in which People invited me, to go somewhere with them and i just said no because i was to unsure and shy or did go there and then ended up, doing nothing.

At first i didnt wanted to go to the farewell celebration ( or whatever its called in english ) at my school for example, because i had no idea what to do there...but i had to go and just stand there in a corner the whole time.

Best Celebration Ever !  :muffins:

One time someone invited me to go with them, to their house and play some Video Games.

Well, we did that...but i didnt really ended up saying anything and People got a little bit angry at me.

I mean, i told them, that i have not much to talk about...but some People just dont believe me, i think.  :wau:

Sure! Some days, I just don't feel up to it and would rather be alone. Otherwise, it's things I have no interest in, or I just have too much other stuff I need to do to have time to chill with friends ^^

That's the thing, my friends don't invite me to things like that to begin with. Lol. I think I was invited to ice skate once, like eleven years ago? I actually did try it...

Ooh that reminds me, no one should ever invite me to do bowling, I will sit back from that, because I am sooo bad at it. OMG. >.<

I haven't been invited to do anything in a really long time. If ever tbh.

I'd usually decline though, just because I really am afraid of embarrassing myself. I know I'm not that bad of a person but still, the thought haunts me. so I'd mostly say no,

• 2 years later...

I tend to make excuses so I can avoid hanging out. I usually feel awkward and prefer to avoid that feeling. I've had experiences that range from terrible to terrific, so it depends on who I'm hanging out with. In a large group I often gravitate to one or two people and try to avoid being too central.

When my friends would asks me to hung out but I always feel its a drag. Eventually I do hung with them but I just hung back since I'm not the sociable type. Now if it was a bible study (which I regret giving my phone number to) I say hell no.