Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first view on Bronies

n00bUltima

I thought that guys are just trolls. And it just way to annoy people posting ponies around the Internets. It was unbelievable that people do it seriously.

And I did the same. When I understood that it's not jokes it was too late.

mlfw592_medium.jpg

Edited by Crypty
  • Brohoof 2

Before I knew "Brony" was even a thing I hated Bronies.(I didn't even know what mlp was, I just saw the ponies and for some reason hated it.)

But when I heard the name "Brony" I got curious and still didn't like the fandom, until i got more curious.

* i didn't actually know anything about bronies until after i'd watched the show. let's just say my opinion of them was the typical one most non-bronies/brony haters have.

When I first heard about bronies I thought to myself, "Well, that's a bit odd..."
Having been through the fandom, I now realize exactly how great of an understatement that was.

I honestly thought it was strange, but I didn't really care that much. Of course, I hated the show at first (obviously I hadn't watched it yet), but I wasn't bothered that that there were people other than the target audience that liked it. I just didn't understand why.

I had long held the assumption that it was a kind of tongue-in-cheek thing, like a recognized ironic in-joke whose participants had enough self-awareness to control the growth/scope of the movement. Whoops! I underestimated the structure and size of the fandom before looking into it, so when I just dived in, of course, it was way deeper than I had anticipated. I'm still trying to find the bottom.

The same thing I thought about most other fandoms: Most of them are probably nice, but there are so many cringy weirdos. I haven't really changed that view because it holds true for every fandom I've been in. The majority of the people are sane, reasonable people, but the ones you about whom you hear stories are always the cringemasters and edgelords. At the time, I did wonder why MLP suddenly had such a huge following.

When I first heard about bronies, I thought they were just a fandom, like Trekkies and furries or others....some of them are kind and some are annoying... I still believes that there aren't much difference between us and other fandoms...

I was 12 when I heard about them first time and then I thought, that this is a fanclub of  one of my favorite youtuber because he was watching ponies... but it wasn't true and my childhood was destroyed  :)

Edited by Yarishia

Initially, I drew comparisons to The Powerpuff Girls. With that example, I was accustomed to "girls' shows" that could appeal across demographics and the idea that one of those could be good. In addition, I was indifferent towards the MLP franchise at the time. I didn't have the negative opinion towards it that others may have had. Many of my favorite YouTubers and DeviantArt accounts started posting pony stuff, but thankfully didn't spam it. One of them was nice enough to actually explain what bronies were when he started posting pony stuff.

I initially watched the show in 2011 and didn't really find it to be anything special, until I started reading the MLP Wiki and watching certain clip montages from the show. I then found that the episodes were all available on YouTube at the time, and this became one of the only shows with which I had caught up on every episode (something I almost never do).

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't really think much about them, I might have pointed out the odd fat kid at school and make the "he looks like a brony" joke just to impress my friends when I knew that if they told that joke to me I really wouldn't give a shit... but that's about it. I guess I really didn't have a negative view towards the show or people who watched it because there was a ton of bronies on the tf2 server I played on back in the day, and they were all really funny and nice people. That's kinda how I got into watching the show as well, because one of the guy's from the server was having a long conversation to me and then he brought up mlp and how I should watch it.

I was pretty neutral to the fandom long before joining it. Yeah, there are nice, friendly and likable users as well as those who do nothing but be a fountain of cringeworthy stuff which humilliates everybody else... Just like in every fandom.

In a nutshell I was like- WHAT/WHY/HOW/HUH?!?!?

post-24370-0-82703800-1445110784.jpg

Logic.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down
post-24370-0-74284000-1455163556.png

I was extremely confused/puzzled at first. Neutral but confused. It's kind of weird because in my case I knew NOTHING about bronies to start. I had just Googled Tara Strong wondering what she was up to projectwise these days. Since I saw she was in MLP I watched the first 2 episodes on YouTube just for kicks.

I could see that it had a lot of effort put into it and thought it was much better than the old one I had seen as a kid. I wasn't interested enough after the second episode to watch any more at the time. WELL, since I had searched it on YouTube my whole sidebar was now infested with MLP stuff and I was like WTF?!?!?!  :baconmane:

After about two weeks with that stuff showing up I clicked on a video with a thumbnail with a huge picture of Vinyl Scratch because I wondered what the hell "IT" was- with the weird hair and trippy purple "eyes". It was a fan made video with Jessi Nowack voicing her. This made me more confused. I just thought the show was just a girls/kid show that was a little better than average. I had to find out what was going on. At first I was very surprised by the size of the fandom. After watching more of the actual show I got what all the hype was about pretty quickly.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

Being a person who spends a lot of their time on the internet, I found out about Bronies soon after the term was created. At first, I was slightly annoyed when I began seeing ponies all over the internet, but now the fandom has calmed down some and now I love the show.

Originally I wanted nothing to do with them, I just wanted to watch ponies in peace (It also didn't help when I thought every Brony was a Clopper, and I use to hate Cloppers.)... now I'm somewhere between wanting little to do with them, and proudly being one of them...