Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first view on Bronies

n00bUltima

My first impression is kind of what convinced me to join. After seeing my first PMV I looked up the show, found out what they were, saw Lauren Faust’s name on it, and thought, “well, this show must actually be pretty good then.” The rest is my life. :)

Honestly I never even heard of bronies until I saw the show on Netflix in like 2013 and then looked stuff up online. There were a couple dudes on my Facebook that posted pony stuff but I never even gave it a second thought.

When I found this forum I was like um okay. There’s other peeps that like ponies. Now I don’t feel so weird for liking this show. Nice to know other people my age like it.

I was curious, very curious. I always loved MLP, but never knew there was an entire fanbase of teens and adults who enjoyed the show. Shortly after I first heard of bronies, I met a boy irl back in early 2014 who was a big time brony. We started talking and we eventually became good friends. He taught me a lot about bronies and the mlp fandom, and he also taught me what a pegasister is, simply a female MLP fan, which was what I was then, and what I am now. :D It felt good to know there was an entire community of people who were my age and older who enjoyed MLP, and that I wasn't the only one. I officially became a "pegasister" in late 2014 and I'm so happy I did. One of the best decisions I've ever made. The brony/pegasister community has taught me so much about acceptance and tolerance. :)

The first post I ever made when I joined MLP Forums should sum up my first view on Bronies :lol:.

Long story short from my first post, I hated every single solitary thing about this fandom due to its origin story on 4chan being red flags for me that this along with Furries are going to be really messed up, creepy, and straight up horrible (Basically an Anti-Brony originally).

But nowadays, I’m just trying to bury the past within me since the hatred I had for this fandom actually caused me to seek psychiatric therapy for a long time and I still am even to this day.

So I’m cool with Bronies and Furries as long they understand that I don’t share their ‘artistic’ tastes :eww: (Basically a Non-Brony).

I don’t really have anything against MLP: FIM, just some of the fans in any fandom that are hypocrites in the first place. Those type of people are the worst.

• Brohoof 1

My freshman year of high school I thought they were weird.  The guy I shared a welder with in welding class was one and I didn't know it until one week he noticed I was depressed the whole time we were in class, I let him do all the welding and I just sat back in the corner and didn't do anything.  He told me on Friday, "Hey, you seem a little down, I know something that will cure your depression.  It's a show, and your gonna call me crazy, but just watch the first episode and I'll never mention it again.  The show's My Little Pony." I laughed and said "That joke did cheer me up."  After I stopped laughing, he told me he was serious, just watch the first episode over the weekend and that'll be the last of it.

Fast forward to Monday morning, I wasn't talking to him the whole class, just sat back and watched.  He asked me at the end of class, "So, did you watch it?"  To which I replied, "Oh I watched it alright.  Too much of it.". He said, "I told you just had to watch the first episode."  I returned with, "You knew damn well that it was a 2 parter.  I had to watch the second, and the third, and the forth.  I finished the whole first season."  He told me, "Good, at that pace you'll be caught up in no time." 

It's all kind of snowballed from that day back in welding class 2013.

• Brohoof 2

First brony I met was a really good friend of mine. I teased him for liking such a girly show, especially since he always tried to act super tough and manly (despite the fact we were around 12-13 back then, lol). Regardless, I got interested and the entire series was on YouTube so...

We're still friends, but he got out of the series pretty quickly (like before Season 2 even finished) while I never truly left the fandom. 

12 hours ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

My freshman year of high school I thought they were weird.  The guy I shared a welder with in welding class was one and I didn't know it until one week he noticed I was depressed the whole time we were in class, I let him do all the welding and I just sat back in the corner and didn't do anything.  He told me on Friday, "Hey, you seem a little down, I know something that will cure your depression.  It's a show, and your gonna call me crazy, but just watch the first episode and I'll never mention it again.  The show's My Little Pony." I laughed and said "That joke did cheer me up."  After I stopped laughing, he told me he was serious, just watch the first episode over the weekend and that'll be the last of it.

Fast forward to Monday morning, I wasn't talking to him the whole class, just sat back and watched.  He asked me at the end of class, "So, did you watch it?"  To which I replied, "Oh I watched it alright.  Too much of it.". He said, "I told you just had to watch the first episode."  I returned with, "You knew damn well that it was a 2 parter.  I had to watch the second, and the third, and the forth.  I finished the whole first season."  He told me, "Good, at that pace you'll be caught up in no time." 

It's all kind of snowballed from that day back in welding class 2013.

sqtko.jpg

I think a lot of us can relate to that snowballing effect.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

sqtko.jpg

I think a lot of us can relate to that snowballing effect.

Ya, it started with watching the first season in 1 weekend and now I've gone so far as to paint my car like Rainbow Dash and my truck like my OC.  I get compliments from people on both of them, whether they know what it is or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I was very uncertain, because hearing a friend of mine was loving the show made me say out loud "A My Little Pony cartoon is actually good? You must be joking!" Considering the quality of the previous generations when I was a kid, it's understandable. Yet I watched and he was right... so I guess he had good taste.

That being said, the social ostracisation that came with it at first stopped me from really committing to being called one or supporting the show outright... and made me hold anyone who I knew liked it in contempt to some degree out of nervousness and embarrassment on my end. However meeting and befriending some Bronies outside the internet helped soften my stance and realise that yes, Bronies are awesome and like me; which for a socially anxious person was wholly beneficial.

Edited by Vocal Analyst

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I already knew the show from watching it with my little sister, and I kind of liked it, so the idea that it had a fandom didn't seen weird to me at all. I became so intrigued I watched the whole show and I've been a brony ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

One word: Perplexed. :blink: While I didn't hate them (surprising, considering my edgy phase), I was genuinely confused as to why they cared at all (let alone this much) about MLP. I understand why I do now, but that's besides the point. :fluttershy:

I had never heard of Bronies until well after I had stumbled across the show on TV. I told my brother about the cool show I'd discovered and he looked it up on the internet. He came back and told me there was a huge following of adult fans, largely male, called Bronies. I thought that was really intriguing and cool that the show had such a following in that kind of demographic. It still tickles me to this day. I have a lot of respect for people who embrace a cartoon intended for girls and enjoy it publicly. Very awesome. :pinkie:

tbh there wasnt one when i joined up. Bronies was a very new term. I started watching the show 2010/11 whenever Bridle Gossip originally aired. So bronies didnt become a mainstream thing until much later into S2. Ive just kinda morphed with the fandom and just gone along for the ride or added to the ride.

TBH 2014 was when the fandom really piqued. That has been the best year for bronies so far. The people were great fun and nice and the early cons were a blast! I do miss those days. Everythings kinda calmed down much more now.

My knowledge was rather limited as I didn't pay attention to the fandom much and ironically I actually thought the idea of watching a TV show for girls was childish but boy was I wrong XD 

One of my best friends liked the show, which amused me to no end because he tried so hard to come off as a tough, bad boy even though we were only 11-12 at the time. As for bronies other than him, I didn't really mind one way or another. Even as a kid, I had a 'to each their own' mindset, I just liked teasing them.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a bit of a jerk and thought it was worse than people thinking Cory in the House was an anime (which is an annoying joke) but I took the time to apologize and eventually became a brony myself in 2014

• Brohoof 1

My first view on Bronies? Well........ I honestly didn't really think a lot of them, I mean I knew that they were a thing but....... I just didn't really have any opinion on them one way or another. It wasn't until this time last year (2017) that I first started watching pony-related videos on YouTube, and from there it progressed into watching the actual show, and then it progressed into myself becoming a full-blown Brony after realizing how fun this fandom truly is :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I just didn't really think it was that special, I didn't understand nor try to understand but I didn't have anything against them. To me, they were just people liking a show, I don't really have an opinion on them, and I eventually got into the show, and I didn't really think it was anything special then either. :D