Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first view on Bronies

n00bUltima

They were alright. The threads on /co/ were fun. Then it got out of hand and I despised everything about them (still enjoyed the show). Things have calmed down now and all is good.

Well, I first was introduced to MLP because my little sister watched it. I actually had collectively seen about the first two seasons just by being in the same room as my sister while she watched TV (which made it easy to catch up on Netflix later when I started watching it myself). This was before I was aware of such a thing as a brony, so by the time I found out about Bronies, I was like "OK, I see why they like it". Even though I had seen a bit of the show, I hadn't actually watched it in my own time, nor was I a real fan until later on, but I was familiar enough with it to not think that Bronies were completely crazy.

I forgot about it for a while, but eventually regained some interest and, well, I think you know the rest.

Now that I am one, I can honestly say that I was wrong. Bronies ARE crazy. But you know... in a good way.

Edited by El Duderino

I knew before there were adult male fans of the show and I thought it was childish, I guess I considered such people to be "man-children" but said with a lot less hate and a lot more of "ehhh that's too weird" but I never heard of the 'bronies' until i finished the 3rd season and was thoroughly enjoying the show.

• Brohoof 1

That they were an odd mix between the Otaku & PowerPuff Girls fans, that were partially into it due to the popularity of all things retro at the time, but before things went full blown hipster (this was back in 2011-2012). 

Honestly, I learned of Bronies pretty much after I became one myself. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

I admit, I was actually somewhat fond of ponies before Friendship is Magic even existed. I even tried to make a 3D model of a G3 style pony once.

For the record, I never watched the G3 cartoons or had any interest in the toys (still don't). I just liked some of the character designs.

That said, it would have been rather hypocritical of me to hold a negative opinion of Bronies. I was more curious about them than anything else.

The very first time I heard of the term "Brony", I thought it was some national demonym or some sort of food. :P When I found out, I was a little puzzled but not too much. From what I knew up to that point, MLP was "eh", so I didn't pay any attention to it.

I already thought it was a pretty decent kids show before I knew there was a fandom, thanks to my kids watching it long before I ever did. When I first found out there was an adult fandom, I thought it was good that other people recognised it as a quality show, however when I found out how... enthusiastic, many of them were, I did find it way over the top. Some of the creative elements of the fandom were appreciated right from the start though so my feelings were mixed

I think in the end Bronies are like any large group of individuals, some people are awesome, some are complete asshats and/or weirdos, and many are somewhere inbetween. I did see a couple of youtube vids from people who were apparently "clopsexuals" and while I always maintain that people are entitled to their own likes and dislikes as long as they're harmless, the whole concept actually put me off watching the show or anything MLP related for some time. Likely because I appreciate it as something I can enjoy with my kids, so it's not an element of the fandom that I want to be reminded of.

I think at first I thought Bronies were just trolls, who posted pictures of ponies in forums and other places just to annoy people. Then I when I found out that the fandom was actually real, I suppose I thought it was a bit odd, but didn't really have any feelings one way or another.

Frankly, I'm not actually sure when I found out about bronies. I remember seeing my brother watching My Little Pony and me and my friend thought "What the hell are you doing."

I think I started watching it before I even knew that the bronies existed. I had no idea it was this huge until after I started watching the show.

So I guess my first view on bronies was "This is pretty cool!".

Honestly, I didn't even know such a fandom existed before I started watching the show.  Thus, I never had any view on the bronydom itself until I started watching the show.  

Before watching the show I think that I had only once ever seen a picture of an MLP pony once... (Rainbow Dash)... and I thought nothing of it whatsoever.

When I found the show through ironic means, I was hooked after watching the first two (pilot) episodes.  Sooo...

I guess you could say my first view on the fandom actually came after I had already seen the pilots!  And, that view was super positive  :) 

~ Miles

• Brohoof 2

If it wasn't for the existence of Bronies, I likely never would have watched a single episode of FIM.

I had heard of Bronies before and that they were grown men that really liked the newest generation of My Little Pony. I dismissed them as a bunch of weirdos, I mean a girls show couldn't be that good, could it? Then one day I stumbled across a Youtube video that was discussing the Brony phenomenon and it's impact on our changing definition of masculinity. For whatever reason it peaked my interest, so I watched a couple documentaries about Bronies on Youtube and Netflix.

I realized that I had more in common with these people than not and if they liked the show, then maybe I would too. The art looked good and the animation seemed to be well done so I figured "what the heck, I've got nothing to lose." The first 4 seasons were on Netflix, so I watched an episode, and then another... and another.

The rest is history, as they say.