Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You can never convert some people into a Brony.

Bendy

You can never convert some people into a Brony.

I'll be honest when I first heard of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic I thought "I would never watch that show."

Don't you agree you should not try convince someone to watch the show if they say that in bold above?

Anyway, this brings up a valid point. There are some people you can never, ever convince to watch or take any interest in MLP FIM whatsoever. They will say it's girly and that would be the end of it. There is pretty much no way you can convince them to take interest in MLP FIM. 

I was in the same boat, before I started to watch it myself, without outside influence other than what I hear on the Internet about how good the show is I started to take interest.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Why do people feel this compulsion to force others to watch something they watch? I don't care what the show is, it just annoys the mess out of people.

I was myself was luckily, pretty much nobody I knew is into MLP FIM.

I could not recall anyone I knew into MLP FIM. The only reason I took interest in it was how the Internet exploded with pony stuff.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 1

You do realise that you make this fandom seem like a cult when you use words such as "convert", right?

That's what some Bronies are up too though. I never, ever did anything like that, but I've seen quite a few Bronies try this kind of stuff on people.   

Convert is kind of not the word to use, I think... maybe "people who are nice about the show's existence, whether they're into it or not."

I don't mind if people are into other things. Even if it's something I don't really like. As long as no one forces it onto anyone else. Likewise, I wouldn't wanna force anything I like (like Mlp) on anybody. ^_^'

I don't see the point in trying to force people who don't like the show watch it. Even though there are anti-bronies who call the fandom 'gay,' forcing them to watch the show will not only most likely fail, but make the fandom seem more annoying. If they have no interest, then they won't watch it.

I can see why turning 'haters' into bronies might sound like a good idea, but it will most likely make things worse if you keep bothering them about it. Who knows, maybe the'll become curious one day and watch it.

Trying to force someone to like something usually only makes them hate it more. It might seem fun to see their reaction to it, but it doesn't exactly make things better. They might seem annoyed by it rather than become more interested.

I have a friend who is fully aware of how much I love the show, and she's totally cool with it. I've shown her a single clip of the show and she thought it was pretty funny. And that's it. I never make her watch anything with me, I never talk about it constantly, and I typically avoid talking about it around people who don't already like the show. That's the way every Brony should be.

Heck, the show is about love and toleration. We should be able to tolerate people who don't like us by now.

• Brohoof 1

Trying to force someone to like something usually only makes them hate it more. It might seem fun to see their reaction to it, but it doesn't exactly make things better. They might seem annoyed by it rather than become more interested.

No one is actually "forced" to watch the show. Unless you're being held against your will, then you don't have to watch anything. The reason people get so irritated by mlp, is because they already have preconceived ideas of it. It's because of this people can't have an open mind about watching the show. They think only creeps, or "confused adult men" watch the show. It's the flaw of any well-known fandom or community. Haters of said community, will fabricate lies or judge the group based off of a handful of individuals.

A common piece of "evidence" to prove bronies are all weird is Bronycon, but imagine if every brony went instead of the average 10,000. The people that manage to go to these events are either invited to attend, or people with enough money and free time to go, but only die-hard fans would be willing to pay more than $1,000 to attend (it's usually quite a bit more). The average brony is rarely ever seen or identified.

Undertale is going through the same thing. Even though it's really good, people refuse to even try it, because they don't want to be involved with "the terrible Undertale fandom".

• Brohoof 2

No one is actually "forced" to watch the show. Unless you're being held against your will, then you don't have to watch anything. The reason people get so irritated by mlp, is because they already have preconceived ideas of it. It's because of this people can't have an open mind about watching the show. They think only creeps, or "confused adult men" watch the show. It's the flaw of any well-known fandom or community. Haters of said community, will fabricate lies or judge the group based off of a handful of individuals.

A common piece of "evidence" to prove bronies are all weird is Bronycon, but imagine if every brony went instead of the average 10,000. The people that manage to go to these events are either invited to attend, or people with enough money and free time to go, but only die-hard fans would be willing to pay more than $1,000 to attend (it's usually quite a bit more). The average brony is rarely ever seen or identified.

Undertale is going through the same thing. Even though it's really good, people refuse to even try it, because they don't want to be involved with "the terrible Undertale fandom".

Look I hate to break it to you but people ARE forced to interact with mlp and other fandoms. Its almost impossible to go into some sections of the internet without seeing something from the brony fandom, or the Fnaf fandom, or the Sonic fandom, or now the Undertale fandom; Regardless of whether or not they actually want to see this stuff they find it being forced into their lives. 

People just looking through comment sections on youtube find references to these fandoms that seem almost out of nowhere accompanied by rabid flamewars over why they posted that. 

At the end of the day, their experiences with the fandom will make or break whether or not they will give them a chance. If that experience was having the stuff constantly memed at them when they don't want to interact with it you best believe some people would go full on aggressive against it. I'm not saying they are right, but there is a segment of the fandom that isn't helping matters any, and that is the aggressive "preachers of the message" 

• Brohoof 3

Look I hate to break it to you but people ARE forced to interact with mlp and other fandoms. Its almost impossible to go into some sections of the internet without seeing something from the brony fandom, or the Fnaf fandom, or the Sonic fandom, or now the Undertale fandom; Regardless of whether or not they actually want to see this stuff they find it being forced into their lives. 

People just looking through comment sections on youtube find references to these fandoms that seem almost out of nowhere accompanied by rabid flamewars over why they posted that. 

At the end of the day, their experiences with the fandom will make or break whether or not they will give them a chance. If that experience was having the stuff constantly memed at them when they don't want to interact with it you best believe some people would go full on aggressive against it. I'm not saying they are right, but there is a segment of the fandom that isn't helping matters any, and that is the aggressive "preachers of the message" 

I don't think seeing profile pictures and references are what angers most other people. And you also need to realize most people don't live on the internet.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think seeing profile pictures and references are what angers most other people. And you also need to realize most people don't live on the internet.

Well I would mention the others, but you can't talk about them on this site. Also anyone who'd actually be interested in the fandom would be on the internet.

• Brohoof 1

Look, I showed a few episodes to my little sister. She watched them with mild interest but she didn't like it, so I stopped talking about it around her. That's that. I didn't try to "convert" her, she was just curious as to why I liked it. When she saw it, she sorta understood why, but she didn't want to watch it because she thought some of the voices were annoying and that it was too brightly-colored (she has sensitive eyes).

The show's not for everyone. Assuming that everyone can and will like the same things you like is about as dumb as buying a sled in Florida.

• Brohoof 2

We are all here because we enjoy some aspect of the show and/or the fandom. Nobody is really going to argue this point because that is what this site is based around; a mutual enjoyment of the fandom/series. HOWEVER, as with any fandom, a section of the group believes that the entire population should be converted to the wonderfulness that is our particular fandom. They seem to believe that this is some kind of revolutionary movement and that nobody who really understood the virtues of following this piece of entertainment wouldn't count themselves among our ranks. 

Please allow me to put a bucket of cold water on this notion. 

Fandoms are by their very nature a Niche market. They appeal to specific groups of people with specific types of interests. Even huge communities like any of the Sports fandoms do not have every single human on the face of the planet counted among their ranks. People are allowed to and are encouraged to find their own things that they are interested in and should not be forced to conform to a specific set of interests.

That is what "Converting" is all about. You are trying to change them, make them conform to what you are interested in for what exactly? Personal validation? Going after people with that mindset is going to burn more bridges than they build, especially with things like the brony fandom. Lets be frank here, we've not exactly accrued the best of reps over the years, and adding onto that zealous people whom feel the need to try to get people to conform into our fandom is not going to help one bit.

The absolute best thing you can do for the fandom is to be casual about it. If someone asks you about it, by all means share! If they want some recommendations, give them those recommendations! If they tell you they are cool with bronies but they aren't interested, then for the love of Celestia just say "no prob man, you do your thing" or something to that effect. If the Fandom has an open door policy you better believe you will draw in way more people than if you try to "correct them of their heathen ways and try to get them to see the light"

We are not a religion, If we were I'd be against it. Enjoy the show and be friendly and non intrusive about it and people will just come of their own volition. I was not converted, I just said 'hey this looks pretty neat." after I read cupcakes. Nobody forced me to like the show, nobody tried to "convert me", I made the decision after I saw something that interested me. Please extend the same courtesy to others. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 12

Preach it. :P  (Sorry that was too corny, but I had to with the usage of "convert")

Anyway I wholehearted agree with all of your points, whether or not certain media/hobbies may be an obsession for some or merely a casual interest I can never understand why it is necessary to "convert" others. Is it a drive that others don't want to feel alone or share the experience of the fandom/ponies with others? I'm fine with introducing the show to someone and see if they like it, but forcing or converting someone to media is silly.

The value of mlp and the fandom may vary to someone else, but don't force it on others.

• Brohoof 2

https://mlpforums.com/topic/147007-you-can-never-convert-some-people-into-a-brony/?hl=convert#entry4367017

This is the thread I am referring too, I am not saying that this one shouldn't be up to, they just seemed kind of similar, but reading it that one seems to be about some people can't be converted and yours is about why should anyone be converted. 

Staying on topic though I think when people say convert most of the time they don't actually mean it in the way the word means but you are right, no one should be converted as it isn't some kinda cult, but it's harmless anyway, even if people do try to ''convert'' someone all the other person has to say is no lol 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/147007-you-can-never-convert-some-people-into-a-brony/?hl=convert#entry4367017

This is the thread I am referring too, I am not saying that this one shouldn't be up to, they just seemed kind of similar, but reading it that one seems to be about some people can't be converted and yours is about why should anyone be converted. 

Staying on topic though I think when people say convert most of the time they don't actually mean it in the way the word means but you are right, no one should be converted as it isn't some kinda cult, but it's harmless anyway, even if people do try to ''convert'' someone all the other person has to say is no lol 

Ah yes I see where the confusion came in. These are similar topics, but they are differentiated enough that they can stand on their own 

That is the problem with using jargon like "convert" though. That word has a very specific connotation to it that makes people think of cults or fringe movements, not a harmless show that you can hang out and chat about with some buddies. That is all a fandom is supposed to be, a place where you can chill and talk about common interests, maybe argue over which fictional character is best. Nobody needs to do a ritualistic initiation to get in the fandom lol. 

• Brohoof 2

I think that most of the people that try to "convert" people into becoming a Brony do have good intentions. They have found something that love, and I think they assume that everyone else would love that thing too if they could just understand what it is that they see in it.

Problem is that some people don't seem to understand that different people like different things, and when you try to force someone to get into something they aren't interested in, it will likely have the opposite effect.

• Brohoof 3