Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You can never convert some people into a Brony.

Bendy

It's true actually. Some people really can't become bronies because they watch the show and then it turns out it just isn't their thing. Same way with every show. No show is going to be able to please everyone. Because everyone will always have different tastes and opinions about everything.

To be honest, I'll never understand this whole "I must convert you to the herd" trend...

The Brony fandom is not an organized religion, there is no need to try and "convert" people to the fandom. If somebody wants to join, let them join of their own accord.

Yes, some people want nothing to do with MLP or the fandom, I can respect that, just as long as they aren't being a bunch of jerks about it.

To be honest, I'll never understand this whole "I must convert you to the herd" trend...

It's not a trend though. It's very normal for people to share and discuss things they find interesting. Plenty of my friends are interested in things I don't care about, and yet they continue to talk to me about it. If it's something they think I'll like, then they'll continue to pester me about it, until I give it a shot. I don't find this annoying or offensive in anyway. And this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think a majority of people on this website are very sensitive, especially on topics such as this.

Side note: The use of the term "convert" in this discussion doesn't even make any sense. Why do people continue to use it? 

• Brohoof 2

No, they are the kind to use a homophobic slur if one so much dares watch anything considered girly. Youtube comments... random Brony haters. Don't know them personally, but that's them in a nutshell.

I know my friends for a fact just laughed me for liking My Little Pony for a little while. They stopped after a few days and ones who continued to mock be were told to shut up by other friends.

My point is that introducing people to the show is not some horrible thing as so many on this thread and a certain unfairly think so.

Well first off, I think "converting" someone to watch the show is going to give more than a few people the wrong impression. All joking aside, it's not the unspoken goal of the fandom to have everyone in the world become a Brony. I'd say we've already done more than enough in making a big enough impression as is upon the internet community, for the better or worse, no one can say we're not relevant.

But getting back to topic, none of my personal close friends have shown any interest in the show, but does that mean I try and force them to change their mindset? Nope. I still display all my pony merch within my room and make very clear my own stance with it, but they simply choose to remain indifferent, and that's fine. There are many others I can come and talk to about the show when I desire, it's precisely what these forums are for.

I enjoy the show, and I'm happy to be a part of such a wonderful community, but that doesn't mean I feel the need to shove it into everyone else's face like it's the best thing since sliced bread. If they become curious and ask me about why I enjoy it, then I'll tell them. But if they show no genuine interest, so be it. To each his own as they say.

My point is that introducing people to the show is not some horrible thing as so many on this thread and a certain unfairly think so.

Introducing is fine. Aggressive attempts at trying to convert people are NOT. Its the jargon and the mindset behind it that is drawing the opposition not the idea of bringing people into the fandom. You could try to tell me this isn't the case and that "nobodies trying to aggressively convert people" but I've been around long enough to see it with my own two eyes, not just with this fandom but with all fandoms I've been apart of.

Take the Undertale fandom; right now they are being absolutely insufferable with the amount of campaigning they are doing to get people to like their game. I can't tell you how many times I've seen flamewars ALREADY over some random guy typing "undertale sux" in a comment section followed by sixty replies of "NO ITS NOT AND YUR BAD N'STUFF!!! DX"  

Heavens forbids a Letsplayer doesn't find it fun, that's a surefire way to get spammed with dislikes and hate comments of people saying "u just din't geddit!!" 

I love undertale, but good god Fandom growing pains are irritating. 

Bronies had (and to some extent still do) this going on as well. The constant posting about ponies everywhere that it wasn't wanted, the flame wars, the memes, It was a major campaign. Sure it gained a lot of people, but I know just as many that swore off the fandom because of how "toxic" it had become.  This is why using jargon like "convert" should REALLY be frowned upon, because it hearkens back to the aggressive pushes that ended up earning the Fandom its bad rep in the first place. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 3

@@Buck Testa,

And if the person, such as RyaN was, simply asking for an episode to introduce a friend to the show but simply called it "conversion" without knowing YOUR history with that word? That's excuse for his own side to jump down his throat for the sake of saving face?

@@Buck Testa,

And if the person, such as RyaN was, simply asking for an episode to introduce a friend to the show but simply called it "conversion" without knowing YOUR history with that word? That's excuse for his own side to jump down his throat for the sake of saving face?

Introducing and Converting are not synonymous. This isn't my personal history this is literal interpretations of their respective definitions. The words we choose are important when conveying a message to someone, and using jargon like Convert is going to needlessly raise red flags with people; especially when there are plenty out there that mean "converting" in the most literal sense of the word and not as a substitute for "introducing."

Also I'm not saving face, I believe I'm entirely right on this matter. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

Introducing and Converting are not synonymous. This isn't my personal history this is literal interpretations of their respective definitions. The words we choose are important when conveying a message to someone, and using jargon like Convert is going to needlessly raise red flags with people; especially when there are plenty out there that mean "converting" in the most literal sense of the word and not as a substitute for "introducing."

Also I'm not saving face, I believe I'm entirely right on this matter. 

I think you are correct as well, the words we choose do matter, but have you NEVER used the wrong word in a conversation?

Bronies had (and to some extent still do) this going on as well. The constant posting about ponies everywhere that it wasn't wanted, the flame wars, the memes, It was a major campaign. Sure it gained a lot of people, but I know just as many that swore off the fandom because of how "toxic" it had become.  This is why using jargon like "convert" should REALLY be frowned upon, because it hearkens back to the aggressive pushes that ended up earning the Fandom its bad rep in the first place. 

You can't blame someone for expressing themselves on the internet. Whether it's through beautiful artwork or ridiculous memes, everyone has the ability to do this. The minority of bronies who pester people to no end, and won't stop when asked, are reasonably in the wrong. Bronies only do this with people they like or admire, so the individual on the other end should respect that and watch one episode; say it's not to their liking, and end it there. If the brony continues, it's up to the other person to grow a spine and say something.

Realistically the community's reputation is quite good. I've met plenty of people who don't have a problem with bronies, despite being around several. The problem isn't the fandom. It's the internet. Everyone talks down to one another,and if it's someone in a community,they talk down themselves at the same time to seem humble. It's absolutely ridiculous. No one has a spine anymore.

What this boils down to, is that this is just how the internet functions. People being thrown together on mass-media websites like YouTube, and yelling at one another. It's like sharing a room with someone you don't get along with. 

And another thing...

Bronies enjoy announcing that stuff for some reason.  It's almost like they're bragging.  They must be really proud of themselves.

It's good that they announce it though, because then girls know to avoid them.

And they blame the art/ponies instead of themselves, like they cannot take responsibility for their own actions.  Bahaha.

This made me laugh out loud, in a good way x) 

I think you are correct as well, the words we choose do matter, but have you NEVER used the wrong word in a conversation?

Sure! Hell sometimes I still make the occasional homophone error now and again, but I correct them as soon as they are pointed out. Using the right words is important, even if no one is perfect at it. 

• Brohoof 3

Sure! Hell sometimes I still make the occasional homophone error now and again, but I correct them as soon as they are pointed out. Using the right words is important, even if no one is perfect at it. 

That's all my point is. We should keep in mind that the speaker could have just used the wrong word. Take the time and talk to them about their intent, why they want to introduce a friend and bring him into the fold, and how they intend to go about it. You know, treat them with some amount of friendship before condemning them simply on the grounds of their word choice.

• Brohoof 3

The minority of bronies who pester people to no end, and won't stop when asked, are reasonably in the wrong. Bronies only do this with people they like or admire, so the individual on the other end should respect that and watch one episode; say it's not to their liking, and end it there. If the brony continues, it's up to the other person to grow a spine and say something.  

Realistically the community's reputation is quite good. I've met plenty of people who don't have a problem with bronies, despite being around several. The problem isn't the fandom. It's the internet. Everyone talks down to one another,and if it's someone in a community,they talk down themselves at the same time to seem humble. It's absolutely ridiculous. No one has a spine anymore.  

What this boils down to, is that this is just how the internet functions. People being thrown together on mass-media websites like YouTube, and yelling at one another. It's like sharing a room with someone you don't get along with. 

I agree with a lot of this. The Bronies rep has definitely improved quite a bit; I'd attribute that to the aforementioned growing pains. When it was first starting out that minority of really aggressive individuals were quite noisy, but overtime its cooled off quite a bit. I have a feeling some of them even migrated to other fandoms that were new and shiny. The Undertale and other fandoms are going to have a similar thing happen after awhile. 

Its also not like I have a problem with memes or art myself, I love that stuff, but when it placed into places that its not welcome It will understandably get flack for it. 

I do however think there is a difference between "talking down to each other" and talking about treating others with respect involving their personal decisions. If someone expresses they aren't interested in the show people need to respect that. 

• Brohoof 1