Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Friendship Games Shining Armor too big of a jerk?

ggg-2

Is Friendship Games Shining Armor too big of a jerk?  

14 users have voted

1. 1. Is Friendship Games Shining Armor too big of a jerk?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I was surprised to see Shining Armor in Friendship Games, but unfortunately he came off as a bit of a jerk to me. Was it the same to you?

Edited by ggg-2

He did seem like a bit of a jerk. However this Shining Armor grew up in a different world, and is a different person from the Shining Armor we know from the pony world, so I don't think it is that surprising that he would act differently than pony Shining Armor.

• Brohoof 6

Yes. The real Shining Armor would've respected Twilight's decision to not want to take part in the Friendship Games. For him to peer pressure her is extremely out of character of him.

He did seem like a bit of a jerk. However this Shining Armor grew up in a different world, and is a different person from the Shining Armor we know from thee pony world, so I don't think it is that surprising that he would act differently than pony Shining Armor.

True, but most others that are based on canon ponies have more or less the same personalities as their counterparts.

True, but most others that are based on canon ponies have more or less the same personalities as their counterparts.

Well, given the fact that Crystal Prep, though being the Crystal Empire's EQG counterpart, is nowhere near as nice (I don't remember seeing crystal ponies act like elites), it makes sense. 

• Brohoof 2

Didn't see what he did wrong, all he said was that it would be good for her to participate in the game. All the peer pressure came from Cinch

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

Umm...I've just notice something, in Equestria he's married to Cadance but in the human world, he's not and Cadance is a lot older than him. :eww:

It's explicitly said that he's actually an alumnus, not a present student.

I must of miss that. It was probably because he appeared to look younger than Cadance in that brief scene.

• Brohoof 1

I must of miss that. It was probably because he appeared to look younger than Cadance in that brief scene.

Only because she has that unfitting lipstick that Celestia and Luna also have.

Cinch, however, manages to look good in hers.

• Brohoof 1

It wasn't a surprise he acted differently from his pony counterpart, but he didn't seem to be endearing towards Twilight or respect her decision to opt out of the Friendship Games.

It just shows you how going to a toxic school like Crystal Prep, a school run by an awful principal, can effect you. Shining Armor was quite the D, and I blame Cinch.

• Brohoof 1

The Blu-ray audio commentary pointed out that originally Human Shining Armor was going to be a huge jerk, but the makers toned him down. The Shiney we see in the film is kind, if a little arrogant due to Cinch's influence. Most fanfics I've read had Shining Armor "disown" his status as an alumnus after hearing what Cinch did to his sister!

If anything, he spent most of the scene sneaking love glances with Dean Cadance.

Heck, Cinch asked Dean Cadance and Shining to get her contact sheet for the Everton Independent Study Program so they wouldn't be able to know that Cinch's hanging Sci-Twi's acceptance into the program to coax her into the Games. If he knew all along Cinch was threating to deny Twilight's application and did nothing, THEN I would call him a jerk.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, he is. Why? Because of this:

Cinch: You competed in the games, did you not?

Shining Armor: (Ahem) I did.

Cinch: And did you happen to recall who won those games?

Armor: Crystal Prep did. We always win.

Yep. You're a jerk, my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what happens when you win a game every four years. You get cocky.

he's stating a fact

How does this make him a jerk?

Yeah, he did come across as a bit of a jerk, but we'll see what happens in Camp Everfree. Chances of him showing up again are pretty high, so maybe something will happen there that explains it?

Ah, I made a blog post on this issue.

Yeah, he's an alumnus however do keep in mind he participated four years prior and Cadence is in a pretty high up position in school administration which would take quite a number of years to get to and if she were Shining Armor's age she'd probably still be in University rather than a dean. So...

hqdefault.jpgcougar.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Ehhh similar but not an exact one to one. The EQG Dash, at least at first, was a bit more of a show off and narcissistic than the one we know. (At least at first.) Rarity is even more of a prima dona in EQG than in Equestria. As already pointed out, nurture has affected their nature. The ponies in Equestria have jobs, responsibilities, and adventures that have lead them to grow as people. In comparison, at the start of the first movie, the high school counterparts are just that, high schoolers. 

I don't understand how people could see him as a jerk just from one line such as "we always win". They literally did always win,he was stating a fact.

It's because of how smugly and cockily he says it, no humility to it all.

Even if you win all the time its not exactly polite to state that it comes off as gloating, that being said hes not wrong and he could just be simply more logically minded and not thinking about the other connotations to what he said. 

So i dont think hes a jerk, but he sure isn't ghandi. 

Chances of him showing up again are pretty high, so maybe something will happen there that explains it?

Maybe. I think if Shining was to return, it seems odd that they would make his Equestria Girls appearance into a one note character for what brief time he had. I don't know if he's a "jerk" but he did sound arrogant, even if his attitude was backed by a legacy of success.