Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how tall are ponies?

steelhoof

Hey Steelhoof. This is truly a vitally important question. I found an interesting diagram that uses the information we are provided in the show and extrapolates it to conclude that the average pony is about 3'5" tall, a big pony, e.g. Big Mac, is about 4'5" tall, and Celestia is about 4'10" tall.

I have not reached the point where I am allowed to attach the image in this post but I have a link to it right here...

http://postimg.org/image/n35621939/

Regards,

Marxy

• Brohoof 3

I believe there have been scenes that imply they're around 3 to 3.5 feet tall (if you compare their sizes to other animals and creatures, it puts them right around this height).

Hey Steelhoof. This is truly a vitally important question. I found an interesting diagram that uses the information we are provided in the show and extrapolates it to conclude that the average pony is about 3'5" tall, a big pony, e.g. Big Mac, is about 4'5" tall, and Celestia is about 4'10" tall.

I have not reached the point where I am allowed to attach the image in this post but I have a link to it right here...

http://postimg.org/image/n35621939/

Regards,

Marxy

Nice chart! I would use this if you wanted to know their actual size. My personal head-cannon has always been that the ponies are around the same size as dogs irl. It would be the perfect size to snuggle up with them  :wub:

Yeah, they're about 3 feet tall. Like in the image below, a giant candy cane was revealed to be 8 feet tall, thus giving us a pony ruler of sorts.

This is the image: 

How_big_ponies_are.png

Edited by DerpyFIM4
  • Brohoof 5

Where'd you get these numbers from?

Also, this is THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE. I LOST MY MUFFIN RANK!!!!!!!!

Edit from 10 months later: can't believe people are still reading and brohoofing this ages-old post xD

Edited by DerpyFIM4
  • Brohoof 2

Where'd you get these numbers from?

Also, this is THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE. I LOST MY MUFFIN RANK!!!!!!!!

Heard several people talking about it someplace else.

Wow, After posting this I lost my muffin rank. lol

Edited by Icy Wind

Most ponies are about 10-14 hands, any bigger and its classified as a horse. Since standard G4s are just a little taller then a G1 baby, I'd say they compare to Fallabellas or miniature horses. Aka you could put a leash on them and lead them around like you would a golden retriever.

ETA:

Fallabellas are 8 hands so 32 inches at the top of the shoulder.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Horses are measured in an archaic unit called a hand.  1 hand = 1 decimeter = 4  inches.  Horses are NOT measured at the top of their head, but "across the withers (front shoulders) at the lowest point of the mane."  (Maybe it is easier to get a horse to hold their shoulders still.  If that ain't it, then IDKY).  Ponies are simply small horses (under 14 hands).  AFAIK this is completely arbitrary & has no reason why.

Trying to compare MLP to other stuff is hard.  For instance, according to Wikipedia (that invaluable compendium of meaningless trivia & drivel) Apple trees are kept trimmed to between 10 - 20 feet (easier to harvest).  Comparing Octavia to her cello, they come in many sizes & some are twice the size of others.  + they have an adjustable peg

Shetland ponies are the smallest breed at 7-11 hands.  The consensus seems to be "around the bottom end of that size".  However, if you look up "dwarf horses", they look more like MLPs & they can be smaller

I once saw a post saying that going by gem sizes, the ponies are about the size of a Bumble Bee, which is why Pegasi can fly.  This would make Breezies about the size of a flea & Celestia maybe the size of a very small Chihuahua puppy

Edited by sweetolebob18

Going by the chart posted above, then the fillies must be really small and cute. >3< Comparatively to human size that is. I have seen the topic of this come up several times before and each time I am amazed by the stats that others are able to conjure. It would overload my brain. XD

Yeah, they're about 3 feet tall. Like in the image below, a giant candy cane was revealed to be 8 feet tall, thus giving us a pony ruler of sorts.

This is the image: 

sig-4372936.How_big_ponies_are.png

*GASP*

That candy cane is measured incorrectly!!!

That can corrupt data!

• Brohoof 1

How tall are ponies? They're smaller than horses I'd say about as big as donkeys maybe about 4 to 5 feet tall. Eh Google it if you want an honest answer. I'm merely guessing because I've seen ponies they look like pint sized horses. I'm not referring to that "dwarf pony" either. 

Ah, but who's to say that a foot in their world has anything whatsoever to do with a foot in ours?  If their world was real, we'd have no way of knowing what the proportions would be with respect to ours.  It's like when aliens in Star Wars/Trek talk about days and years.  It's just sort of universally overlooked that those units of measure would be completely different for other planets.  Perhaps Pipsqueak would dwarf the Empire State Building, or perhaps their entire galaxy would fit in an ornament on my house cat's collar.  (But yeah, 3 feet in our world sounds about right.)

• Brohoof 1

Though some might say you could see the size of our world's ponies as a reference to the size of MLP ponies..

But though that might give an estimation, that size is still too big.. Because "My little pony" ponies are little.. Thus, "My LITTLE pony" :P

EDIT: But that does tell us that they would very likely be shorter than real life ponies.. and thus shorter than us.. :huh:

I imagine standard MLP ponies are probably waist height on an average adult human, such as myself.. But i could be wrong..

Who knows.. They might not come up to my waist.. in fact I might come up to their waist :lol: Or even their knee or something :P

Also it would be good to measure them in Meters too,

Though their origin is based on America and stuff,

most of the world doesn't use the imperial system anymore..

So a measurement of both meters and feet would be best.. ;)

Edited by AURAequine

Common sense does. That candy cane looked like it could be 8 feet

What DerpyFIM4 means is, that from perspective that might seem like 8 feet.. but what if it were actually 80 feet and the ponies were actually 10 times the size as expected? as is the rest of their world.. Could they possibly be giants?

Or even could their world possibly be miniature? Could the Candy cane actually be 8 Inches? and the ponies are teeny tiny? :huh:

That'd be cute.. :wub:   Little ponies with the size of my mouse on my desk :lol:

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1