Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike was a bit too comfortable being a dog

cider float

In equestria he is a servant with a ton of chores and responsibilities. He's tugged between the pony world and his own heritage. He constantly has to struggle between Greed built into his very nature and the Generosity that was nurtured into him. 

In the Eqg world, the only thing he needs to do is act like a pet. I dare say that's a vacation for the little guy. 

• Brohoof 10

He was too busy dealing with Twilight's mental breakdown about becoming a different species to have his own.

I mean he liked getting pet by Twilight and wanted Rarity to scratch behind his ears in a very intimate way.

When Twi is freaking out, he's able to ignore his own issues, to be the voice of reaon for Twilight. He's comfortable with being a dog because Twilight's worse off, and unable to deal with it, and so Spike puts her concerns before his own, and just doesn't think on it too much to worry about himself

Remember the scene in Rainbow Rocks during the slumber party? When he's got Fluttershy cuddling him like there was no tomorrow as they slept? Yeah, he's not gonna complain.

As someone else mentioned, he probably thought being able to just pretend to be a dog was a vacation considering what Twilight puts him through.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I mean Twilight could hardly move around as a human, and Spike is just fine. Maybe there's evidence somewhere that he's used to dealing with living in a different form?

• 4 years later...

It kind of bothered me that he completely brushed aside the issue of he doesn't get to be human there.
With how its really unfair, how it hinders him and the fact it implies he's more of a pet to Twilight and others than equals to them.
In the long-run, he shouldn't brushed that aside honestly..