Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Otherkin Bronies?

Lonk Chase

I never really understood the entire "otherkin" thing and "I identify as a rain cloud" etc. lol

I never really understood the entire "otherkin" thing and "I identify as a rain cloud" etc. lol

As near as I can figure out, it's people who almost certainly do not suffer from delusional disorder pretending that they do suffer from delusional disorder.  Because within certain online communities (you know the one I mean), apparently pretending to be mentally ill is trendy.

• Brohoof 7

Oh boy, another thread about otherkins. I can't wait for all of the funny and totally original posts making fun of them (and tumblr for some unknown reason). 

Seriously though, this isn't the craziest thing that has come out of this fandom so I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually believed that they are a pony in a human body. 

• Brohoof 4

I don't know of any in particular, but I know there's some crazy bronies out there. I wouldn't be surprised.

I really don't wanna talk bad about them, mostly because I'm one of them, but...

https://hypnoponies.net/

They don't actually believe that they're MLP characters, do they? They just fantasize about it, right?

Edited by Grepper
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know of any in particular, but I know there's some crazy bronies out there. I wouldn't be surprised.

They don't actually believe that they're MLP characters, do they? They just fantasize about it, right?

They are a hypnosis group. About MLP. And they believe that their hypnosis files work so much that they put warnings on the sign-up and you cannot use the files without signing up.

I also believe that someone put one of their files online on YouTube, and they tried to get it taken down because it was dangerous.

• Brohoof 1

They are a hypnosis group. About MLP. And they believe that their hypnosis files work so much that they put warnings on the sign-up and you cannot use the files without signing up.   I also believe that someone put one of their files online on YouTube, and they tried to get it taken down because it was dangerous.

WE GOT A SECRET FBI AREA-51 CONSPIRACY IN OUR HANDS

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

sorry 

I have a friend who's otherkin. She believes she's a Unicorn stuck as a human on earth, waiting to transform back into a Unicorn. However, she's a very reasonable person and very open to discussion, and she'll often point out that it's no more ridiculous than thinking there's a magic man in the sky with an incomprehensible plan, but he MAY change said plan if you ask him nicely enough. She believes her intelligence, awesomeness, etc are due to being a member of the superior Unicorn species, but she isn't a jerk about it, and she can accept when people are as good as or better than her. She admires the human spirit, and she knows they can do better. She also thinks the losers on tumblr that loudly tell everyone how they identify as a rain cloud, star, plant, or made-up word/concept are attention-seeking human idiots that desperately want to be as special as the media convinced them they need to be if they want to be real people, and not filthy common un-special unimportant normies. Even though they are nothing more than a weaker variant of normie, just as stupid but with a big hole in their head and heart they need to fill with the attention and "omg i luv u ur bootiful dont give up" posts from others. I'd never put things so bluntly, but... yeah.

Edited by SilverStarApple
  • Brohoof 6

Rather weird, I can't understand the factors in play to make one believe in such. The mind is complex, however to believe in such you must either really want to be such(To the point of deluding yourself) or be under the mercy of some disorder. To me it doesn't make sense, especially considering how complex and diverse are minds are, but partial of that may be to my lack of belief in a deity/soul/etc.

• Brohoof 2

I knew that, but does people really think that they are fictional animals in the body of an human?

It goes deeper than just that.

http://otherkin.wikia.com/wiki/Fictionkin

They aren't limited to animals, I have seen tweets floating around from "The 10th Doctor" trapped in a human body. They were......interesting to say the least

Edited by QuirkyUsername
  • Brohoof 5

I am not one of those guys but personally I think that is a little immature, there is something called roleplay but I personally think that a grown person who thinks they are an actual horse is a little "unique" in the scary way.

Otherkin started out as a way to mock transgender people. I doubt anyone seriously identifies as otherkin unless they have a delusional disorder. 

I do imagine that I have wings, but I don't actually believe I have wings. Having wings would be cool, but I know I can't fly. I can only dream. I also often imagine that I'm different animals and imagine that I'm a shape shifter. I don't believe I'm the animals I imagine myself as, so I'm not otherkin. 

• Brohoof 4

I have a rather peculiar stance on this topic

While I'm sure there are plenty of "Otherkin" that are just doing it to get attention on tumblr, I also think that this might be a precursor to a major development in the few decades.

See, We are currently investing a lot of money into figuring out how the brain works, and there is an operation that is going to happen in 2017 where a man's head is going to be placed onto an entirely different body (his current body is heavily disabled and he is willing to risk his life for a functional body). The relevance of this is that "We" are inside our brains. In other words, the only thing you need to be "you" is your brain (and theoretically maybe not even that). Considering the development of technology and its gradual integration with human biology, someone who identifies as something other than human could theoretically become that thing.

There is a small but growing number of people who are tired of being, well, human. This otherkin thing, at least in some cases, might be an extension of this idea. Personally I welcome it, as I'd gladly upgrade if I had the means to do so. We are already conceding the point that people are not always born with the right "body", which is where the Transgender issue stems from. One day it might be as easy to get a new body as it is to get a new car; who says that these bodies would have to conform to the bipedal model we've had so far? 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 7

Rather weird, I can't understand the factors in play to make one believe in such. The mind is complex, however to believe in such you must either really want to be such(To the point of deluding yourself) or be under the mercy of some disorder. To me it doesn't make sense, especially considering how complex and diverse are minds are, but partial of that may be to my lack of belief in a deity/soul/etc.

I'm of the view that the vast majority of these people do not genuinely believe in such.  If they do it for a roleplay style thing, then that's fair enough.  Similarly, if they're picking an arbitrary animal or other being that they feel somehow reflects their own personality as a totem animal of sorts, then that also is fair enough.

But anyone not suffering from a genuine case of delusional disorder who claims to actually believe that they have the soul of an Elf, Dragon, wolf or whatever else, is just trying far too hard to stand out as an individual.  They probably feel that when they see other people on various social sites collecting labels like Pokemon cards that they need to try that much harder, and push on the boundaries of 'normal' to stand out from the crowd.

Of course by using that school of thought they just end up looking like pretentious edgelords.  People would take them more seriously if they realised that the best way to express your individuality is just to be yourself, and not by jumping onto every ridiculous trend, fad and bandwagon going.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 6

I have actually come across ponykin in my exploration of the pit of the insanity that is tumblr. The blog I remember seeing doesn't seem to exist anymore. Although I can't be bothered to look for ponykin I do know of a blog with someone claiming they are Bubbles from powerpuff girls. If you're interested I'll just leave a link to that right here:

http://twooppressedkins.tumblr.com/