Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lesser-Known Games That You Like

Castle Bleck

Among my favorites would probably be Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64, and I never actually got to play it until fairly recently when I got to own a N64. I remember looking at screenshots from magazines back in the 90s and the graphics & overall style of the game were very reminiscent of Spyro the Dragon. When I finally got to play it the game was actually REALLY fun. Maybe somewhat repetitive, but that's usually a thing with platformers.

Another I would like to mention is the WRPG Dragon's Dogma. While not as entirely well put together as the likes of Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, or the Witcher, the gameplay is solid, the monster battles are among the best (if not THE best), and the journey was fun. Very enjoyable.

• Brohoof 2

Am I the only one today who plays the original PSP (Playstation Portable)? Basically EVERY game on this console is underrated. Games like Wipeout Pulse, which is a futuristic ship racing game, Test Drive Unlimited, which is another racing game that takes place in all of Hawaii, and Tekken Dark Ressurection, which is the least popular instalment of this fighting game franchise.

attachicon.gifsony-psp-firmware-50.jpg

I still don't have enough money for a PS Vita.

I know how you feel dude, I still play mine!

• Brohoof 2

I play a lot of games that are lesser known. Most recently I just got through Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time. Good luck finding anyone who knows those games exist. :lol:

Yay! I'm not alone! The only person I knew who still plays a PSP is my best friend, but now, I realise that I'm not alone. :)

I, too, play my PSP semi-regularly. Growlanser, as mentioned above, is a PSP game.

My favorite game in my favorite franchise is also on PSP. Wild Arms XF. :D

• Brohoof 2

I play a lot of games that are lesser known. Most recently I just got through Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time. Good luck finding anyone who knows those games exist. :lol:

I, too, play my PSP semi-regularly. Growlanser, as mentioned above, is a PSP game.

My favorite game in my favorite franchise is also on PSP. Wild Arms XF. :D

Wild Arms is a fantatic example of an under rated RPG serie. That being said, I would say my favorite under rated game would be Xenogears. It was an absolutely amazing game for one. For two, it was originally going to be Final Fantasy 7, as the original dev team working on 7 planned it out to be this way, but the story was far too dark and grim to be FF7 so they changed it up, and made Xenogears its own game. Also, the most important bit here from me, is that I personally believe it is more deserving of a remake than FF7. FF7 is wonderful don't get me wrong, but I adored Xenogears so very much, and it was and still is a very unique game.

Braid is one of my fav games of all time! :D  It's a well-balanced mix of puzzle solving and good ol' platform game. Plus the plot is really nice (with a massive twist at the end!)

post-14850-0-29572200-1455701347_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

They're not exactly that lesser-known, but not largely-known either. My top favorite one would be Serious Sam, loved it as a kid, love it now. :P There's also Revenge of the Titans, and even though it's very difficult, I love the aesthetics~ (And the gameplay of course!)

Ōkami. It has very pretty graphics, it has a decent story, it has wonderful characters and it also has some of the best video game music I've ever heard. Although it did get critical acclaim from critics as well as a sequel, Ōkami is unfortunately a commercial failure. As a result, not many people have heard of this game before. Thankfully though, it is picking up in popularity these days, so I'm hoping it'll eventually get recognised by many other people.

That, and Drawn To Life. Although it wasn't a commercial failure like Ōkami, a lot of people don't seem to ever talk about how good of a game it really is. Although it was pretty much your standard platformer in some aspects, the fact that you can draw your own playable character and obstacles is tonnes of fun. The story and the characters weren't half bad either. This game was pretty much overshadowed by a similar game released by the same developers called Scribblenauts, but I can see why that game is more popular than Drawn To Life.

• Brohoof 2

Wild Arms is a fantatic example of an under rated RPG serie. That being said, I would say my favorite under rated game would be Xenogears. It was an absolutely amazing game for one. For two, it was originally going to be Final Fantasy 7, as the original dev team working on 7 planned it out to be this way, but the story was far too dark and grim to be FF7 so they changed it up, and made Xenogears its own game. Also, the most important bit here from me, is that I personally believe it is more deserving of a remake than FF7. FF7 is wonderful don't get me wrong, but I adored Xenogears so very much, and it was and still is a very unique game.

I've never seen anyone say Xenogears was underrated before now, in all honesty. In all the circles I go to it's one of the most praised games of all time. :lol:

I enjoyed it while I played it but couldn't bring myself to finish it. The ending had too much of a difficulty curve for how little freedom they gave you. I ended up stuck on a fight I couldn't grind for because I was closed off from the world map. I was only one or two dungeons away from the end though and know how it ends so I'm satisfied.

I've never seen anyone say Xenogears was underrated before now, in all honesty. In all the circles I go to it's one of the most praised games of all time. :lol:

I enjoyed it while I played it but couldn't bring myself to finish it. The ending had too much of a difficulty curve for how little freedom they gave you. I ended up stuck on a fight I couldn't grind for because I was closed off from the world map. I was only one or two dungeons away from the end though and know how it ends so I'm satisfied.

Perhaps its just in my general area. I often times find few people around my living space have played or heard of it, and more than half of those who have tend to berate it. Still though, it is always good to know others out there see what a gem it really is. I remember back when I was younger and got stuck in a situation like that near the end. A number of years later I went back and played through the game in its entirety and was able to beat it. It is also an early inspiration of my deep rooted love for things mecha. Because if life gives you lemons, destroy it with a giant robot. Actually, I think that was my favorite thing about the game though. It had such a fast paced combat system, but it held together so well, unlike many attempts in newer RPGs where the combat either makes no sense, its just automated, or simply feels clunky.

Another I would like to mention is the WRPG Dragon's Dogma. While not as entirely well put together as the likes of Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, or the Witcher, the gameplay is solid, the monster battles are among the best (if not THE best), and the journey was fun. Very enjoyable.

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma! The monster battles are pure epicness! And don't forget about Grigori, one of the most epic fictional dragons ever! Kinda helps he's got truly epic speeches with a great voice too 

• Brohoof 2

Among my favorites would probably be Space Station Silicon Valley for the N64, and I never actually got to play it until fairly recently when I got to own a N64. I remember looking at screenshots from magazines back in the 90s and the graphics & overall style of the game were very reminiscent of Spyro the Dragon. When I finally got to play it the game was actually REALLY fun. Maybe somewhat repetitive, but that's usually a thing with platformers.

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma! The monster battles are pure epicness! And don't forget about Grigori, one of the most epic fictional dragons ever! Kinda helps he's got truly epic speeches with a great voice too

I'm actually finishing up Dragon's Dogma right now. I just have to speed through NG++ to get to the Grigori fight to get the last achievement for accepting his deal and I'll have all the achievements.

In a lot of ways I'd consider it better than other games of the sort. Namely having a much less open world and combat that gives you a lot of control without the clunkiness that usually comes with it.

I do know one game that i did start to like that is lessor known is a game called Live a Live, which is a lesser known RPG by Square that was only released in japan, and much of the game was good.

I dunno if it'd be fair to count that against most people though. If it was never released out of Japan than most people won't even get the chance to know it. It's not like a lot of other games that have been out for years worldwide and still don't have more than a few thousand fans across the globe.

Am I the only one today who plays the original PSP (Playstation Portable)? Basically EVERY game on this console is underrated. Games like Wipeout Pulse, which is a futuristic ship racing game, Test Drive Unlimited, which is another racing game that takes place in all of Hawaii, and Tekken Dark Ressurection, which is the least popular instalment of this fighting game franchise.

attachicon.gifsony-psp-firmware-50.jpg

I still don't have enough money for a PS Vita.

I have a PSP too. (2001 model.) It's the newest portable console I own. All I play on it is Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and retro games in emulators. I can't say I play many obscure games on it, though.

• Brohoof 1

The original Battleship on the PC. Spent hours on that as a kid. Good graphics for it's time. As well as Transformers: Beast Wars, both the PC TPS game and the console based fighting game. 

A game from the age of the space combat games was Colony Wars for the PS1. Flew over my head as kid, but it still holds up now, where you play as a fighter pilot for the league of free worlds, as you battle the navy of the Earth Empire, hellbent on sustaining their system on your resources. A game rich in lore, a variety of fighters to choose from, and a branching campaign with multiple endings over two discs. Remember those days? 

Quite a few Mobile Suit: Gundam games that don't get enough credit. Encounters in space combines space combat feel with third person shooter & hack n slash game play. Dives deep into the universal century continuity of Gundam and had a large variety of suits to use.

Another Gundam game that is little known woudl be Mobile Suit: Zeonic Front, where you play on the side of series antagonists, The Principality of Zeon and their various campaigns on earth. A more strategic shooter game. I'm a bit surprised it got the full U.S. release. That and it's got the most kick ass intro vid of all time. 

• 2 years later...

Donkey Kong on the Game Boy. It starts of like the original arcade game, but it then reveals itself as a much a larger and more in depth game. One of the best puzzle platformers out there IMO.

Edited by Cash In

Opoona! Easily one of my favorite games on the Wii and virtually unheard of, though it's gotten a decent cult following lately. It's a really creative little JRPG where you play as the titular Opoona, an alien from a planet where everyone can control orbs that float around their body. What I love about the game is, despite it's trippy visuals and science-fantasy storyline, it's surprisingly grounded. For the first good chunk of the game, you're not on a quest to save the world, hunting a bad guy or even going on an adventure, you're just doing your job, going to school and making friends. With a wonderful soundtrack and great characters, it's a gem of a game.

The Adventure of Hourai High School! It's like, the only high school themed RPG (a surprisingly common genre) that sticks to a High School aesthetic, for the most part at least. It's an amusing JRPG where you form a party of outcasts at a weird high school and fight bullies, prefects, mall Santas, elephants from hell ("Hellephants"), aliens, your homeroom teacher and gods of Hindu mythology. It's pretty easy and the balance of characters is terrible but it's still a fun playthrough.

Snoopy Concert! It's just a really fun, relaxing and cute puzzle/point-and-click adventure game for the SNES. Nothing groundbreaking or deep, but a fun treat with great visuals.