Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First pony drawing

Catpone Cerberus

So I drew  a pony.

It's my new ponysona/OC and it's my first pony drawing ever, and any drawing actually in long long time.

I forgot to erase some lines but nevermind that.

post-35322-0-52622100-1455647695_thumb.png

I made lines show better with gimp

post-35322-0-72357400-1455647721_thumb.png

Warning!, pictures are huge.

So....yeah.

Feel free to give critique.

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 8

Excellent for a first attempt ^-^

Here's some advice on drawing ponies through an image i made a while back ;)

[ Note.. Full sized image is pretty big :/ ]

u6TldOs.png

Hope this helped and stuff ;)

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 2

Excellent for a first attempt ^-^

Here's some advice on drawing ponies through an image i made a while back ;)

[ Note.. Full sized image is pretty big :/ ]

u6TldOs.png

Hope this helped and stuff ;)

Thank you. :)

That will come handy when I draw again in future.  :D

• Brohoof 1

My advice on your art specifically though:

All that it really needs is some work on the proportions and stuff..

Also, It's best to practice with just standard blank pieces of paper, it might seem like you'd be more accurate
with the sizes by using a grid but it's best to learn to use blank paper and develop a knack for getting proportions
right without having to rely on a grid, grids also make the art less appealing to look at compared to blank paper..

Personally. when practicing It's best to draw a small pony rather than a big one..
I guess you could say it's a little pony :lol:

But yeah.. jokes aside, drawing smaller gives many MANY advantages:

- It saves paper, ink, graphite by being smaller..
- Saves time by minimizing how long it takes to erase mistakes..
- If one is un-proportioned and you don't like it, you can just make another one on another part of the page..
- If you're happy with your pony, you're free to add more to the scene, like other ponies or backgrounds..
- In a 50 page book you could have 50 full ponies.. Or 250 little ponies! If there were 5 smaller ones on each page..
- It's easier to draw curves and shapes when drawing small, It's a lot harder otherwise..
- You can always make a bigger version by using the little one as a reference ^-^
- (insert more stuff here)

But yeah.. Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Oh, and don't be afraid to try your own style ;)
EDIT2: Also.. I find 2H as the best pencil for sketching and drawing,
You can always use a fine-liner to outline your pony when you're done and happy..
My personal favorite fine-liner would be the Artline®200 0.4 :D
EDIT3: Edit overload :lol: I also find it good to "border" or "section off" The part of the page you want to use as your scene..
Though it does seem to limit, it does help you figure out what size evrything needs to be to look good.. and where characters
should be positioned when making things like comics.. Like this one i made ages ago..

HknyzsC.jpg

Which of course can be Digitized later, if that's what you wanna do :P

XvGw3XN.png

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 2

Also, It's best to practice with just standard blank pieces of paper, it might seem like you'd be more accurate with the sizes by using a grid but.....

I appreciate this hint, but I can't really choose my paper right now. :kindness:

It's best to draw a small pony rather than a big one..

I noticed when I started drawing that it could be better to make smaller but I started it already so I finished it. :lol:

I appreciate your advice. ^_^

Here it is colored with computer and with few other things.

post-35322-0-06963200-1455720295_thumb.png

(full picture is pretty big)

Smaller picture

post-35322-0-14104900-1455724224_thumb.png

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

I appreciate this hint, but I can't really choose my paper right now. :kindness:

I noticed when I started drawing that it could be better to make smaller but I started it already so I finished it. :lol:

I appreciate your advice. ^_^

Here it is colored with computer and with few other things.

attachicon.gifaccsesoories_nimmarilla.png

Here's an idea.. Made some saddlebags for 'im..

With a little pocket on the side for your music player to sit in ^-^

• Brohoof 2

Heehee, Nice ;)

Btw, if you want to make some nice art here are 2 programs and 1 other thing I highly recommend you use :)

- GIMP: Great free image editor/creator.. Rivaling Photoshop, it's perfect for editing and adding special effects to art you make,

Though it does make okay ponies with practice, using other software to make the art then editing later with GIMP is best ;)

- Inkscape: An excellent vector graphics program.. A free alternative to the super expensive Flash (the program that the animators and artists of MLP:FiM use), It does have a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you will always use it for ponies or any other art you may wish to make with it.. :D

- Pencil and paper (and other stationary) :P Though drawing art completely digital can be achieved without any drawing guides, it certainly does help.. Also you can draw from anywhere, whilst digital work is limited to having a computer around.. Drawing by hand gives you freedom to draw at any time and "digitize" at a later stage :)

• Brohoof 1

Heehee, Nice ;)

Btw, if you want to make some nice art here are 2 programs and 1 other thing I highly recommend you use :)

- GIMP: Great free image editor/creator.. Rivaling Photoshop, it's perfect for editing and adding special effects to art you make,

Though it does make okay ponies with practice, using other software to make the art then editing later with GIMP is best ;)

- Inkscape: An excellent vector graphics program.. A free alternative to the super expensive Flash (the program that the animators and artists of MLP:FiM use), It does have a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you will always use it for ponies or any other art you may wish to make with it.. :D

- Pencil and paper (and other stationary) :P Though drawing art completely digital can be achieved without any drawing guides, it certainly does help.. Also you can draw from anywhere, whilst digital work is limited to having a computer around.. Drawing by hand gives you freedom to draw at any time and "digitize" at a later stage :)

I use GIMP  :squee:

And I use mostly pencil but I make things like bracelets on computer because there is lot of erasing. :kindness:

I draw pretty unfrequently and haven't never really planned to make it regular hobby. I draw when I feel like it. :please:

But still again. Thanks ^_^

• Brohoof 2

One more thing.. Scale large images down to a smaller size.. (using GIMP or another chosen program)

Unnecessarily large images are.. well.. unnecessarily large..

Cropping them to a size that is for fitting for viewing is better than having an image like this:

HqDM4ZQ.png

When you can have a scaled image like this:

0vbTT8P.png

Which is much easier to look at and observe..

But yeah, that's it for tonight.. I'm off to bed, G'night..

And keep up the good work with future artwork :D

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

One more things.. Scale large images down to a smaller size.. (using GIMP or another chosen program)

Unnecessarily large images are.. well.. unnecessarily large..

Cropping them to a size that is for fitting for viewing is better than having an image like this:

HqDM4ZQ.png

When you can have a scaled image like this:

0vbTT8P.png

Which is much easier to look at and observe..

But yeah, that's it for tonight.. I'm off to bed, G'night..

And keep up the good work with future artwork :D

I noticed hugeness of pictures just after saddlebag image :D

And thanks. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

I read give critiqe so here i am, the lurker of mlpforums.

Simply put you need practice, this is somthing that can turn the average joe into a Leonardo da Vinci or was it Caprio?

anyways

You need time to learn your own style of art, this is something that differs between artists. It is what allows them draw with style and ease.

Many artists learn through doodling, such as drawing stick figures or just making swirlies in the corner of a page! It is what helps them to discover what strokes are easy and a challenge to make, it also helps to strengthen their artistic muscle.

Like a muscle, your art will become better as you work at it, trying to make something you know you cant is a great way to learn! By trying new things, your experience grows shaping you into the great artist your born to be. But don't try to copy another artists work! If they have any bad drawing habits you will pick them up as you copy them, instead take reference from them, add your own flare to it, and then sign and date it to keep track of how you improve over time!

Drawing basic shapes and then adding detail is another great way to flex your artistic biceps, it helps you to learn to smoothen or stiffen the lines your create. Adding details can assist you in identifying patterns pleasing to the eye. You can also draw freeform, but try and make two lines next to each other similar while changing over time, this can really help to practice drawing hair or clothing.

Keep at it! practice means perfect and you are improving!

Edited by Hisoka
  • Brohoof 1

I read give critiqe so here i am, the lurker of mlpforums.

Simply put you need practice, this is somthing that can turn the average joe into a Leonardo da Vinci or was it Caprio?

anyways

You need time to learn your own style of art, this is something that differs between artists. It is what allows them draw with style and ease.

Many artists learn through doodling, such as drawing stick figures or just making swirlies in the corner of a page! It is what helps them to discover what strokes are easy and a challenge to make, it also helps to strengthen their artistic muscle.

Like a muscle, your art will become better as you work at it, trying to make something you know you cant is a great way to learn! By trying new things, your experience grows shaping you into the great artist your born to be. But don't try to copy another artists work! If they have any bad drawing habits you will pick them up as you copy them, instead take reference from them, add your own flare to it, and then sign and date it to keep track of how you improve over time!

Drawing basic shapes and then adding detail is another great way to flex your artistic biceps, it helps you to learn to smoothen or stiffen the lines your create. Adding details can assist you in identifying patterns pleasing to the eye. You can also draw freeform, but try and make two lines next to each other similar while changing over time, this can really help to practice drawing hair or clothing.

Keep at it! practice means perfect and you are improving!

Thank you.

I appreciate your opinion and tips. :)