Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Youtube; Where's the Fair Use?

Floris

A lot of you may have noticed the problems youtubers are facing a lot.

This video by Doug Walker (the Nostalgia Critic) has started to directly call out on these problems.

Just wanted to share the video and raise awareness..

This is a must watch if you spend quite a lot of time on youtube.

#WTFU

Edited by Floris
  • Brohoof 18

Thank you. More people need to be aware of the situation with fair use on YouTube, and that unjustified taking down of videos that are fair use needs to stop. I'm just glad that myself and friends have managed to stay out of being copyright striked, and that hopefully more people will become aware of the issues.

Wow! I just watched that video on NC's website, Channel Awesome.com. I wonder if any Brony Youtubers like Dr. Wolf or Silver Quill has seen this...

Normally, I'm not too concerned with the technicals of copyright and I spend my time on YouTube watching and commenting, but yeah, this is a problem for content makers. 

I pretty much agree with this though there is one thing they didn't mention that I feel is the reason YouTube has been getting away with this for years: Lack of competition.

YouTube is pretty much an empire for video related content. Sure there are sites like Vimeo and Dailymotion but those are no where near as known as YouTube. Heck, I've only heard of them from reviewers I follow when they need an alternate site to post the video away from all the copyright bullshit.

Because there's no other primary video hosting site as big as YouTube, they can get away with whatever BS they want and people will still come to their sites. 

What YouTube needs is another site to get as big as YouTube, then maybe when they see that site doing the right things, they can lighten up a little with their policies. 

On a side note, I find it funny how YouTube has been trying to crack down on copyright when the most subscribed to channel is a lets player.

• Brohoof 5

This has been a longtime issue for me. People don't want to spend money just to watch a single episode of their favorite show and I understand that. It's inconvenient and adds unnecessary payments to our lives. Why spend $1.99 for a single 22-minute episode. That's like over $50 if you want to invest in watching/rewatching an entire season of MLP. "Fair use" bypasses that in an effort for us to save money so that way we can use it in other ways instead of always having to pay for something that we can only watch once, and then having to pay again to rewatch it. 

Good to see many of you are seeing the major problem here.

It also effects brony content creators.. But this goes beyond that; every content creator on youtube is struggling with this, really.

So spread the word; these things stop if more then enough voices band together and actually start calling out these problems!

Copyright is an absolutely messed up system on YouTube. People like Doug and YourMovieSucksDotOrg have to deal with this nonsense even when their videos are clearly within fair use terms, but then huge Let's Player's don't seem to have these issues. Smaller ones do, but the most massive ones? They are essentially free from these problems, it is all about who YouTube deems worthy and that to me is a corporate bias if I have ever seen one. Especially since I think reviewers are far more worthy to be exempt from these strikes than Let's Players. 

• Brohoof 3

The problme is youtube is so big that most of the time i automatic robots running around. and how many tiems do real people see the counter claims. probably very little as most of those claming things have automatic refusal code. i'm not kidding.

AND even when someone sees the counterclamin they greedy marketing department will reject it anyway under any conciquencs becuase they know they can get away with it. they are allowing companies to bully  the internet

YouTube is freaking messed up, Google needs another company to come around to give them some genuine competition that users would rally with. Easier said than done now that YouTube's literally becoming a plutocratic skynet, but I can dream. Maybe the advent of html5 will help push things along.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen many cases of YouTube's copyright system being fucked up, from YouTubers like Spax3 and the Irate Gamer who used YouTube's Copyright system to take down videos about them, and companies like Viacom and Fox which dont know the meaning of fair use. YouTube still hasnt fixed their copyright, and that even that "Fair Use program" from what i heard, doesnt do shit for helping out people with copyright. Plus i've also saw a different flavour of this, where Rucka Rucka Ali's channel got suspended once because of his sense of humour he uses in his songs. Although another flavour of this i saw too, is the FineBros ReactWorld thing, where The Fine Bros basically try to copyright "react" and despite that the finebros said they wouldnt take down people's vids, they did. Which led to rants by a lot of people i know, i first heard about it and then i saw PIEGUYRULZ's video on it.

Edited by TominatorXX2

I remember MrEnter also dealt with that before, along with his account being terminated due to copyright strikes, and on top of that, he also made an animated atrocity on the YouTube Copyright School Happy Tree Friends video that it makes you watch.

Edited by TominatorXX2

I hate to be the pessimist here, but do we really believe the corrupt tyrant that is YouTube is going to do anything but squash these attempts or ignore them?

I Remember ADoseofBuckley also made a video about YouTube's Copyright with "petey the play button", and he had to deal with copyright on some of his musical autopsy videos and top worst music videos, and many people probably feel the same way as you about this, Since YouTube is shit. I think some people left YouTube due to that. It's also why filmnstuff doesnt use music at the end of his videos anymore, along with his reviews on Star wars: empire strikes back and one other game being taken down along with a rebuttal for the same video of the game that i dont fully remember. Plus to my knowledge, the cloest thing to a competitor for YouTube is Blip.tv

Edited by TominatorXX2

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that there have been an ENDLESS amount of youtubers saying that this is a problem, and they've been talking about it for literally years now. And yet, YouTube just always ignores them. As if they mean nothing.

Edited by FlootahBaby
  • Brohoof 2

I"m supirse Let play kind of seris havn't ben made exstinct wit al lthe copyright bullcrap.  Like gams lik fallout 4 or Xcom 2 can be stremaed wit being flagge cause hsoe compine know it free advertising.  but greedy ompn y lik Sony or vicom ant all the omney s oty post vid on THIER channels and comprigh everyone else.

it bulcrap

The more I hear about this, the more I'm beginning to see this as a system designed to screw with people make a living off making videos. I mean, the money these people make looks like chump change compared to how much companies like Sony are earning. 

Somehow, I've got a feeling they're trying to monopolize the entertainment industry by stopping people from getting in it independently. I may be wrong though since I'm not too well versed in these kinds of things. 

• Brohoof 1

Pretty crappy, if you ask me. What the big league players are doing ain't right. Nothing's sacred anymore. All the little guy's rights are being stripped away.

It's long time we make some noise and fight this

The more I hear about this, the more I'm beginning to see this as a system designed to screw with people make a living off making videos. I mean, the money these people make looks like chump change compared to how much companies like Sony are earning. 

Somehow, I've got a feeling they're trying to monopolize the entertainment industry by stopping people from getting in it independently. I may be wrong though since I'm not too well versed in these kinds of things.

can't say I blame that line of thinking

Nowadays, it's all too easy for a nobody to gain notoriety off YT, and be an indie content creator

The Industry would much rather have you sell your soul and own you. More money for them to market you. Shutting down and silencing content creators with false claims of copyright seems like big I is running scared. Trying to nip the success of CC's in the bud.

They SHOULD be afraid of what we can do.

• Brohoof 1