Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What are/were your Study Habits?

Vulcan

I'm not exactly a "straight A" student , and lately I've been losing my determination in studying , so I've been wondering how you guys handle it. 

to put my two cents in, 

My study habits are...well right now...I have none , I wait till the last minute , then panic o_o 

What are your study habits? and if it applies, what motivates you to study?

• Brohoof 2

I didn't usually study. I got good grades, and I was great at absorbing a lot of information and remembering it. I don't go to school, now. 

When I did study, I did it by talking. I talked about what I was studying to whoever was around me. The thing that motivated me to study was being interested in the subject. If I didn't find it interesting, I didn't talk about it.

• Brohoof 1

I usually just looked over the study guide the day before the exam. Then right before the exam, I'd look over it again quickly to refresh my memory.

That worked well for most things, but math was an exception. I had to do a ton of practice problems after every lesson to get it down, and even then, I would often still do poorly on the exams.

Nearly non-existent. I rarely studied for anything, as it just bogged me down. The only times I did were when I was actually at school itself, if I had free time I would maybe study, but my mind is usually all over the place.

Pretty much the same for me. I have a job to worry about, and my dad to cook and clean for. I never study outside of school. I usually just get up at 5 so I have time to use the computer lab before school starts (speaking of, I should probably start heading there).

Well, i tend to surround myself with friends and we do the gym-buddy tactic; when one of you wants to quit, the others push him forward.

Other than that i basically just go over all the materials from top to bottom and make sure to get my hands on exam files from the same subject. I use these files as practice dummies in order to get a better understanding of what types of questions i might be asked to answer.

Eat right. Have plenty of rest and don't play too much on the computer, watch TV etc. Keep your mind as clean and as focused as possible. You would wish to use every quantum of energy and focus for the exam.

My course is online due to the university I enrolled in being the next state over and generally when I study and work on the course work, I slap my headphones on loud as the go and blast metal or have something on youtube in the background. If it's silent I get bored and distracted easy but background noise gives me this unbreakable focus :P

It varies from subject to subject, but for maths it was a case of learn theory, do questions, learn theory, do questions ... and finish by doing the previous papers as mock exams (if they are available. If not, more questions, ideally of the same sort as you will find in the exam.)

That's the method that worked for me in my given subject. Actually following it (or some other method that you choose) ... I can't say for certain. Having a schedule helped me, and starting early meant I didn't feel overwhelmed. If you struggle with some aspect, ask for help... all very generic advice, I admit.

If you can look back and discover how you learn then that will be incredibly useful for the rest of your life - I found that drawing shapes to represent ideas helped me to remember obscure theorems and proofs, which meant that my exam papers ended up covered in mysterious glyphs that (to my mind) showed me how to prove theorem x, but that won't work for everyone. 

In high school, yeah I had really no study habits... Then got to university and well, nearly got my ass kicked

I'm now in my last semester, and have got my study habits down pat and have been personally very successful with them. For memorizing/theory based courses I consult lecture notes and the text book and jot down notes (usually in word) for absolutely every fact/theory that may or may not be important. I do this because I personally absorb absolutely nothing from reading alone. From that alone, I can usually pin point significant areas and focus further studies on them. Then, I usually make charts/tables/flow charts or diagrams of each major theory/component, and then try to draw links between each diagram. Finally, I will go over practice questions/exams if any are available.

For more analytical/calculation intensive courses I usually skip all of the above sections. I skip straight to doing questions. I do as many questions as I can find, as many times over as I have time for. Practice, practice, practice till every question becomes like second nature to you. I only consult textbooks/other resources if I come across a problem/problem type that I struggle with or cannot do. For these types of questions/study, google is your best friend. You would be shocked how many detailed answers you can find by simply typing in the question word for word into google.

• Brohoof 1

For small tests throughout the year I barely study and do pretty well. But for my half year and end of year exams I start studying about a week before. That got me 5th place in my year so it worked pretty well.

I never really had the problem of doing work at the last minute unless it was for homework though I was also start studying about a week before my exam. As I'm in college now and I've got assignments to do, i have to start work on them once iI get them.

What motivates me to study/work is the fact that I want to succeed and want to be happy with the grades I got which is normally the highest mark, If I don't get the highest mark then i get upset. Though I'm still not that focused when working at home since I'm easily distracted.

I normally do not study until the night before or the morning of my exams.

I tend to retain information better when i'm in a hurry.

I just read back my lessons and try to see what I'm bad at (generally everything) so I can look up some exercises to do online.

I get my motivation to study from the pressure that my mom puts on me, I can't get a bad grade or i'll get grounded

I'm not exactly a "straight A" student , and lately I've been losing my determination in studying , so I've been wondering how you guys handle it. 

to put my two cents in, 

My study habits are...well right now...I have none , I wait till the last minute , then panic o_o 

What are your study habits? and if it applies, what motivates you to study?

Really all depends on the level of education you're talking about and the subjects, for something like Mathematics, repetition is the key. The more you use the formulas and equations, the easier it was for me to remember how they work. For things like history facts, geography and etc, I found that writing down your notes or if you have study guide, looking for the answers to the questions and writing them out a number of times. Or even re-writing your notes, if you write down something more times, the stronger it lasts in your mind.

*Edit: I just realized that you have an Undertale icon... and You're not full of Determination? lol

Edited by MangaKamen
  • Brohoof 2

Yeaaaaah

Studying for me was glancing over the study sheet five minutes before the test lol. Other than math (which I sucked at/still suck at) I never really did too bad on the tests lol.

I tired to study at home but I couldn't do it. I got distracted too easy.

-Study

--Fail Test

-Don't Study

--Pass Test

Yeah, I never studied for tests as for whatever reason studying usually made me do worse on a test than if I never studied in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to procrastinate a lot when studying, often waiting until the night before. The way I study is by looking at my information, then covering it up and almost making it like a little quiz where I'll see a word or definition and try to get the correct answer. So basically, I use the note card strategy, except I'm too lazy to make actual note cards, so I use my raw notes or whatever I have available to me.  :lol:

I never studied. Never. I didn't take school seriously and my grades reflected that.

The only thing that got me through school was the fact that I'm an ace at taking tests, meaning I would actually try at test time.