Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What are/were your Study Habits?

Vulcan

I start to study out in advance of whatever i've got coming. For example, I would do a bit of studying here and there in preparation for exams. This way, I don't overstress and overextend myself. For academic writing, I usually start right after I get the assignment and work on it until it is done. Unless it's a final paper, where I would pace myself, writing a bit here and there over the span of a month or so.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Way too self-paced sometimes. Have to set up some reasonable objectives and checkpoints when studying stuff else I'll just feel like temporarily giving up indefinitely.

• Brohoof 1

I do everything as early as possible. In school I do my homework as soon as I get home, sometimes before even eating. That's because I'm very lazy and otherwise thoughts like "I have to do it, I can't escape it. When I finish *what I'm doing right now*, I will have to do it anyway" would hunt me until I finally do the homework

• Brohoof 1

1. complete stuff way before its due / do practice papers

2. get feedback off teachers

3. apply feedback

4. ????

5. get good marks

• 2 years later...

I either finished what I needed to do right away really quickly, or procrastinate quite a bit, so my study habits were all over the place. Surprisingly, I averaged A- while taking the most challenging courses at a prestigious high school, so make of that what you will.

• 2 weeks later...

Motivation. I need to have some type of motivation or at least a tutor to help me study.  I would go over word terms and study guides over and over. I tried not to memorize but rather understand the materials. That being said, that’s why I need a huge motivation or interest on the topic in order for me to study well. I also depends on tutors to help me in case I lose motivation to study.

I was a difficult student at school. My biggest problem was - to truly learn something I had to be interested in something. That's why for example on history classes when we talked about ancient Egypt i was a walking encyclopedia, but romanticism was exhausting to me (especially literature from that period was difficult to handle for me as some ideals from those times are downright toxic). 

I have a strong need to understand what I am learning. That's my utmost motivation and without it I am unable to get anywhere with my studies or goals. I never liked the approach of memorizing something as then it feels like a waste of time and space. Unfortunately that led to me receiving rather average grades, because not even a possibility to receive a D/C for my lack of effort was enough to intimidate me into learning the way polish schools back then wanted me to learn - by mindlessly remembering stuff. 

I don't work well under pressure, in fact - apply pressure on me, tell me to hurry and likely I will fail xD School paid little attention to that and, much to my disappointment never understood why my homework was always flawless yet my schoolwork that demanded brainless RUSH was average at best. It was believed that I copied it/parents did my homework, a problem especially in high school as most teachers there were... pretty bad if I were honest.

I know that what I wrote sounds like typical excuse of average student always blaming teachers for his shortcomings, but unfortunately I really had bad luck with plenty of teachers:worry: Fortunately there were those who took their time to understand me and with them I always got A as my final grade :toldya: