Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Do video games frustrate you easily?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

It frustrates me easily when videogames take control away from the player with overabundance of unskippable cutscenes, quick time events, or just shitty unresponsive controls >.<

Does that count? :o 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, video games consistently make me mad, frustrated and upset more than just about anything I can think of. I'm typically calm and collected and I'm a really good sport, but video games take me from Lady Jekyll to Miss Hyde in a heartbeat. It seems as though video games are designed to put your emotions right on the edge and then, when you're at your weakest and most vulnerable, throw every possible irritation and outrage they can summon to the screen in an avalanche of stupidity, cliche and impossibility.

Where shooters are concerned, no human animal has ever been capable of shooting a monster the requisite eleven times right in the melon (unless they're one of these twelve year old prodigies) and survive the simultaneous attack of dozens of other monsters (which often materialize out of nowhere in a closed room that's already been searched and secured). It's unrealistic, frustrating and I always end up dead. And since when does a whole clip of ammo to the noggin fail to bring down even the most minor of beasties? Why do bosses, who by definition are the baddest of the bad, always seem to need twenty or more backup henchmen to erode my health bar when I'm trying to fight? Why does every game seem to follow the same exact format to the extent that I can tell you two stages ahead of time what's going to happen and when? 

There's no originality, the opponents are impossible to defeat and almost every game I play seems to repeat these factors to the letter. 

Quest games have often succeeded in drawing me in only to face me with an impossible obstacle halfway through the game, bringing everything grinding to a halt just as it's getting interesting. 

Even 'game' games like Mario Party, etc, let me down because they never work the way they're supposed to. The controls aren't intuitive (I shouldn't have to hold one button down while pressing two others simultaneously to perform the simplest task), and button mashing is impossible, at least for me.  

When I'm compelled to play, as is often the case with my friends or family, I get stressed out because I know what's coming and dread making myself into the creature I become behind the joystick. I lose myself and my dignity; often swearing with such vitriol that most people would assume I'm possessed by some dark entity. I hate video games and what they turn me into. Even though they're just games, they push all of my buttons and take away that perspective. It's shameful really, and I want no part of them. :pout: 

No, I don't get easily frustrated and when I do get frustrated, the game seems to go better. Reasons for me getting frustrated are losing because of bugs, bad controls and other things that has nothing to do with my skill. Sometimes I get frustrated when something is simply hard but that's more rare.

Yes, they do tend to frustrate me quite a lot. Some levels may have buggy or annoying gameplay and it doesn't really feel that good to die at those spots. I might lose a Smash Bros tournament and feel salty about it. Though I do keep in mind that it is indeed just a game and I don't overreact, at least externally. When I'm repeatedly dying in a game, my thoughts yell quite loudly in frustration, though I don't actually feel as frustrated as the internal screaming sounds like.

Quite the opposite. A problem I face with most games is that I hardly feel invested in them anymore. So if I get killed over and over, I'll probably just get bored and stop playing.

But the same goes if I find the gameplay boring. So really, I don't get angry at games these days. Most of them I don't finish anyway.

When I feel like I wasted my time doing something unrewarding, this usually happens to me when experimenting with new games. Like when a game gives you unlimited fetch quests, kill all these things, kill this leader and gives you some pretty abyssal-mil rewards for doing so. I don't mind grinding but so long as it's towards something I find to be interesting and worth the time and effort in the long run. 

Other Tid Bits

• People who don't support the team when there is a means to help a fellow team mate.
  • People that try to exploit the system and ruin it for others.
  • Mic spam and general toxic public chatter.
  • Clans, nothing worse than playing with randoms against a good clan.
  • Lag, not as strong a hate but over time it gets on the nerves.

And am sure there are lots of other things that I can't think of right now, but you get a general idea.

Yes, definitely. Especially online competitive games. I tend to become extremely toxic very easily when it comes to them:D

It really depends on what game, but these are the games that frustrate me the most

Pokemon Duel - Landing Miss segments and not landing white attacks with high power and purple attacks

Maple Story - Crashes and d/cing is what made me frustrated

Yes all the time, because I despise losing. I've gone a majority of my life losing in just about everything; be it athletics, academics, height, looks, and basically whatever else you can think of. And video games are one place I felt that I accel more than the average person.

But I still lose quite frequently and it just eats away at me knowing someone beat me. That results in less than appropriate language.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i've always had a patient attitude to things I enjoy unlike a friend a of mine. I've played games like Megaman, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden and fighting games at max difficulty and while yeah I did get frustrated it almost never got hard ENOUGH that I yelled, threw a controller or punched something. Most likely I quit playing and took a break for a few days to come back later or just stop playing all together. But thats not until I get demoralized from dying repeatedly in the same location.

I dont take competitive gaming as serious as others I know as well. I much prefer to play with a casual attitude and enjoy the team gameplay rather than focusing on the "winning" aspect". That same person who gets upset while gaming is a massive tryhard and will only play if he thinks he can win. He's hyper competitive and hates to lose so much he has thrown controllers and punched monitors. He however mostly plays team based games like Overwatch and LoL and considering you rely on your team doing their jobs you will quickly find him bitching that his team is making him lose. Which I cannot deny is frustrating knowing you're only losing because your team isnt taking it seriously.

Single player games don't frustrate me, but competitive multiplayer games do. Specifically, fighting games. I feel like a masochist some times. It makes me question why I like playing these types of games when I find them frustrating at times. Other times, I just want to play for fun and I could care less whether I win or lose.

If it's a really competitive game then I get frustrated as everyone always seems to target me for no reason in addition to the controls acting out of whack. In other games, if I find myself facing a difficult puzzle, a difficult opponent, or the controls become unresponsive, I get frustrated. I'm someone who needs to be in complete control when playing and not feeling picked on by what the game contains.

• Brohoof 1

I was a lot more chill as a kid, but these days online competitive games get to me really quickly, fighting, sport, you name it. With friends it's fine but if it's with someone I dont know then I get annoyed easily

I used to get angry a lot. I would start screaming at the game and throw my controller and that sort of thing. Honestly the games I'd get mad at were Mario games and Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart :rarity: The only games I didn't get mad at were Wario World and Street Fighter lmao. 

Definitely, but I don't really get angry.

I've been playing a lot of Overwatch recently and I do get a lot of rounds where my team loses - but I Just pick myself up and keep trying until I get a win. Stay positive and keep trying!

Yes, mainly because I suck at them and I see people doing better than me. Online games get me the worst, especially Splatoon or more recently ARMS. I also get frustrated playing ranked modes because I end up loosing a lot and dropping ranks. I tend to avoid ranked mode now.

Not really, in competitive games I usually laugh it off and in single players I just decide that I've done something wrong, or laugh my ass off from bugs that cause my death :P